Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/26/2005 11:12:50 AM EDT
Hello all,

I've probably put about 3k through my 34 in the three years i've had it. I'd like to put more, but for the time being i'm a poor college student....

Well, lately i've been carrying my 34 instead of my 33, on a shoulder rig since winter carry is forgiving of large weapons. Well, a couple of days ago I noticed that when a round is chambered, my extractor sticks out too much. If I try to operate the slide, I have to tip the pistol back to drop the round out of the chamber. The extractor will stay stuck in the outer position. If I put the gun back into battery and pull the trigger, the extractor will pop back into place. What type of problem am I experiencing? Oh,  also what would I have to replace?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 12:46:19 PM EDT
[#1]
One possibility is that there may be some debris in or around the extractor causing it to bind, however anyone diagnosing it online would be just guessing. It should be looked at by someone qualified.

Your first order of business should be to get it to a Glock Armorer and have the slide stripped, cleaned, and inspected. You could send just the slide to Glock and they will take care of it for free.

Another option would be to purchase some reference material and learn to strip the pistol / slide yourself. Not a bad thing for any serious Glocker to know but as an Armorer, I really cant reccommend that.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 1:44:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like you have carbon buildup in the slot where the extractor is located. I have a G34 as well, and it gets carbon built up in the extractor area. I disassemble the slide, and give it a good cleaning. Glocks are remarkably simple, which makes them such great weapons.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:08:42 PM EDT
[#3]
The extractor sticking to the side is the loaded chamber indicator. If the gun functions normally while firing there is nothing wrong. If the extractor is stuck and it doesn't  throw the round, detail strip and clean the extractor plunger hole and make sure the plunger spring is not broken.
If you don't know how to detail strip your gun scroll down to the bottom of this page, all glock internals are essentially the same. www.lifelibertyetc.com/RangeBag.aspx
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:20:07 AM EDT
[#4]
What extractor do you have?

About the above link to the video, NEVER use a hammer on your Glock unless you like replacing parts! If you take the gun apart properly you will never need a hammer.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:20:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Sorry for the long delay.  At this point, I can almost take a glock completely apart blindfold(kidding but curious). I completely disassembled the slide and scrubbed the shit out of everything. By the way, I have an lci extractor on the 34. I understand that it pops out a little, but this is way too much. The little piece fails to even grip the rim at all until I press the trigger. Now, curiously, I haven't had any problems at the range. Right before the striker releases, the extractor will drop into correct position. I'm thinking it has to do something with the little striker safety block, but I dont really know. I did notice that last time I disassembled the slide, the cover that goes on the back was eaten a little bit. Maybe there's not enough pressure on the plunger/spring that puts pressure on the extractor.  I'm thinking I should replace both the plunger, the plunger spring. Any comments? I'm still a little worried about this problem.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:32:31 PM EDT
[#6]
+1 on the carbon build up.  I've cleaned some Glocks that were so gunked up that the extractors would let go of the casings before ejecting them during firing.  A good detail cleaning which involved Carbon Blast and a dental pic scrapping off the carbon, this usually cures the problem thus allowing the extractor to hold the cartridge casing with full force.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:46:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Maybe there's not enough pressure on the plunger/spring that puts pressure on the extractor.  I'm thinking I should replace both the plunger, the plunger spring. Any comments? I'm still a little worried about this problem.

Do you have all 3 parts?:
1) Depressor Plunger
2) Depressor Plunger Spring
3) Spring loaded Bearing

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:36:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I've never seen the spring loaded bearing on either the 33 or the 34? Could it only be on the larger frames? I have yet to strip the slide on my 21.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:05:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I've never seen the spring loaded bearing on either the 33 or the 34? Could it only be on the larger frames? I have yet to strip the slide on my 21.

All Glocks have them and it is a very common part to loose if you are not careful.

White = .40/.357/.45GAP
Black = .380/9mm
Olive = 10mm/.45ACP

If you don't have it in the G34, then you found the problem. Also if you do order one be sure you tell them you have the LCI extractor because they are different then the non LCI. When you assemble the three parts before installing them, the "Depressor Plunger" is installed toward the extractor.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top