Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2006 11:40:38 AM EDT
I currently have a G19 with the 5# connector, and while its no 1911, the trigger has a pretty crisp break, even if it is slightly heavy. I was thinking of trying a 3.5# connector, but have heard some people say it can make for a "mushy" or soft trigger break.

What is your opinion of the factory 3.5# connector? Mushy? Soft? Crisp?

This pistol is my carry gun, and I'm aware that the 3.5# isnt suggested for this use... I'm just trying to do a little research.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:42:21 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I currently have a G19 with the 5# connector, and while its no 1911, the trigger has a pretty crisp break, even if it is slightly heavy. I was thinking of trying a 3.5# connector, but have heard some people say it can make for a "mushy" or soft trigger break.

This pistol is my carry gun, and I'm aware that the 3.5# isnt suggested for this use... I'm just trying to do a little research.

There has never actually been a case where it mattered in prosecution.  It's all a matter of speculation.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:05:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I have tried the Scherer, the factory 3.5lb and the Ghost brand 3.5 connectors.  

The trigger pull is "mushier" in sensation with the 3.5lb connector.  Another sensation you can feel is imperfections in the pull that were masked before by the heavier 5lb connector.  The imperfections are often burrs in the other stamped parts.  The long trigger pull can be treated by installing a trigger stop.

I will next try the Ghost brand "ultimate" connector.  I haven't gotten around to installing that yet.

One thing you might notice is if you have more than one Glock on hand a certain brand of connector might work better than another.  For instance, I got the best results on my G19 with the Scherer, while my G20 went with the Ghost best.  This probably has to do with one brand of connector mating with the imperfections in the other parts better.

They are under 20 bucks a pop, so buy and try.

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:08:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There has never actually been a case where it mattered in prosecution.  It's all a matter of speculation.

Yes, I know this. Like I said, I'm aware it isnt suggested...

I may just stick with the stock trigger, but I was looking to hear what experinces people had with the 3.5#, particularly if it was "mushy" or "soft"... I prefer a clean, crisp break, to a mushy uncertain one.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:10:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Just the kind of info I was looking for. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:43:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I put a Ghost Rocket 3.5# connector in my 23.  It has the over travel tab that needed fitting - 20 - 30 mins to install.  Huge improvemet.  I will be buy another for my 17.  Do the .25 trigger job - polish and debur all mating surfaces.

JDK
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:34:20 AM EDT
[#6]
i have the ghost in all of my glocks and they are great.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:09:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I shoot better with the 5# connector. I got the 8# on the G17, 3.5# on G21 and G22. but I went back to the 5#.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:32:45 PM EDT
[#8]
You could also try thr 3.5 connector with the 8lb NY spring, gives you at or about  5lbs.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:22:16 PM EDT
[#9]
My carry gun is a G23 with a Glock 3.5 connector.  I love it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:20:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:05:18 AM EDT
[#11]
The Ghost Rocket is very nice, particularly with the overtravel stop but a polished Scherer gives me a nicer and crisper pull. The Scherer is a little nicer than the OEM Glock 3.5, imho, and I am also no friend of the NY1 trigger spring.

One thing you have to be aware of, is that the different weight connectors have different lenghts of pull since the angle has changed, the 3.5 connectors will give a slightly longer pull.

The reliability of the gun is not affected, unless a Ghost Rocket is not installed right or a lighter firing pin spring was used.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:06:57 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The Ghost Rocket is very nice, particularly with the overtravel stop but a polished Scherer gives me a nicer and crisper pull. The Scherer is a little nicer than the OEM Glock 3.5, imho, and I am also no friend of the NY1 trigger spring.

Exactly. I too use the Scherer 3.5# and for some reason it does give a cleaner pull and a crisper break than the GLOCK 3.5. If you polish it up a little, it also helps. The 3.5# connectors really help with fast, accurate fire, especially if you shoot from the reset.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:37:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks everyone for all the replies.

For now, I'm going to stick with the 5# connector and see how well I can shoot it. The info and comments from everyone are appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:00:21 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a 3# in my G30 that I bought from Glock. It feels the same as the stock disconnector in my G21... note that the G21 has over 3000 rounds through, the G30 had less than 300 when I installed it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:02:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
You could also try thr 3.5 connector with the 8lb NY spring, gives you at or about  5lbs.

I run Glock OEM 3.5# connectors with the NY trigger housing without the spring installed in my 19's.  the take up is heavier but the break is crisper.  the weight is about the same as stock.  I ran this setup with a scherer connector and the break felt mushier.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:59:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Luvman,
you mean the New York trigger spring , right?
The Scherer's do profit form a polishing, like triburst said. I bought a Glock with the NY1 trigger spring and it was the first thing that I took out. I have two in the parts box now.

Threre is a $9.99 special for the 3.5 LB Glock OEM connectors at CustomGlockRacing, the Shot Show special, so you guys that want to try them better hurry!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:28:31 PM EDT
[#17]
dry firing about 5000 times helps smooth all the connectors out.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:54:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Ghost in my 17, no complaints.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:49:06 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I put a Ghost Rocket 3.5# connector in my 23.  It has the over travel tab that needed fitting - 20 - 30 mins to install.  Huge improvemet.  I will be buy another for my 17.  Do the .25 trigger job - polish and debur all mating surfaces.

JDK

Assuming you take the time to fit it properly, the ghost rocket makes for a smooth crisp trigger.

What do you mean by fitting it properly??
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:48:50 AM EDT
[#20]
I have a G35 with a factory 3.5 connector and love it.  I do not agree with all of the "don't use a 3.5 connector for carry" talk.  If there was an issue why would Glock have put it into a pistol that was intended for SWAT and Pistol competitions?  A cocked and locked 1911 .45acp would have a similarly light trigger and there are lots of those out there.  It all comes down to practice.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:32:11 AM EDT
[#21]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
I put a Ghost Rocket 3.5# connector in my 23. It has the over travel tab that needed fitting - 20 - 30 mins to install. Huge improvemet. I will be buy another for my 17. Do the .25 trigger job - polish and debur all mating surfaces.

JDK

Assuming you take the time to fit it properly, the ghost rocket makes for a smooth crisp trigger.

What do you mean by fitting it properly??

There is an over travel tab that needs to be ground.  I beleive it is left long so the connector can precisely fitted. If you grind to much you can defeat the purpose of the over travel stop. Do'nt grind enough and you have function problems.   The directions that come with the ghost rocket are very easy to follow.  

JDK
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:17:02 AM EDT
[#22]
I thought the reason that the ligher connectors weren't suggested for self defense was because it was easier to have an accidental discharnge (ligher and all). Why would it matter in court?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:44:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Anybody have pics of areas that should be polished?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:46:36 AM EDT
[#24]
I felt the ghost gave me a mushy trigger, I installed a Glock 3.5 in my G20 I like it much better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top