Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/13/2002 5:51:27 PM EDT
Okay, another question from the Glock newbie. This time it concerns the mag release. On my 1911s, the standard release is fine. My hands aren't big or small; they're medium size. However, on the G 19, I've really got to shift my grip to hit the mag release with my thumb. Seems that perhaps the wider circumferance of the Glock grip frame makes reaching it more difficult for me than on my 1911s.

So, should I look into getting some sort of extended/larger mag release? Do they even have such an accessory available for these things? Or would installing one interfere too much with things like draw from holstered and other considerations? Again, TIA for your input. Love this site for all that I learn!
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 5:54:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm in the same boat...

And I can't find a 'smith to do this little (Little $$$) job
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 3:31:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Just get a mag release from a G21 or G20. I have this in all my carry guns. No downside whatsoever. Also, it only takes about 30 seconds to install. Go to the Glockmeister website for details.
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 4:56:11 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm in the same boat...

And I can't find a 'smith to do this little (Little $$$) job

If you can find one at the show , I`ll put it in for ya at the shoot that day.
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 2:56:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I put an extended mag release in my 19 and found it to be too sharp.
So, I took it out and rounded it off, did a final finish with a 3M pad.
It's perfection perfected now.
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 10:58:43 AM EDT
[#5]
The extended mag release is available, but unless you are worrying about shooting matches at the local range it is better to use the regular release.  The extended release has a tendency to release at the wrong time, thus allowing the mag to slip in the frame so that the firearm malfunctions.  Many holster designs will push the extended mag release, as do a number of shooters grips.  If it is a fighting gun, leave the mag release alone.  The chances of that making a difference for the good in a real situation are far outweighed by the potential for the bad.  And they are easy to put in if you can find a Glock Armorer willing to do it.  
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 12:02:08 PM EDT
[#6]
A little late in the response, but the extended release is very easy install yourself. Takes about 5 minutes and a long thin screwdriver to reach into the spring.

Put one on my 23 and have been very happy with it. I'm a lefty, which makes it a little difficult to use  the standard release. This solved my problem.
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 12:25:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Push the mag release with the tip of the thumb and not the ball, and your problem will dissappear.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 8:58:12 AM EDT
[#8]
darm is right.  I had an extended mag release on my G19 and found that it would sometimes release in the holster.  I took it off.

It would suck to draw, fire one shot and have your magazine hit the ground.  Of course, you might have time to escape as the BG are rolling on the ground laughing.

The extended slide release, however, is a very nice feature.
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 8:15:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Currently im outfiting a Glock 19 for my GF to carry. I opted out on the extended mag release becuz some holster do tend to push the mag release. Moslty this is a problem with holsters that keep the gun nice and tight to your body. The only holster I have been able to get away with is the Fobus holsters. My Glock 26 I have on my ankle has and extended mag relelase and slde stop. I also added the perice grip finger extentions on it. Toped the whole thing off with Meprolight night sights and I have a perfect carry gun.
If you looking to add alittle somthing to your glock 19, go with the extended slide stop and the meprolight night sights. I also have been known to carry around an M3 light that snaps on my Glock 19 also. Fobus also makes a carrier for the light too...
www.fobusholster.com
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 7:45:00 PM EDT
[#10]
If you use your firearm as a weapon; NO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top