Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/26/2005 1:36:47 PM EDT
I am thinking of getting another Glock, and I was looking in a gun store and found "TU-Tone" glocks with a grey slide.  It looks freaking sweet and I want one, but I want to make sure that the tennifer finish still remained underneath.

I called CDNN because in their catalogue it looks like they are advertising the same thing, and in the catalogue it says that it is Cera-Kote.

Does anyone have any information on this?  Here is a picture.

The guy at the gun-store tells me that the tennifer finish is still there, that there is no functional difference, its just looks.  The guy on the phone at CDNN (who was pretty freakin rude by the way so I guess they just lost a shit-load of bussiness from me) practically yelled at me on the phone telling me that "NO!  the tenniffer has been removed!"

The guy at the gun store said that this is being done at the factory and is new.  But the guy at CDNN says that the tennifer has been removed, why in the hell would they apply tennifer finish at the factory and then "remove" it to apply the Cera-kote?  Sounds like he doesn't know what he is talking about.

I have searched to the end of the internet and back to get info on this and can't find shit.  I tried calling glock customer service today but they are closed.  I've got the bug and want to buy a second glock 19 (right now I have one handgun that I love, a glock 19, sold the rest when I found out how much I loved this thing).

How much more do you think is reasonable to pay for the tutone?  Is the tennifer still there?  How durable is this finish?  Any advantages? (besides looking so sweet)
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 1:38:17 PM EDT
[#1]
That gives me a chubby.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:14:07 PM EDT
[#2]
The Cerakote pistols are not done by the factory. The distributor sends out factory new pistols and has them done. The Cerakote finish is said to be very durable and slick. I have an AK done in this finish in black and am very happy with it. The tennifer finish remains even after the factory finish is removed.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:16:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The Cerakote pistols are not done by the factory. The distributor sends out factory new pistols and has them done. The Cerakote finish is said to be very durable and slick. I have an AK done in this finish in black and am very happy with it. The tennifer finish remains even after the factory finish is removed.

So you are losing nothing as far as the hardness of the tennifer because it is actually still there correct?

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that the tennifer is still there, just not the black finish, and that the black finish has been replaced with the grey Cera-Kote finish.

Correct?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:49:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So you are losing nothing as far as the hardness of the tennifer because it is actually still there correct?

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that the tennifer is still there, just not the black finish, and that the black finish has been replaced with the grey Cera-Kote finish.

Correct?

The tenifer process is a colorless metal treatment which penetrates and seals the pores of the metal. The end result is an exterior which is comparable in hardness to that of a diamond on the rockwell scale which is scratch resistant and corrosion resistant.  Then a parkerizing or black oxide treatment is done which is the black finish you see. If you were remove the black finish on your slide or barrel with steel wool or fine sandpaper until you saw bare metal, the tenifer would still be intact. This is why you see Glocks which are very worn to what appears to be bare metal however they are never rusted. The Cerakote is an exterior finish which takes the place of the Glock black oxide or parkerizing finish. To refinish in Cerakote the Glock black finish is stripped and the Cerakote is applied and the tenifer in still intact.

If you opt not to buy a new Glock with Cerakote, there are other options to have your pistol refinished later as there are a number of place who can do this. Here are some facts on Cerakote;
www.larsontactical.com/id23.html
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:31:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Correct?

The tenifer process is a colorless metal treatment which penetrates and seals the pores of the metal. The end result is an exterior which is comparable in hardness to that of a diamond on the rockwell scale which is scratch resistant and corrosion resistant.  Then a parkerizing or black oxide treatment is done which is the black finish you see. If you were remove the black finish on your slide or barrel with steel wool or fine sandpaper until you saw bare metal, the tenifer would still be intact. This is why you see Glocks which are very worn to what appears to be bare metal however they are never rusted. The Cerakote is an exterior finish which takes the place of the Glock black oxide or parkerizing finish. To refinish in Cerakote the Glock black finish is stripped and the Cerakote is applied and the tenifer in still intact.

If you opt not to buy a new Glock with Cerakote, there are other options to have your pistol refinished later as there are a number of place who can do this. Here are some facts on Cerakote;
www.larsontactical.com/id23.html

+1

The tennifer is always there.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:17:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Great!!  Thanks very much guys for the info.  I've been researching like a madman all day long and couldn't get an answer to that question.  After I made this post I realized that the tennifer process and the actual black finish were two different things, but I wanted to confirm that the whole tennifer deal wasn't affected because I knew enough to know that the tennifer was what set glocks apart in that respect.  

