Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2005 11:25:58 AM EDT
Hi,

Does anybody here juse a GLOCK 22 .40S&W as a CCW? How's the recoil on it? Is it as big as a SIG  P226? Would you trust your life on a GLOCK?

Thanks a bunch.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 6:00:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I just purchased a glock 23 and love it.  I carry a 226 for work and the Glock for off duty.  I have never been a fan of glocks but this gun shoots great.  Put a set of big dot sights on it and no complaints.  
I personally don't think there is much kick at all, very controllable.  If your trusting your life with it make sure you have confidence in what you carry.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 6:49:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I have used both the 22 and 27 for CCW at some point and I would trust either.  I use the 27 for CC more often because of its compact size.  Recoil on the Glock in 40 S&W is sharp IMO but not too much for me to manage personally.  If you're considering a concealed piece look at the midsize 23 or the small frame 27....just my .02.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 7:01:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Depending on what looks the sexiest when I open my safe, I carry a model 27, 23, 21 or a full size 1911 for conceal carry.  I tend to carry the 23 or 27 in the summer and the 21 or 1911 in the cooler months.  I carry the 1911 in a fletch style hi ride pancake galco holster and  carry the 21 in an IWB Sidearmor holster and they both work well.  The recoil on the 22 is no better or worse than any other 40 cal pistol.  I trust my life on Glocks every day I carry one and I have hundreds of hours of training behind my Glocks.  They are, based on hundreds of hours of training, the most reliable pistol out there.  Shoot your Glock or whatever you purchase until YOU belive in it to defend YOUR life and then carry it with confidence.  Formal training courses will show you the reliability of the various pistol offering out there.  I would recommend taking a formal course every few months until you can develop the ability to train on your own.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 12:58:53 PM EDT
[#4]
40 S&W is a good round.  Recoil is manageable for most people.  However you need to be able to hit what you are shooting at.  And you need to use good ammo.  There are lots of decent personal defense rounds avail.   We carry Gold Dots.   They work.  I recommend doing a bullet drop test on each and every round that is in your carry gun and spare mag.   Take your barrel off of your gun and manually put each round into the chamber  it should fully go in and then turn the barrel muzzle up and drop round out.  Make sure each round goes in and falls out with no force or effort.
Glocks are good guns.  Nice thing is they generally don't rust and are reliable.   The 22 is a big gun.  I carry one on my duty belt.   I carry a 27 as a backup gun and off duty during the summer when I have less clothing on.   During the winter I carry a 23 off duty.    As the poster above aptly put.  Take a professional shooting class,  you will see what runs and what doesn't.    Try the different guns and see which fits you best.  

I trust my life with my brain and training.  Any weapon will do.   However  Glock takes alot of the guesswork out of the what gun?

Just my .02      
BTW Sigs are good too.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 2:32:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I currently carry a G22 for CCW.  I think that the Sig is a little smaller.  I have no problem with the 22 as a CCW in terms of size but I am a big guy so I think that plays into it.  I would like to get a 27 for CCW though - much easier.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 3:32:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a G22 that I tried to carry as my ccw but I just could'nt pull it off. Tried several different holsters, bigger clothes, etc and the full frame was just too hard to try and conceal for me, maybe it's my body type (6'00" 195#) that give me a hard time? Anyway... switched to the G23 and a Alessi CQC/S and have'nt looked back.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 11:51:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Glock 22 with Trijicon or Meprolight night sights and a Galco Concealable Holster.
This is what I carry in hot and humid Miami, FL.
Extremely reliable.
I never had a problem with it.
Recoil is very controllable. No hard, sharp kickback at all.
Combat accurate. It's accuracy is however, better than most shooters.
If you want a tack driver, get something else.
Try one out before you buy it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:34:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Carry a Glock 22 in a Milt Sparks Versa Max II. You won't even notice the gun in this holster. I'm about 5'9" 170lb.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:06:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:22:03 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:02:45 PM EDT
[#11]
prefer the 23 for daily carry but the 22 is a great carry gun
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:16:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I carry a G22. You might consider a G23 depending on your body size/shape. I'm 6'5" 260lbs, and can conceal the G22 as well as my USP40c, so size is not an issue for me. On the other hand, I'm much more accurate with the G22 than wih a 9mm G19. I think it is just the size of my hands, but my POI with the G19 is always to the right. The G23 and 19 are the same size, so if you have big hands, a full-size may fit you better. As always try each one out before you buy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top