Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2005 4:53:22 AM EDT
Even though I consider myself a 1911 guy I carry a SW40VE.  Lately all the Glock hype has been getting to me and I'm seriously considering trading off my entire Smith and wesson rig and getting a similar set up and a Glock 22.  Opinions?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:55:43 AM EDT
[#1]
It would be a wise move.

The concensus on the Sigma's is "PASS, QUICKLY".

They are crap, always have been.  That's what happens when you reverse engineer a design, then set out to make it different enough to keep you out of court... and fail
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:02:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Sigmas have been through a few generations.  Gen 1's were good, the current is good,  Everything else was shit.  I've put over 8,000 rounds through mine in the past 4 months (uspsa shooter) and have only had about 7 failures.  All of which were caused by the same thing(s) dirty ammo on a hot day with a shit load of rounds through it and me being tired.  It was FTE's everytime.  The chamber would get nasty, it would be so hot I had to wear gloves because the plastic was burning my hand and it would only be if I loaded a mag, dropped the slide, and let it sit long enough for the brass to expand.  I may have had the exception gun, but mine has been wonderful.  My main complaint is that my trigger finger has muscles from the damn 12 pound trigger pull.  I do know a lot of people that have talked bad about them, but every single person I've talked to said that they go there's after Glock sued and Smith changed the design to conform with the ass kicking they took in court.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:03:43 AM EDT
[#3]
You cant go wrong with a Glock!
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:16:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:06:23 AM EDT
[#5]
The only thing I would suggest is to take a look at the 23 instead of the 22.  It is easier to carry for me personally, some may feel differently.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:20:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I did it.  I'm now the proud new owner of a new Glock 22 with an extended slide release and mag release.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:40:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I did it.  I'm now the proud new owner of a new Glock 22 with an extended slide release and mag release.  

WOW....That didn't take long!!  
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:48:20 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

my gun shop is less than a mile away.  And I caught him at opening when he wasn't doing shit anyway.  I put in the extended releases while he called and totaled things up and looked over my trade.  I got a fobus thigh rig too.  And a few hydra shoks.  Go figure....
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:44:26 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Congrats, now what will your next glock be?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:55:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:59:30 AM EDT
[#11]
I am up to 4 now, you could say I love them.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:15:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No s**t!

It takes me that long to find my car keys.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:55:03 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No s**t!

It takes me that long to find my car keys.

Lol.  All I had to do was call him and tell him to pull a new one and the extended releases.  He has the tools out already and I'd already decided the exact rig I wanted.  I had a fobus paddle holster for my smith and decided that I wanted a roto paddle and drop rig for it.  Well I got it and I'll be damed if the damn thing didn't get stuck.  I was pissed.  Then I put the rig on and tried drawing then.  It's perfect.  It has just the perfect tension.  I'm in love already and have yet to ever have popped a cap on a glock.  I'm itchin......
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:04:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Something else no one ever mentioned to me.  Glock mags are a BITCH to load.  And my next will probably be a 23 or 27.
ETA: I can't spell glock
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:38:42 AM EDT
[#15]
sorry for the triple post.  But I forgot the best part.  I had so much crap laying around here like holsters and mags and shit that I was to lazy to put on the EE forum, that (great part coming) it didn't cost me anything.  My gun guy needed a bunch of the shit and we have thrown a few deals each others way.  He could get 600 retail for everything he got off of me.  And I got a new $500 glock with 40 dollars worth of internal shit done to it and 45 bucks worth of holster.  Close enough for me.  Oh yeah, I got an extra mag (total of 3) too.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:51:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:16:50 AM EDT
[#17]
The mags will get easier to load.  Load them up and let them sit a while.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:00:08 PM EDT
[#18]

I'm one of the Glock people now.  Sorry to all the 1911 guys,  I guess I'm a traitor....
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:46:52 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
It would be a wise move.
The concensus on the Sigma's is "PASS, QUICKLY".

They are crap, always have been.  That's what happens when you reverse engineer a design, then set out to make it different enough to keep you out of court... and fail

get rid of that sorryass Glockclone Sigma !!   Mine was a unreliable POS !!!

I really couldn't understand how a company (S&W) could screw up such a simple design ?!?