Good to know!  That is one sweet looking pistol!  Thanks again!

Now, besides looking cool, can you think of any possible functional differences between the standard finish and this one?  I know that Cera-Kote is supposed to be great stuff, but what about breaking up the shilouette of the pistol, etc. ?

Do you think the different color slide will affect how well and how quckly my eyes and brain pick up and register my sight picture?  I sure do love my standard glock 19 to the extreme, so much that I want get a second one.  I love it so much that I am hesitant to change anything about my second one, although that finish looks cool and it would be nice to be able to quickly tell them apart.

I just like to make sure that I get what I want the first time, because I've already made a deal with myself a long time ago that I will never sell a gun again unless there is some extreme reason to.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:14:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:09:11 AM EDT
[#8]
+1 on tennifer not being removed when the black is gone.  Cera-coat is said to be a really supurb finish (so much so I am going to do my ar in it, at least part of it).  I'd feel very good with a glock finished in it, and since you don't loose the tennifer, you are only getting a better finish than the black (always wished they would get a different color finish.)
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:51:01 AM EDT
[#9]
I finally got ahold of glock customer service and got some information from them about this.   They were extremely polite and professional as usual.  They told me that if the slide is not black, that it is aftermarket.  Same thing everyone else said above.  They also said that the warranty as far as the finish goes would be void, but that the warranty as far as any possible problems unrelated to the finish would not necessarily be voided and whether or not they honor the warranty would depend upon their evaluation of the issue at the time.  

So here's the important stuff.  I had to go from customer service to the tech department for this one.  I was told that the tennifer may or may not still not be there.  They said that it is possible to remove the black finish without removing the layer of metal treated with the tennifer process, but that it would also be possible to go deeper then the tennifer and mess that up to.  They said basically said that it would depend upon if the person knew what they were doing as to whether or not the black is removed without affected the layer of tennifer treated metal.  

So basically there are no garauntees here.  Now I am torn as to what to do.  It looks pretty cool though doesn't it!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:24:49 AM EDT
[#10]
I wish I could find out who did the ones at my local fun store.  I wonder if they are coming from the same place as CDNN's.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:24:00 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The only way I know the black could be removed would be with a sand blaster, I would contact Glock and ask them about the finish and if they give any kind of warranty on it.  I also would not discount that the company actually selling the guns says it is removed.

So would a sand blaster be capable of removing the tennifer?  Or just the parkerizing?  
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:51:38 AM EDT
[#12]
I called CDNN again, I am trying to figure out who is doing the Cera-Koting so that I can ask them about it.  This time I got a different person, who actually had some idea of what customer service means.  

I am beginning to discount the fact that CDNN says that the tennifer is gone because when I talk to them they seem to think that the black parkerizing is the same thing as the tennifer.  They also definitely do not sound very confident in their responses either.  

After rereading the above responses, I am begginning to think that you would have to actually remove metal in order to remove the protective layer of tennifer.  Does that sound about right?  If so, how much metal?  Are we talking thousandths of an inch or are we talking millimeters?  

If we could speak to the people putting on the Cera-Kote we could find out what process they are using to remove the parkerizing and then figure out whether or not that process would affect the layer of tennifer as well.   DAMMNIT!!  I wanted to go buy a new pistol today!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:06:59 PM EDT
[#13]
CDNN has been always great with my phone orders.
They were always polite & fast… well, at least for me.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:23:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Correct?

The tenifer process is a colorless metal treatment which penetrates and seals the pores of the metal. The end result is an exterior which is comparable in hardness to that of a diamond on the rockwell scale ]

Yeah Right,I cant dent a diamond,I have  my glock slide!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:04:07 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The only way I know the black could be removed would be with a sand blaster, I would contact Glock and ask them about the finish and if they give any kind of warranty on it.  I also would not discount that the company actually selling the guns says it is removed.

So would a sand blaster be capable of removing the tennifer?  Or just the parkerizing?  

The black oxide or parkerizing finish on a Glock can be removed with chemicals as far as I know. Painted finishes containing polymers such as Gunkote, Cerakote, Armor Tuff etc, need sandblasting to be removed.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:32:15 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
CDNN has been always great with my phone orders.
They were always polite & fast… well, at least for me.

me too.  The guy was nice today.  Its just yesterday when I called the guy was kind of a dick, and I was mad at the time, plus busy trying to find information on this stuff.  No biggie I guess.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:33:04 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The black oxide or parkerizing finish on a Glock can be removed with chemicals as far as I know. Painted finishes containing polymers such as Gunkote, Cerakote, Armor Tuff etc, need sandblasting to be removed.

