Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2006 9:41:12 PM EDT
So I am a proud new ownder of a Glock 30!  Score!  I am a cheap bastard and I am looking at Wolf ammo.  I have noticed a STRONG hatred toward this by most members of AR15 as far as pistol use, but the price is so delicious!  At Ammunition Store I can get a thousand rounds for 135 bucks!  That is outstanding.  My question is why is this a bad thing for practice ammo?   I have seen crazy tests where people attempt to destory their Glocks and can't - that is why I bought the Glock in the first place.  Why would I worry about using cheaper ammo?  

Also, for Wolf users, is the accuracy for Wolf ammo comparable to other practice ammo such as UMC or am I going to have 7 inch shot groups at 10 yards?  

Thanks for the help - be gentle.  

Phil
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:55:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I've used wolf in all my guns and never had ANY problems...

Its comparible to UMC ammo....

When I take my gun home I put good defense ammo in it though, wolf is good on the wallet, but not as good at home defense.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:58:42 PM EDT
[#2]
My biggest complaint about Wolf is that it is dirty and the lacquer will eventually gum up the firing pin channel (although not exclusive to Wolf).  There are other cheap options out there to include Winchester 100 rnd packs found at Wal-Mart.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:31:03 PM EDT
[#3]
The Wold ammo on Ammunition Store is polymer coated, which I am told is not nearly as bad as the laquer stuff.  Will this reduce the problem?  

Also, for home defense and for carry I will certainly use a much better round meant for causing serious damage.  Any recommendations?

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:36:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I've shot the Wolf .40 in my G27 without any issues.  I've also shot lots of WWB without any issues.  They both shoot accurately from the Glock, but then again, it's a Glock

Money saved on the Wolf allows me to buy more Gold Dot or Ranger carry ammo.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:38:26 PM EDT
[#5]
shoot the wolf and don't look back, just clean your weapon, works great
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:44:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I've shot lots and lots of WOLF in my G40 without any problems.  BE SURE TO CLEAN THOUROUGHLY afterwards as it is dirty stuff.  

I believe any quality self defense round will suit your needs after practice and cleaning.  If it helps, of the 13 agencies in my county, 12 use Speer Gold Dot.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:04:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Shoot it. More trigger time the better. Yes its stinky and dirty, who cares. Maintain good cleaning habbits if you do shoot it a lot.

Accuracy, well that depends. There is a big difference in accuracy between winchester WB valuepacks from wally world, Wolf and my carry load, Ranger 230grn +P out of my G30.

Work your trigger control, grip, sight alignment and draw stroke (if you CCW) with the cheap stuff. Once you have it down see how the premium stuff  POI's with you POA and how it groups.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:20:21 AM EDT
[#8]
I can't believe I haven't had an angry Wolf hater yell at me yet...  Anyone know if there is a better price out the for a thousand rounds?  So far, I've found $135 from Ammunition Store - beats cheaper than dirt.  

Thanks for all the info, fellas.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:14:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Some more sites for ammo.  Just avoid the reloaded stuff.  And if you do have an AR, I recommend avoiding Wolf but for your Glock, go for it.

http://www.outdoormarksman.com/index.php?cDept=112

http://surplusammo.com/index.php?osCsid=183ccfd74233e5aa65845fc944740216

http://www.ammoman.com/

Sorry I don't know how to hotlink
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:23:18 AM EDT
[#10]
I’ve used Wolf in my Glock 17 with no problems other than extra cleaning needed.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:13:03 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
shoot the wolf and don't look back, just clean your weapon, works great

AMEN!!!!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:35:03 AM EDT
[#12]
I have shot thousands of rounds of Wolf through my Gen2 G19 with no problems.  It is no better/worse than other plinking ammo just a bit dirtier.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:11:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Wolf will work fine in your GLOCK.

