Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2006 9:30:29 PM EDT
I just recently bought a used G19 and have not been able to get any kind of decent group out of it yet, this is after about 500 rounds.  My best group at 20 meters is probly 5 inches for 5 shots, and 3 inches at 10 meters.  I seem to have alot of shots were I think I made a good shot to find random stray shots on the target.  I was questioning my ability, but I shot my roommates kimber and put 14 rounds right on top of each other at 20 meters the first time I ever shot it.  It is a gen. 2 G19.  I really just want a good target/range pistol since that is all it is for.  Whats your input?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:59:19 PM EDT
[#1]
how used/what generation is it?  possible the barrel is shot out?

is this your first glock?  if so it may take a bit of getting used to with the different grip angle and all.

otherwise, just keep shooting and you'll get the hang of it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:07:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I could ask all kinds of questions about how you are shooting, but I won't.

It's you.

Get a trainer to look you over and give pointers.

We've all been there.  Keep working on it.  Like Soljah said, you'll get the hang of it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:41:01 AM EDT
[#3]

Most likelt... like above post, it's probably you.  Glock is kind of funny that way... not everyone can shoot it  accurately.  Keep at  it and you'll get the hang of it.  If you must, you can always borrow a gun rest at the range and make sure it's not  the Glock.

~nb
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:54:15 AM EDT
[#4]
if you are used to a 4lbs. 1911 trigger it will take some time to get used to the GLOCK trigger...it will just take some practice.  Try this:  Shoot one round keep your finger depressed on the trigger; slowly release the trigger until you hear the click and then fire again.  Keeping in mind all the fundamentals of course e.g. sight alignment, sight picture, slowly squeeze trigger, etc.  You should see some dramatic improvement in accuracy.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:00:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't think it's shot out.  I know a few people who've worn some factory Glock barrels out but this was after 100K each.  More than likely you're not used to the trigger of the Glock.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:08:04 AM EDT
[#6]
20 metres?

Five inch group?

There is a problem?

I will give you 350$ for that POS.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:10:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I go very often to a public indoor range and cannot remember when I last time saw somebody shooting a 5" group at 20 yards.

If you want to get a 3" group, you will need a different connector, an overtravel stop and quality ammo.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:18:57 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I go very often to a public indoor range and cannot remember when I last time saw somebody shooting a 5" group at 20 yards.

Most of the time I see 10" group at 10 yards!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:31:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I just recently bought a used G19 and have not been able to get any kind of decent group out of it yet, this is after about 500 rounds.  My best group at 20 meters is probly 5 inches for 5 shots, and 3 inches at 10 meters.  I seem to have alot of shots were I think I made a good shot to find random stray shots on the target.  I was questioning my ability, but I shot my roommates kimber and put 14 rounds right on top of each other at 20 meters the first time I ever shot it.  It is a gen. 2 G19.  I really just want a good target/range pistol since that is all it is for.  Whats your input?

Glocks are great combat/duty pistols. They are also great "range" pistols... but "target" pistols they are not. If you want something that will intuitively punch a ragged hole at 20+ meters, get something besides a Glock. And for what it's worth, I shot a guy's Kimber .45 at the range once and shot the best group I've ever shot with a pistol at 25 yards. Then I went back to my Glocks and they still wouldn't do it.

I wouldn't be too quick to say it's ALL you. I've never had a Glock that was a great grouper out past 15 yards or so... and some Glocks shoot better than others based on my experience. My new Glock 22 duty pistol shoots circles around the one I had before. It was older, but not worn out at all.

So, if you want a target pistol that shoots tiny groups at 20M, my advice is to get something besides a Glock. I love my Glocks, and especially my G19... but they are not target guns.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:01:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Is this your first Glock?  Glock triggers are so different from others I have hard time switing to USPc SA trigger.

That said, one of the advantages of Glock is that you can dry fire millions of times without fear of damaging firing pin.  So, put your ammo and mags in another room and while watching TV or dvd (preferably plots involving guns), dry fire as many as possible.  When you do about 10,000 dry fires, your finger will so get used to the Glock safe action trigger.

Beware, this tends to ruin your trigger finger when you shoot other guns
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:16:28 PM EDT
[#11]
thanks, for all the advice, after futher reseach of my pistol, i found that it has the + disconnect which is an 8 lb. pull.  I think i am going to try a 3.5 or 5 and see how much that helps.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:26:43 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
thanks, for all the advice, after futher reseach of my pistol, i found that it has the + disconnect which is an 8 lb. pull.  I think i am going to try a 3.5 or 5 and see how much that helps.

Personally I wouldn't go below 5# if you plan on carrying it. Our duty pistols are 5# and it's plenty light enough once you get used to the Glock trigger pull.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:45:52 PM EDT
[#13]
It's all about trigger reset with the Glock.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:50:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Learn to shoot well with the 5# and then get a Scherer 3.5# connector. That is what I did and I am very accurate with my G19.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:17:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Listen to my story..I had a 19 years ago that was new. I shot the same groups as you and figured that's what Glocks are capable of......Until one day i tried the 26 and shot little tiny groups that my 19 could only dream about. Next gunshow I traded my 19 for a 26 and never looked back... I'm 36 and been shooting since I was 10..Handguns since I was 23...I own 6 glocks and 5 of them shoot superb. i have'nt shot my New 21 yet but plan on it tommorow. I don't like the 19...Just all the others...Rich
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top