So the tennifer is still there and the CeraKote is better then the black oxide?

I hope so...
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:51:37 PM EDT
[#18]
I made a phone call to a friend who had done an AK for me in Cerakote.  Cerakote is a super tough, air dried finish that is scratch resistant, has excellent built in lubrication properties, and can withstand between 1200 -1600 degrees F.

As I said earlier, in the case of the Glock, the existing exterior finish can be removed by a chemical bath. It does not need to be sandblasted. The existing tennifer treatment stays intact. Once the existing finish is removed by chemicals, it is a good pratice to do a light bead blast, then apply the Cerakote. There is no doubt in my mind that this is a great finish for a Glock.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:08:05 PM EDT
[#19]
http://www.nicindustries.com/Page.asp?NavID=732

I just went to the website of the company that makes CeraKote, found an application guide in a PDF file, and called the phone number on it.

I guess the company is MICRO DYNE, a division of NIC Industries.

I called and asked for the tech department and asked if the process for removing the black oxide, which is detailed in the application guide PDF on the above website, would also remove the layer of tennifer.  He said that he did his own glock, and has done a bunch of others, and that he thinks the process they use to remove the parkerized layer also removes the tennifer layer.  He said that after you do it, "it looks like bare metal."

So now this shit really sucks because I really liked the look of that pistol.  But I just can't sacrifice function for form.  Hopefully someone else can dig up some more information about this and we will find out that the tennifer layer isn't affected.  That's definitely important to me, because that's what I know and trust.  Oh well.  
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:09:37 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I made a phone call to a friend who had done an AK for me in Cerakote.  Cerakote is a super tough, air dried finish that is scratch resistant, has excellent built in lubrication properties, and can withstand between 1200 -1600 degrees F.

As I said earlier, in the case of the Glock, the existing exterior finish can be removed by a chemical bath. It does not need to be sandblasted. The existing tennifer treatment stays intact. Once the existing finish is removed by chemicals, it is a good pratice to do a light bead blast, then apply the Cerakote. There is no doubt in my mind that this is a great finish for a Glock.

So then it would probably be a question of making sure whoever did these particular pistols used the chemical bath to remove the black oxide then?  

Man I want that pistol so bad!!!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:29:35 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I called and asked for the tech department and asked if the process for removing the black oxide, which is detailed in the application guide PDF on the above website, would also remove the layer of tennifer.  He said that he did his own glock, and has done a bunch of others, and that he thinks the process they use to remove the parkerized layer also removes the tennifer layer.  He said that after you do it, "it looks like bare metal."

Of course it's going to look like bare metal, the tenifer treatment has no color !!!

To set your mind at ease, call Glocks tech department and ask when they have a slide refinished if the tenifer remains once the exterior finish is stripped. Dont speak to someone who is just guessing, ask for someone who has a definitive answer, then you wil have your answer.

Hurry up and buy that pistol
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:32:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:03:16 PM EDT
[#23]
DH, nice work. Do you use factory parts or aftermarket? Regarding the finish go for matte hard chrome.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:52:52 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
So now this shit really sucks because I really liked the look of that pistol.  But I just can't sacrifice function for form.  Hopefully someone else can dig up some more information about this and we will find out that the tennifer layer isn't affected.  That's definitely important to me, because that's what I know and trust.  Oh well.  

I wouldn't get too worked up about it. Not like you have bare metal now. Nor is it going to affect the function. All it really is, is a paint job. A way of making something prettier in someones eyes. As far a sight picture, the only thing you should focus on is your front sight. Rear sight and target should be blurry.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:31:34 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wouldn't get too worked up about it. Not like you have bare metal now. Nor is it going to affect the function. All it really is, is a paint job. A way of making something prettier in someones eyes. As far a sight picture, the only thing you should focus on is your front sight. Rear sight and target should be blurry.  

Yeah I know, I was just thinking in terms of the color naturally drawing the focus of your eyes into the same plane as your front sight post.  If that makes any sense.  Just a brain-storm, I'm sure it doesn't make a lick of difference.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:11:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Ask for Keith at CDNN.  Very professional and my G17 was just as he described.  

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:46:32 PM EDT
[#27]
I seem to recall somebody a while back saying that there is a company out there where you can send your Glock slide in and have it refinished in cera-kote.  Is this true and if so could somebody put a link up on this thread.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top