Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2005 8:57:06 AM EDT
Hello all, what do you guys think about Winchester 9MM 147Gr. JHP ammo, for self defense carry. Is this stuff worth putting into my Glock 19?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 10:17:28 AM EDT
[#1]
do you mean the white boxed stuff that is sold at walmart?

Its certainly better than FMJ for defense, but most folks will tell you a premium JHP ammo is superior.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:47:40 PM EDT
[#2]
If you're talking about the "white box", I'd avoid it. If you're talking about the Ranger RA9T, I'd go for it, because it's a good round. Most will tell you 147gr has a penchant for not opening up and therefore overpenetrating.

I used to carry 147gr RA9T in my Browning Hi-Power, but now I carry a G19 and I don't do 147gr in it. If 147gr is all you can get than any hollowpoint will beat a ball round! But if you have a choice I'd skip 147gr altogether and go for one of these (in no particular order):

124gr Speer Gold Dot HP +P
Cor-Bon 115gr JHP +P
Federal 9BP 115gr JHP
Federal 9BPLE 115gr JHP +P+
Winchester Ranger RA9TA 127gr SXTHP +P+ (hard to find in quantity sometimes but can be done)

Your G19 will handle any of these. The last two on the list are "LE only" rounds, but don't worry about that; because they're over pressure the "LE only" limitation is put there by the factory, not the law. It is fully OK for you to have and use this ammo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top