Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2006 1:57:41 PM EDT
I'm thinking about trying a Glock 19 on for size as a replacment for my current CCW. I'm aware of Glocks reputation for reliabilty, but I'd like to hear a list of known problems specific to the Glock 19. I know NYPD had some issues that they have since resolved, and IIRC there was a frame rail issue on the 19/23... What other issues have there been? What other quirks are there with respect to the model 19?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:39:30 PM EDT
[#1]
1. NYPD Phase 3 problems.
2. "E" prefix frame rails.
3. Gold Dot nosedives(for me at least) with the 2183 followers(ten rounders only).

#3 was the only one I personally observed with my own G19.  I solved that problem about a year ago...
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:57:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a severe nosediving problem with an early 3rd generation G19.  The problem persisted reguardless of which magazines I used, and reguardless of which followers I installed.  I sold it to a friend of mine, and he has not been able to resolve the issue either.

The nosedives happened when hand-cycling, reguardless of whether it was the first round or the last round in the mag.  It would also CONSISTENTLY nosedive when releasing the slide from slidelock on a fresh magazine (using the slidestop and using the "slingshot" method made no difference.)

I came to the conclusion that the problem was caused by the way the barrel locks in an upward tilt with the slide retracted, in order to guide bullets into the chamber.  Under recoil, the barrel would tilt properly, but when hand-cycling or releasing the slidestop, the barrel would flop forward.  This, combined with the lack of an intermediate frame-mounted feedramp between the bullet nose and the barrel's feedramp, caused nosedive jams.  In order to prove this theory, I was able to consistently make it feed smoothly by putting upward pressure on the muzzle end of the barrel (making it tilt properly) while gently releasing the slide. For the record, I used hand-loaded cases with no powder or primers and Gold-Dot hollow points.

I know a lot of you guys seem to think that mag followers are the problem, but in my case, this was not true.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:07:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
3. Gold Dot nosedives(for me at least) with the 2183 followers(ten rounders only).-
#3 was the only one I personally observed with my own G19.  I solved that problem about a year ago...

1) Resolved 15+yrs ago (isn’t the internet great for keeping this alive)
2) Affected a few receivers in All models, not just the G19/G23(fixed free of charge)
3) Aren't you glad the ban is over  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:35:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
3. Gold Dot nosedives(for me at least) with the 2183 followers(ten rounders only).-

2) Affected a few receivers in All models, not just the G19/G23(fixed free of charge)
3) Aren't you glad the ban is over  

I guess you nailed that up pretty well
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:37:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I am aware these problems were solved quite some time ago.  WesDesRat asked for a list of known problems with the G19 platform, and I listed the ones I knew of or experienced.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:16:03 PM EDT
[#6]
This may not answer your question since I don't know if it was specific to a G19, but I had my trigger spring break after about 2000 rounds.  It was a second gen imported in 1993.  No other problems.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:52:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I am aware these problems were solved quite some time ago.  WesDesRat asked for a list of known problems with the G19 platform, and I listed the ones I knew of or experienced.

Just clairifying the time frame, thats all.  

Quoted:
but I had my trigger spring break

The vast majority of the early G19 have had the upgrade kit installed(for free from Glock). The springs were breaking because of the real small hole in the trigger bar.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:21:44 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

That's cool. I figured he knew those problems were a thing of the past.  I do not know of any current issues with them.  Other than the Clinton mags, my G19 has given me no  trouble in these past 4 years.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:28:38 AM EDT
[#9]
The only problem that I have had with my G19 is that I don't have two!

I was never a Glock fan until I bought my G19.  I have not had a single problem with my G19.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:50:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for replys guys. I have been carrying two XD-9's for the past couple years, and while I love the platform, I have been less than impressed with certain things about the XD pistols, hence the desire to try something else.

Anyone care to comment on the slide peening issue? Fill in the details if you could...
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:01:28 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Thanks for replys guys. I have been carrying two XD-9's for the past couple years, and while I love the platform, I have been less than impressed with certain things about the XD pistols, hence the desire to try something else.

