Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2006 6:09:42 AM EDT
Hi all, this is my first post to this site, and I must say this forum is very insightful. Please go easy on this one but I have to ask (did use the search, but could not find it).

I have heard that it is best to use the glock light on the factory rail mount instead of the streamlight, or surefire options because the non-glock options don't allow the frame to flex properly and can cause the slide to lock up. I did some google searches and only found one thing, but that did not look very credible so I thought I would ask the experts. I searched this forum but could not find anything here either.

Be kind pleaseFirebolt
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:40:13 AM EDT
[#1]
The GLOCK light is a good buy for the money, but the Surefire produces a tighter, more uniform beam. I know dozens of people who use Surefires and Streamlights on their GLOCKs with no problem. As with any new parts, whatever you get, be sure to put a few hundred rounds through the gun with the light mounted before betting your life on it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:40:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I have never heard that before. I would call bs on that one but hell what do I know. Personally I think the Glock light is just a little too big and I don't think they are as bright as the Insight's
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:58:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I like the x200

firebolt

Where in WA?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:01:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I also think the Glock light isn't as bright as my insight.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:56:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Firebolt,

Welcome to the insanity!

Nox
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:39:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the welcome and the comments.
I was told this about the ligths by the local PD armorer and swat guy. I was not sure if this is just a problem on the longer slide weapons like the G22, and 35, or if it also effects the 19 and 26's. I am goint to get a G19 and would like to get a light for it. I like the value of the glock light/laser combo.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:40:40 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks for the welcome and the comments.
I was told this about the ligths by the local PD armorer and swat guy. I was not sure if this is just a problem on the longer slide weapons like the G22, and 35, or if it also effects the 19 and 26's. I am goint to get a G19 and would like to get a light for it. I like the value of the glock light/laser combo.

Man, I'm gonna be the first to say that your cop friend is talking out of his ass. That's from one cop about another. I've run tons of lights on the long-slides, full-size, compact and even the sub-compact (that was just to get the "WTF" look from our dept. armorer). Never had a problem with any light on any gun. I have setteled on the Surefire P111.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:09:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll call BS on that one.

I've shot many thousands of rounds through GLOCK 22's and 23's with the Insight M3, Surefire X200 and Surefire P111D.  Never had a problem.  In all fairness, the P111D mounts to a rail which is clamped onto the trigger guard.  

I also carry the P111D for duty use, I don't think you can beat that light, it's big and bulky but it works every time.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:00:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I know where a streamlight Insight M3x is for $120 shipped. Used very little. Its like new.
Let me know if you have any interest.

Quoted:
Hi all, this is my first post to this site, and I must say this forum is very insightful. Please go easy on this one but I have to ask (did use the search, but could not find it).

I have heard that it is best to use the glock light on the factory rail mount instead of the streamlight, or surefire options because the non-glock options don't allow the frame to flex properly and can cause the slide to lock up. I did some google searches and only found one thing, but that did not look very credible so I thought I would ask the experts. I searched this forum but could not find anything here either.

Be kind please

Firebolt

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:17:01 AM EDT
[#10]
M3's were/are available from JLM for $90 shipped and extra bulbs for about $1.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:41:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Ok deal masters, what about an M6? For some reason I like the laser, I know, kind of dorky, but I guess that is meht/LaserStreamLight M6 Light/Laser  239.99

Oh, I have another quetion. Since I want to put this on a G19 the light will extend past the end of the barrel. Does the musel flash (probably minimal on a 9mm) effect the lights negitivly at all, except for maybe making the lense dirty?

Thanks for the help, the guys at the gun stores just want to sell you stuff, I want to know it works...
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:19:22 AM EDT
[#12]
This is the M3X. Not the M3. M3 is like 80 lumens. the M3X is 120 lumens. Something like that.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:13:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I just got a Surefire M111c and I am sending it back.  Although the light is able to be quickly removed from the Glock, the trigger guard mounted rail that comes with it and which the light has to mount on, stays on the Glock.  It is only removed with an allen wrench.

Their advertising certainly gives the impression that the entire light is able to be quickly removed.

Although Surefire makes some incredible products, this one misses the boat.

I am pretty sure that the P111 mounts the same way.  It is to bad that they could not get a light to work on the Glock that uses the Glock's rail so that the entire light can quickly be removed and then be able to be used on any Glock holster

Another design problem, where the rail mounts onto the trigger guard, it obstructs the trigger finger's access to the trigger.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:39:20 PM EDT
[#14]
When I went to the Glock Armorer's course to recertify two years ago, this was stated by the instructor.

