Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2005 7:01:28 PM EDT
I recently got a Glock 22 in trade after taking a very long break from the four Glocks I used to own.  It came with 5 mags and an aftermarket .357sig barrel.

I don't know what brand the .357sig barrel is, but it's blued, has "357 Sig" electro-pencilled into the side, and has cut rifling.  When I grab a box of .357sigs to try it out, I'll check for the amount of chamber support it has.  I'm assuming it has more than a factory barrel does.

The one thing that originally turned me away from Glocks is the grip angle.  The ONLY gunsmith I would trust to work on my guns (Karl Sokol of Chestnut Mountain Sports) does grip modification and the additions of beavertails on Glocks, so I may have this done.

Also, I shoot only cast bullet reloads.  Two things that factory Glock barrels don't like that much.  I can't believe the bulge in the cases of factory ammo, and I definately wouldn't want to put reloaded cases through that.  Which aftermarket barrels have cut rifling and a safe amount of chamber support for reloaded ammo.  I always reload within spec, and keep my loads under max.

I'm on the fence right now if this Glock is going to be a keeper or not.  I know I can get the grip mod done, but the barrel is the problem.  If nobody makes a barrel which has enough chamber support for standard pressure reloads, it's not worth me keeping the pistol.

Anybody have some good experiences with reloads, especially cast bullet reloads, in an aftermarket barrel?  Come on guys, give me a good reason to keep this one!

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:20:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Beavertail on a glock? That's just wrong.

You need to relearn to shoot Glock. It's all about the thumbs.

Back in the day (1996ish) I put 500rds of 3D lead round nose reloads through my Glock 21 before I knew that was bad. Never had a problem. Then again I cleaned my gun every so often.

Do you load for other 40s&w guns? I find 40cal shells to be a pita to pick up at the range.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:18:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:23:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, I do reload for other .40's, and 9mm, .45acp, .38/.357, .44mag, and a lot of rifle and carbine cartridges.  

.40 brass is not a problem for me.  I have a few lifetime supplies of it already since I get it all after PD qualifications.  I think I'm up to 4 or 5 5-gallon buckets full of it, and that's just counting the nickle coated brass, I haven't used any of the brass case stuff yet.

Last time I owned Glocks, I shot a lot of cast bullet reloads out of the factory barrels in both 9mm and .40 and never had a problem, but I don't want to start having one, either.

I need the beavertail added to the Glock.  I have big hands, like a high grip, and with my thumbs forward grip I use on everything else I shoot, the slide cuts the web of my hand.

I'm almost tempted to just sell the Glock instead of doing the mods to it and get something different, like another S&W, but part of me wants to keep the Glock, too.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:42:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, I just got back from the range with the Glock.  I have to say it's accurate and reliable.  But, it just doesn't fit me.  And, I don't want to have to "relearn" to shoot the Glock.  I have only one of those, and a LOT of S&W's and a Sig.

So, the ad on the EE is still valid.  I just don't think it would be wise for me to put a ton of money into modifying a Glock to fit me, when I can just buy another S&W or Sig and they fit me right from the factory.

It's really too bad.  The trigger mechanism and weight work very well for games like IDPA, which I want to start shooting as soon as I heal up from my current injuries.  I guess I'll have to stick to my 5943 for a 9mm and look for a 4043 for my .40 shooting.

I do appreciate everyone's advice here.  At least people can get straight answers here instead of a load of BS like you do on GT!
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:32:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Yes, I do reload for other .40's, and 9mm, .45acp, .38/.357, .44mag, and a lot of rifle and carbine cartridges.  

.40 brass is not a problem for me.  I have a few lifetime supplies of it already since I get it all after PD qualifications.  I think I'm up to 4 or 5 5-gallon buckets full of it, and that's just counting the nickle coated brass, I haven't used any of the brass case stuff yet.

Last time I owned Glocks, I shot a lot of cast bullet reloads out of the factory barrels in both 9mm and .40 and never had a problem, but I don't want to start having one, either.

I need the beavertail added to the Glock.  I have big hands, like a high grip, and with my thumbs forward grip I use on everything else I shoot, the slide cuts the web of my hand.

I'm almost tempted to just sell the Glock instead of doing the mods to it and get something different, like another S&W, but part of me wants to keep the Glock, too.

In that case (all that brass) go to glocktalk.com and find the barrel that works. Why not enjoy it?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:29:47 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm not allowed to post on GT.  I never have been, actually.

Everyone I know that is on AOL that tried registering on GT gets a message that their IP address is banned.  I spent weeks e-mailing the moderators, and finally Eric, the owner, about the problem.  Finally, I got my registration to go through, but I still don't receive the confirmation e-mail needed to be able to post.  So, I can log on, but I can't post.

I got an e-mail from Eric last week about participating in a fundraiser for GT!  Hell, he won't even square away my account, and he wants me to give money to the forum?!?!  Anyway, after 5 e-mails back and forth, I still can't post on GT.

I don't need that site.  Anyway, without an extended beavertail and grip modification, it's just not that comfortable of a pistol to me.  So, instead of spending $200 on the grip mods and another $100 minimum on a spare barrel, I'll just stick to shooting my S&W's and Sig.

My G22 is posted on the EE now.  I gave them another shot, but they just aren't for me.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:26:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'm not allowed to post on GT.  I never have been, actually.

Everyone I know that is on AOL that tried registering on GT gets a message that their IP address is banned.  I spent weeks e-mailing the moderators, and finally Eric, the owner, about the problem.  Finally, I got my registration to go through, but I still don't receive the confirmation e-mail needed to be able to post.  So, I can log on, but I can't post.

I got an e-mail from Eric last week about participating in a fundraiser for GT!  Hell, he won't even square away my account, and he wants me to give money to the forum?!?!  Anyway, after 5 e-mails back and forth, I still can't post on GT.

I don't need that site.  Anyway, without an extended beavertail and grip modification, it's just not that comfortable of a pistol to me.  So, instead of spending $200 on the grip mods and another $100 minimum on a spare barrel, I'll just stick to shooting my S&W's and Sig.

My G22 is posted on the EE now.  I gave them another shot, but they just aren't for me.

To each their own.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top