Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2005 10:50:04 AM EDT
Shot my Glock mod 22 the other day and had a slight problem with it gun went bang and blew the mag out the bottom of the gun was shooting fed factory ammo the case had the end blowen off and really deformed. would like any help at all with this problem.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:56:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Defective ammo, was it lead or reload?  You sure it was .40?  How is the slide barrel and frame?  Posting pics would help.  Also believe or not their are those around here who make shit up(particularly about Glocks going boom) it also helps your credibility.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:00:47 AM EDT
[#2]
factory federal hydra-shock 165 grain will try to post picks of the brass later [need to let camera battery charge]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:03:16 AM EDT
[#3]
The only ones that are going to help you is Glock and or Federal. Make sure you save the spent cartridge, and also the box they came in and get on the horn with Glock. I would also call Federal and give them the lot # of the ammo.

I'm curious, do you know how old the ammo was? Federal had some early ammo in .40 that was a little hot, and not as thick in the case web area. This was recalled to the best of my knowledge.

Good luck

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:06:10 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The only ones that are going to help you is Glock and or Federal. Make sure you save the spent cartridge, and also the box they came in and get on the horn with Glock.

Good luck

Yeah someone is buying you a new gun I would think Federal.  It is funny though I have seen Glocks eat SMG ammo no problem so it had to be the cartridge.  

What does the gun look like afterward?  
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:15:08 AM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:39:56 PM EDT
[#6]
did not see ANY THING WRONG WITH THE GUN BUT NEET TO CHECK THE HEAD SPACE .
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 2:08:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
did not see ANY THING WRONG WITH THE GUN BUT NEET TO CHECK THE HEAD SPACE .

You need to call Glock. I would not let anyone else fiddle with the pistol. Yes, take pics for us.

How old is your pistol? Is it stock? Are you ceratin of the type of ammo you were firing?

I would be more inclined to believe there was a case failure (i.e. overcharge/double charge, weak brass) as opposed to a headspace issue with the pistol. A couple other things which could cause what you have described is bullet setback (not common on the .40), an obstruction in the bore, a stuck firing pin possibly igniting the primer before the pistol was fully in battery (less likely).

The .40 cartridge headspaces off the case mouth and it is not as critical as say the headspace on a bolt action rifle. There is a little leeway there and I dont believe your pistol left the factory with a defective chamber resulting in excessive headspace.

We could speculate all day.... Call Glock
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:35:04 PM EDT
[#8]
First thing I thought about was the out of spec case webs that Federal produced in the mid 90s. Then I read that you shot Federal. Just ouf of curiosity how old was the ammo?

The best thing to do is save the case and talk to Glock/Federal. I hope you have the Lot number of the ammo.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:42:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I had the same thing happen in the early 90s ( 92 IIRC) while using winchester silvertips in a NIB G22.  My pistol was destroyed.    Neither Glock nor Winchester did a damned thing for me, I paid for a new frame and had to wait almost 3 months to get it.    I hope both of their customer service skills have improved over the years.   At least have a competent smith check out your pistol.   Also look at your other fired brass for bulges around the unsupported area over the feedramp.   Glocks seem to have a more agressive feedramp than many pisols and in .40 it's likely the cause of many KBs.     I have never owned another and dont plan to.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top