The reason given was as stated above, that the Glock light was made of the same material as the frame, and would supposedly alleviate stoppages that had been caused by other lights being on the pistols while being fired.

Glock also added two coils to their mags springs, at least in the case of the full size pistols (G17/22/34/35) to address the issue.

I have a Glock light and an X200.  Have had no problems with either.  I had no problems with the old springs, but did install the longer springs just in case.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:31:13 PM EDT
[#15]
I've got Glocks with the Surefire X200, P111, Streamlight M3, M6 and even the Glock factory light and I've never had a proble with any of them. I've carried the M3 on duty in uniform and now the M6 on entry gear and they work fine but I do prefer Surefires stuff....
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:16:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
When I went to the Glock Armorer's course to recertify two years ago, this was stated by the instructor.

Ok, well this may be were the guy I know got the info from. Could be glock is telling people that to sell more glock light? hat
Thanks for the info
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:57:34 PM EDT
[#17]
I have also heard the rumors from other TAC teams in my area about shooting with lights mounted to their duty Glocks. I have never had a problem with mine. I purchased the Streamlight M3 when it first came out on the market. I never had a problem with this light on my Glock - other than cracking the plastic bezel during a SWAT school - of which Streamlight wanted $50 to replace. After giving Streamlight the finger I recently switched to a Surefire X200B. Again, no problems and this light is 10x the light of the Streamlight. The all metal body is rock solid and the actual quality of the white light is worth the added price. I would not own a Glock without a mounted light either for duty or just for home defense. It is an indispensable tool!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:08:04 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a buddy on here (No Aim) that recently bought a M3 off another buddy/member. It was NIB when he got it from the first guy. We went out with a few guns to compare muzzle flash and such one night. He had just opened the box and put it on his HK USP .40. He started shooting and on the fourth shot the bulb died. Four rounds total on the M3 for it's life and the bulb's dead.

Streamline did make it right by sending him a couple of new bulbs, but it made me question what I want on my Glock.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:38:02 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Who's JLM?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:59:26 PM EDT
[#20]
I have never heard of any flex issues with the Glock, sounds like BS to me.

I have a M6 with 1k on it with no issues at all.

The laser is right on and has not needed any adjustments once I set it.

Very sweet piece and great for HD.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:28:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Anybody got a pic of a G19 with a M6 on it?

Hey John11167, that is a great looking 17 you got, I like how you left the laser on for the pics. What distance you you have your laser sighted too? Does it always hold zero when you remove and replace the light?

Firebolt
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:49:43 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Anybody got a pic of a G19 with a M6 on it?

Hey John11167, that is a great looking 17 you got, I like how you left the laser on for the pics. What distance you you have your laser sighted too? Does it always hold zero when you remove and replace the light?

Firebolt

Its good to 100' but of course that is NOT with any kind of direct light on the target.

I use it on my AR picatiny rail.

I am usually less then 50' to target.

Yes it does hold zero and has not moved at all since I have sited it in.

I would buy another one.

I can get sweet deals on these from the maker 265, they list for 295 and up.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:38:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Ok, I have an update to the question I posted originally. I spoke with one of the officers and it was a specific combination of items that leads to the problem.
Equipment
Glock 22, gen 3, one year old
Streamlight M3X light
Speer Gold Dot ammo - Now this is police ammo, and shoots hotter than white-box ammo, so I am told

What happens is that using the older mags that came with the guns and the hotter ammo, the bullet can not feed into the chamber quick enough every time causing the gun to jam on occasion. The light causes the problem because it keeps the frame to rigid and the slide moves to fast. If the light is taken off the gun does not jam. If they use an M3 light the gun does not jam. If white-box ammo is used the gun does not jam. It is only if they use the M3X, with the hotter ammo. Now, they have found a solution to the problem, apparently Glock has a newer revision of the magazine than what shipped with the gun. I think he said R6? not sure on that but that mag has some parts modified and this allows the mag to feed faster and more accurately.
This is not a single event, appaently they can reproduce it on almost any of the G22 on the force.

I wish I could remember the terminology he used better to give you more information but maybe this will help.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:54:33 PM EDT
[#24]
I had a M3 on a G32 that quit working after less than 13rds, it wasn't the bulb either. Sometimes it would come on, sometimes it wouldn't. Got rid of it and got the X200, no problems so far and I don't expect any either!

teamroper
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top