Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2005 10:00:50 PM EDT
I have some buddies who advised me that you CANNOT shoot reloaded ammo out of a stock Glock .40 barrel because the chambers are weak and that is what causes the infamous .40 kaboom. Any truth to this?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:36:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Reloading really depends if you want to shoot "Hot" loads or just something to plink with. I have shot thousands of my own reloads from a stock Glock 40 barrel without issue but I load at about 85-90% of the recommended max. I leave the "Hot" stuff to the factory, that way if they blow-up my gun I have a chance of getting it replaced. Can you have problems, sure just get sloppy or double charge a case. You can even get bad factory ammo that will cause the case to fail. Below is a G20 that belongs to a friend, he lost track of where he was at when reloading and double charged the case.  If you mess up you can do this to just about and gun.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:01:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I've seen factory manuals of pistols say no reloads of any kind (professionally done or home).  Do people listen...no.

Any firearm can go "KaBoom".  And that can be from different issues.  I have personally shot reloads (professionally loaded and my own) out of my Glock(s).  No issues.

Quoted:
Reloading really depends if you want to shoot "Hot" loads or just something to plink with. I have shot thousands of my own reloads from a stock Glock 40 barrel without issue but I load at about 85-90% of the recommended max. I leave the "Hot" stuff to the factory, that way if they blow-up my gun I have a chance of getting it replaced. Can you have problems, sure just get sloppy or double charge a case. You can even get bad factory ammo that will cause the case to fail. Below is a G20 that belongs to a friend, he lost track of where he was at when reloading and double charged the case.  If you mess up you can do this to just about and gun.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/hotrod9mm/G20-left-1c.jpg

That is a bad thing to do, loose track.... double charge or no powder (cause a barrel blockage...been there, done that).    I'v resorted to throwing the powder in 50 cases, then going back and inspecting all 50 to make sure they look the same and are not empty......

To be able to make a mistake....and come out with all your body parts (entact or w/ no injuries)....will make you a better reloader.  Learn why it happened....take steps to prevent....  I say.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:36:25 AM EDT
[#3]
If the proper care is taken, reloading for your Glock is fine. I would caution against shooting lead through your Glock though. The rifling in the Glock where it meets the chamber can get a build up and allow a cartridge to be fired while not fully chambered. One solution to this would be an aftermarket barrel with traditional rifling.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:04:16 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/hotrod9mm/G20-left-1c.jpg

A double charged 10mm???

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:30:58 PM EDT
[#5]
if you reload, use a powder charge that takes up 50% or more of the case volume, a double charge will be immediately obvious and you won't physically be able to seat the bullet.   Powder is relatively cheap.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top