Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2006 11:12:21 AM EDT
Well, thanks to an AG opinion we Michiganians can finally purchase suppressors again, so i'm looking into suppressing my G21 and G17, I just have a few questions for those who are more experienced.

1. What barrel? Specifically I want something that is flawlessly reliable under harsh conditions, either of these may be called upon as a SHTF weapon, and my glocks are plenty accurate as is, so I don't buy that crap about "tight fitting" custom barrels. (on a side note, if at all possible i'd like to stick to polygonal rifling, as I believe it to have huge wear advantages over standard rifling, any options that would allow this?)

2. What suppressor? I assume I will either need a VERY light suppressor or one with a booster, I don't know jack about pistol suppressors so pretty much any info on this would be helpful.

3. Will I need new sights? I am concerned that with the suppressor mounted I won't be able to use my trijicons, as the can will block my LOS.

4. Any issues I should be made aware of, but dont know enough to ask about?

Thanks for any help, I am really looking forward to joining the quiet paper punching club.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:51:40 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Well, thanks to an AG opinion we Michiganians can finally purchase suppressors again, so i'm looking into suppressing my G21 and G17, I just have a few questions for those who are more experienced.

1. What barrel? Specifically I want something that is flawlessly reliable under harsh conditions, either of these may be called upon as a SHTF weapon, and my glocks are plenty accurate as is, so I don't buy that crap about "tight fitting" custom barrels. (on a side note, if at all possible i'd like to stick to polygonal rifling, as I believe it to have huge wear advantages over standard rifling, any options that would allow this?)

2. What suppressor? I assume I will either need a VERY light suppressor or one with a booster, I don't know jack about pistol suppressors so pretty much any info on this would be helpful.

3. Will I need new sights? I am concerned that with the suppressor mounted I won't be able to use my trijicons, as the can will block my LOS.

Thanks for any help, I am really looking forward to joining the quiet paper punching club.

First, I think you're going to get more of a response in the NFA section of this site or post it over on silencertests.com.   With that said, here's enough to get you started.

1.  I can only speak to the 17, but you should be able to buy a 17L or 34 barrel and have that threaded.  This will most likely be a drop in and you can keep the polygon rifling.

2.  You're right, and I'd strongly recommend a can with a booster if you want reliability.  AAC's Evolution 9 is apparently the quietest thing out there right now, but it's tough to go wrong with any of the name makers.  SWR and GemTech are both comming out with new offerings shortly that are are supposed to compete head to head with the AAC can, so you have some options.

3.  Yes the can will block the sights.  This isn't as big a deal as you might think, since if you shoot with booth eyes open your dominant eye will "see through" the can.  I don't think you're going to win any bullseye competitions this way, but its pretty good.

4.  Lots, I'm sure, but the big one is that 9mm suppresses WAY better then .45.  So much so that 9mm cans are generally dry while .45 cans are almost always "wet".  If you're just getting your first can I'd strongly suggest a .22, or the 9mm if you just have to have a centerfire can.  Any of them will require subsonic ammo to really be quite, of course.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:13:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Have you ever fired or heard a 9mm supressed? It isnt as quiet as you think. I was going to do a 9mm supressed but after firing one I found it isnt worth it (to me) to supress a 9mm. I would do a .22 for the true hollywood silent shot. BTW it was a silenced Mac 11. I didnt fire it supressed but was standing right next to it and it wasnt at all "quiet"
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:47:25 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

First, I think you're going to get more of a response in the NFA section of this site or post it over on silencertests.com.   With that said, here's enough to get you started.

1.  I can only speak to the 17, but you should be able to buy a 17L or 34 barrel and have that threaded.  This will most likely be a drop in and you can keep the polygon rifling.

2.  You're right, and I'd strongly recommend a can with a booster if you want reliability.  AAC's Evolution 9 is apparently the quietest thing out there right now, but it's tough to go wrong with any of the name makers.  SWR and GemTech are both comming out with new offerings shortly that are are supposed to compete head to head with the AAC can, so you have some options.

3.  Yes the can will block the sights.  This isn't as big a deal as you might think, since if you shoot with booth eyes open your dominant eye will "see through" the can.  I don't think you're going to win any bullseye competitions this way, but its pretty good.

4.  Lots, I'm sure, but the big one is that 9mm suppresses WAY better then .45.  So much so that 9mm cans are generally dry while .45 cans are almost always "wet".  If you're just getting your first can I'd strongly suggest a .22, or the 9mm if you just have to have a centerfire can.  Any of them will require subsonic ammo to really be quite, of course.  

Thanks for the start. I'll check the other forums too, on a related note, does glock make a longer G21 barrel? I've seen 6'' G20 barrels before but never a 6'' G21 barrel.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:16:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:17:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a Spider and was pleased with the level of suppression for such a small can.
I'm waiting on my EVO-9 now. It's quieter dry than the Spider is wet.
I'm looking forward to a range test with it
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:19:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I use an SOS-45 on my G21 with a KKM barrel.

D
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top