Anyone care to comment on the slide peening issue? Fill in the details if you could...

First of all, the slide peening mostly affected 40's. It was due to the frame flexing and the locking block making contact with the bottom of the slide. The peening is not of any concern and usually indents only to a certain point and then stops. I believe this has been corrected on newer pistols with a newer style locking block.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:06:21 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Slide peening occurred mainly in the 40 caliber Glocks, even though it could happen with the other calibers. Under recoil the receiver will flex, making contact with the slide at the Locking Block.  Glock changed the Locking Block design to help stop this cosmetic problem. It did not affect the gun in any way. It progresses to a point then stops.

Edit:
BrianNH types faster then I do.    
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:26:59 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Edit:
BrianNH types faster then I do.    

Yeah, but your the guy with all the cool pics
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:11:23 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The vast majority of the early G19 have had the upgrade kit installed(for free from Glock). The springs were breaking because of the real small hole in the trigger bar.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/hotrod9mm/Connector-holes.jpg  

My trigger spring broke also on my 10 year old Gen 2 19 after a few thousand rounds.  I mailed it off to Glock though to get fixed and it was back at my house in SIX days!!!  No charge of course.  

When did Glock figure out it was the small hole in the trigger bar causing the spring failure??  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:52:54 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
When did Glock figure out it was the small hole in the trigger bar causing the spring failure??

I don't remember the exact year but IIRC it was somewhere around '91-'92
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:10:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Mine broke after that so I am sure it was fixed properly.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:16:41 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I had a severe nosediving problem with an early 3rd generation G19.  The problem persisted reguardless of which magazines I used, and reguardless of which followers I installed.  I sold it to a friend of mine, and he has not been able to resolve the issue either.

The nosedives happened when hand-cycling, reguardless of whether it was the first round or the last round in the mag.  It would also CONSISTENTLY nosedive when releasing the slide from slidelock on a fresh magazine (using the slidestop and using the "slingshot" method made no difference.)

I came to the conclusion that the problem was caused by the way the barrel locks in an upward tilt with the slide retracted, in order to guide bullets into the chamber.  Under recoil, the barrel would tilt properly, but when hand-cycling or releasing the slidestop, the barrel would flop forward.  This, combined with the lack of an intermediate frame-mounted feedramp between the bullet nose and the barrel's feedramp, caused nosedive jams.  In order to prove this theory, I was able to consistently make it feed smoothly by putting upward pressure on the muzzle end of the barrel (making it tilt properly) while gently releasing the slide. For the record, I used hand-loaded cases with no powder or primers and Gold-Dot hollow points.

I know a lot of you guys seem to think that mag followers are the problem, but in my case, this was not true.

Umm, maybe a dumb question, but why not send it back to Glock for repair?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:41:51 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Umm, maybe a dumb question, but why not send it back to Glock for repair?

Because I never really liked the G19 anyway.  I prefer the 17, so I sold the 19 to get a 17.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:01:17 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
#3 was the only one I personally observed with my own G19.  I solved that problem about a year ago...hr

3) Aren't you glad the ban is over   hr

I guess you nailed that up pretty well hr

Yep! I bought my G19 back in '98  and the only problem I had was with the two 10 round mags it came with.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:28:29 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/hotrod9mm/Connector-holes.jpg  

After reading your post, I looked.  I have the larger hole in the trigger bar.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:49:05 AM EDT
[#21]
tag
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:15:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Just as an update:

I picked up a used G19 with Trijicons and four 15 round mags... I'm going to wring it out in the next few days before I order a holster from Comp-Tac, just to make sure I'm going to like it.

This pistol is nearly new, with 05 marked sights, and zero visible wear on the outside, besides the barrel and chamber hood.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:24:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Use 15 and 17 round mags if it's a 3rd generation G19.  It hates 10-rounders.

Never a jam with 15 or 17 round mags.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top