I can get a 1000 rounds of Winchester 115 grain at Wal Mart for $113.60 and it smells better than Wolf.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:42:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:00:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:48:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Yeah the Winchester value packs are like $15 at most wal-marts are they not?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:35:33 AM EDT
[#17]
SHOOT IT....Glock 21 with over 50,000 rounds and lotsa WOLF no issues....
DAMM WOLF HATERS...
Glock says shoot only factory ammo and WOLF is factory ammo...
The only REAL issues WOLF had were with the 5.56/223 ammo in AR's.
The early lacqure coated ammo tended to gum up the AR chambers.HOT chamber no problem...Cold chamber the Lacquer  reamaned and jammed the rifle..
WOLF solved the problems by using a polymer coating...
Like I said the issues were with  AR-15 rifles...Never any GLOCKS.
Its cheaper than winchester and the red primer sealant has never been an issue..
SHOOT for yourself make up your own opion......You will see there is nothing wrong with WOLF.
As far as accuracy goes..It does shoot wider groups but nothing significant..maybe an 1inch more.
This is my opinon from using various brands.........
For defence rounds I use 3 Mag Safes followed by 230gr Gold dots.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:56:23 PM EDT
[#18]
I knew I'd get a few WOLF haters eventually!    Fantastistic stuff, gentlemen.  As far as the Winchester goes, I am look for .45 ammo, not 127 grain 9mm.  When I owned a 9mm I shot winchester white box, and it was fine.  The price difference is much more when comparing .45 WOLF to .45 Winchester - about $100 per thousand.  I believe the 100 rounds value packs are specific to 9mm.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:02:03 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I knew I'd get a few WOLF haters eventually!    Fantastistic stuff, gentlemen.  As far as the Winchester goes, I am look for .45 ammo, not 127 grain 9mm.  When I owned a 9mm I shot winchester white box, and it was fine.  The price difference is much more when comparing .45 WOLF to .45 Winchester - about $100 per thousand. I believe the 100 rounds value packs are specific to 9mm.  

Not really. I buy the value packs of .45 auto 230grn WWB at walmart for $19.  So about $200 per 1k in my area.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:04:15 PM EDT
[#20]
I dont like Wolf, it will not hurt your gun, it is very dirty, the powder stinks when it burns,  and it is inacurate.  It does however go bang.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:06:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Also, as far as my research has gone, by far the best price for WOLF .45 is Ammunition Store - 6.80 a box when you order a thousand.  That is impressive!  
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:07:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:08:49 PM EDT
[#23]
I stand corrected on the value packs.  However, the price difference is still 65 bucks per thousand.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:50:29 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
The Wold ammo on Ammunition Store is polymer coated, which I am told is not nearly as bad as the laquer stuff.  Will this reduce the problem?  

Also, for home defense and for carry I will certainly use a much better round meant for causing serious damage.  Any recommendations?

Hey Phillip, what is the Wold brand? Must be some new, high tech ammo. I will check it out man........maybe its something only for you Army guys??

I know this kid guys, he claims to be in Iraq....I suspect he is sitting in New Jersey somewhere, and is using this Iraq thing to avoid everyone and sit around and watch movies. You don't have me fooled Phil
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:59:26 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey Phillip, what is the Wold brand? Must be some new, high tech ammo. I will check it out man........maybe its something only for you Army guys??

I know this kid guys, he claims to be in Iraq....I suspect he is sitting in New Jersey somewhere, and is using this Iraq thing to avoid everyone and sit around and watch movies. You don't have me fooled Phil

Dang!  My cover has been blown!  Maybe I should take all of these "Doctored photos" of me in Iraq off my blog and then maybe I will materialize back home in Michigan where I can beat Jeff (MCO119) senseless with the butt of my Glock 30 that is waiting for me at home!  
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:54:56 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dang!  My cover has been blown!  Maybe I should take all of these "Doctored photos" of me in Iraq off my blog and then maybe I will materialize back home in Michigan where I can beat Jeff (MCO119) senseless with the butt of my Glock 30 that is waiting for me at home!  

Hey man,I just bought a new Sig P229 remember, and I will have it before you get the G30. Dont threaten me man, I'm pretty unstable you know.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:18:39 AM EDT
[#27]
After shooting Wolf in my G22 I had a broken extractor.  I could have broken anyway with another brand of ammo but who knows.  I still shoot Wolf in a beater 1911 Government and it loves it.  I don't shoot it in my Glocks.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:37:55 PM EDT
[#28]
.45ACP is an easy round to reload for, and is an ideal cartridge for the beginner.

200 or so dollars can get you going.

It is an addiction unto itself. It begets things like storing 10,000 rounds of each caliber in the closet.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:55:12 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
.45ACP is an easy round to reload for, and is an ideal cartridge for the beginner.

200 or so dollars can get you going.

It is an addiction unto itself. It begets things like storing 10,000 rounds of each caliber in the closet.

I have thought about reloading as a possibility.  I guess with WOLF ammo so inexpensive, I don't see that I would be saving that much money.  The thing that would make it worth it would be the better quality ammo, I suppose.  Hmm... I guess I should check out the reloading forum and poke around there, see what I can find out.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top