Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2005 12:21:22 PM EDT
OK Glock people,

While reading a thread on the 1911forum the topic of chambering a single round w/o clip came to my attention. This was about 1911's until someone said ( typed ) if you do this to a Glock the extractor will most certaintly break on the very first attempt.

I happen to know this is BS as I have done this with my G27 more than once. Is there any validity to this notion?

Gunzer
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:25:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I replaced 2 chipped extractors on a G23 prior to figuring out it was not a good idea to do with a Glock.  Do it at your own risk!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:52:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe not on the first attempt but I did chip an extractor when practicing clearing double feeds.

The chipped extractor resulted in double-feeds which was very convenient for my practice.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:56:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I would never have dreamed my otherwise indestructible Glock would be susceptible to such a debilitating injury. Thanks for your comments.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:07:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
OK Glock people,

While reading a thread on the 1911forum the topic of chambering a single round w/o magazine came to my attention. This was about 1911's until someone said ( typed ) if you do this to a Glock the extractor will most certaintly break on the very first attempt.

I happen to know this is BS as I have done this with my G27 more than once. Is there any validity to this notion?

Gunzer

M1 Garand En-Bloc Clips

M-16 Stripper Clips

French Army Magazine

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:10:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:23:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
It is not a good idea to chamber a round without a magazine in any pistol, not just a Glock.

Correct

Pistols , all semiautomatic pistols, are meant to feed from a Magazine.  The magazine holds the round in place, the stripper rail (not the brass one with all the flashing light around it ) picks the top round off the magazine, pushes it forward, up the feed ramp and the base of the cartridge slides up the face of the "breech", and the cae rim slides UNDER the extractor.

Extractors are not meant to slam into and jump around case rims
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:39:00 PM EDT
[#7]
probably won't happen the very first time.  Certainly less likely on a glock than a gun with an internal extractor.  Th way to properly insert a round without a magazine is to place a round in the chamber, slowly bring the slide forward until stops on the cartridge.  tilt the pistol up slightly and withdraw the slide slowly allowing the cartridge to slide back until it tilts under the extractor, now, push the slide closed.

Not as difficult as the description sounds, but having a magazine available is still much easier.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:41:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Won't do it on the first time, just not a good idea for repetition.  All the Glock peeps say so.  this past qualification out of 125 or so Glock 23s we spoted 3 broked extrators, along with a few other items of interest.  These guns are getting a little old (about 10 years), so replacing parts a piece at a time is the norm.  

I talked with 2 of the people that had the broken extractors and they admitted to loading one round into the spout.  I threatened to stab them with my glock tool if I had to replace another one of their extractors.

I put the fear of GASTON in them!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top