Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2006 4:48:58 PM EDT
I have a G30, love it but it is expensive to feed. I'm still new to glocks and was curious about what the real deal is with reloading them? I have never done any relaoding before but this would be a good excuse to start. Almost makes me wish I got a 9mm just for the ammo cost..... ALMOST

Really I am just looking to do cheap plinking/practice and ball is fine. I would still use commercial ammo  for defense.

So whats the deal?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:20:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll take a stab at this:

Glock barrels have polygonal rifling and that creates a much better seal (bullet-to-barrel). Using lead will leave deposits because they are not jacketed and the pressure will get greater and greater with more lead building up until the pressure is too great and a failure occurs.

Try hitting up your local Wal-Mart for the .45ACP WWB value packs or find some Blazer online.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:31:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Glocks have  generous chambers.... this is done to facilitate reliable feeding in rough conditions.  As a result the brass that comes out of glock chambers is often stretched larger than with other pistols.  The problem is particularly acute in the ramp are where there is sometimes a noticable bulge, and more prelevent in the high power cartridges (10mm and 40 mostly).   Some barrels are worse than others.   If you're curious about your barrel, take a piece of fired  brass and set it on a perfectly flat surface (counter top or table).  Get down so the surface is at eye level and roll the brass along the surface.  If you've got a badily bulged chamber you'll see a rythmic flashing of light along the bottom of the cartridge as it rolls.  

Where you can get into trouble is if your barrel is stretching the brass a lot and you're not taking the bulge out during the reloading process.  At best the bulge will result in spotty feeding, at worst the weekend brass will blow out catistrophically ruining all or parts of the gun.  

As noted previously, the rifeling in glock barrels doesnt tolerate shooting lead bullets...you can get away with some, but too much and the barrel will start to lead up which will increase pressures and which will increase the odds of a case failure.  

The best solution if you want to reload for your glock is to get an aftermarket barrel with a more tightly cut chamber and ramp and/or make sure your reloading process is properly resizing the brass.  

Quite frankly with 45 you're not likely to have a problem.  The 45 operates at much lower pressures, and I've never seen a glock 45 barrel that threw badily bulged brass.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:51:08 PM EDT
[#3]
i load for my glock 35 (40 s&w). so far, no problems.
the brass is definitely glocked (i load middle of the road - around 1300 f/s w/ 150's), but after a run thru the sizer, all is well.

as far as defense... since i learned to handload, the only failures i ever had was w/ commercial ammo. most recently, the same glock 35 choked on factory hardball. i guarantee you that if i am carrying the gun is loaded w/ jhp handloads.

i don't understand the mindset of carrying somebody else's loads... you wouldn't shoot a box of ammo that i rolled myself and handed you - so why would you do that w/ something somebdy else loaded? load your own, and you are in full control of the quality; everything from velocity to accuracy. the factories can (and do) screw up. i don't trust factory loads. i do trust my own handloads...  also, when you handload, your brass tends to gather in one little pile, instead of being scattered all over the range - which really is nice. get a chronograph sometime, and run the factory loads over it. you will find out that your gun is not performing anywhere close to as well as you hoped it would, and not nearly as well as you thought it was...

anyway, loading for a glock is no big deal.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:16:45 PM EDT
[#4]
If you stick with the middle of the road loads and only use plated or jacketed bullets you will be fine. I use Rainiers for my plinking rounds and have had no issues over 5000+ rounds
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:27:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Since you are talking 45ACP, which is a low pressure round, and as long as you don't try to load hot rounds, you should be fine.  I will tell you this though.  Reloading is not going to save you money.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:08:11 PM EDT
[#6]
LOL, no it won't save you money, you just end up shooting twice as much.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:19:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Since you are talking 45ACP, which is a low pressure round, and as long as you don't try to load hot rounds, you should be fine.

wurd
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:11:19 AM EDT
[#8]
As long as you study several reloading manuals watch what you are doing you should be fine.
I roll my own 9mm, .40 s&w, and 45 acp all for Glocks. Don't use lead and don't hot rod them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top