I traded my SW40VE for a nice lightly used G34 to go with my  G19's
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:57:30 AM EDT
[#20]
uh, did you miss every post after the first one? lol  one i already got rid of it. two, i had one of the good sigmas.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 3:22:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Welcome to the dark side Dusty!
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 3:23:59 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Thank you.  Good to be here.  Be prepared for a range report from hell later today.  I've yet to fire the gun yet, and today it will be my shooter at a VERY muddy USPSA match.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 3:26:00 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank you.  Good to be here.  Be prepared for a range report from hell later today.  I've yet to fire the gun yet, and today it will be my shooter at a VERY muddy USPSA match.

You are going to fit in well around here because we require pictures (which you've done) and we require range reports (which you are planning on doing)

We also love it when 1911 guys join the dark side because it shows we've been right all along
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 4:08:32 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are going to fit in well around here because we require pictures (which you've done) and we require range reports (which you are planning on doing)

We also love it when 1911 guys join the dark side because it shows we've been right all along

The main draw for me to 1911's was the trigger pull of the SA.  The trigger on this Glock is lighter and smoother than the trigger on my last 1911.  It still has the factory trigger.  My smith had a 12 pound trigger and I didn't want to go straight to a 3 pound.  So I'm going to get used to this then move down.  My gun guy and i both thought that I'd pull the trigger 4 times for every one time I tried because of it.  I hope we don't get rained out today.  It stormed pretty bad last night so it'll be muddy but the rain is thinning out so hopefully we will still go. I'm going to shoot today either way.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 4:12:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Dusty - I recommend you leave the stock trigger in there and just shoot the shit out of it.  Save your money for ammo.  After a couple thousand rounds that trigger will feel nice and smooth

I was at the range a few weeks ago with my G19 and I let some guy shoot it.  He asked what I did with the trigger and I told him I just shot 4000+ rounds through it
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 4:18:54 AM EDT
[#26]
lol  i've gotta find ammo I trust for USPSA.  I don't want to shoot white box, but if that's all I can find locally I will.  My gun guy sells Mag-tech for plinking and I don't like it.  I had a lot of issues with hard primers and bad primers in there .45 ammo.  Of course now I have this odd rectangular firing pin...
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 4:31:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Ok earlier I mentioned the storm,  now I've looked outside.  Here is my backyard

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:12:25 AM EDT
[#28]
I live in the Northwest and people here have no idea what rain really is.

Welcome to the Glockside! One nice thing about the G22(most Glocks for that matter) all you need is a G31 barrel and you now have 2 Glocks.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:07:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Ok here's the range report.

hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehheehhehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe

+ eleventybillion

I've never had the pleasure before.  I'm sold forever on glocks.  Adjusting to the grip angle is easy, the trigger pull is better than sex.  I'm in love.  First target was 15 yards away, 16 rounds rapid fire.  Keeping in mind that I've NEVER shot a Glock before today I was able to easily hold an 8 inch group. It only got better from there.  Pretty soon I was dropping to double taps into the head alpha on  USPSA targets without thinking about it from 5 yards.  I'm in love.  Not one damn hiccup.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:38:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Took my wife with me to the range today. Well to the dirt road for her to get a feel for my Glock 22.  2 hours later we walked out of the Gun store with her a Glock 27.  woo hoo
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:07:09 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Ok here's the range report.

hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehheehhehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe

+ eleventybillion

I've never had the pleasure before.  I'm sold forever on glocks.  Adjusting to the grip angle is easy, the trigger pull is better than sex.  I'm in love.  First target was 15 yards away, 16 rounds rapid fire.  Keeping in mind that I've NEVER shot a Glock before today I was able to easily hold an 8 inch group. It only got better from there.  Pretty soon I was dropping to double taps into the head alpha on  USPSA targets without thinking about it from 5 yards.  I'm in love.  Not one damn hiccup.

Sounds a lot like my first experience with a Glock. Mine was with a friend's issue G22, and I was surprised at how wrong about Glocks I had been. Too bad it took me another few years to dig my head out of my ass, and get my 19. Well, wtf...I have it now, and this is finally the pistol I'm keepin'.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:43:00 PM EDT
[#32]
I had a S&W 9VE, it's a very reliable gun but the trigger was way to heavy and too much travel for my liking.  It was very hard for me to be accurate with.  I ended up selling it and getting a G19.  When I first shot the G19 I was in complete awe of how much better it was than the Sigma.  My groups tightend up extremely compared to the Sigma.  The difference is truly night and day.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:26:22 AM EDT
[#33]
I understand how you feel about being a "traitor."  My Dad was ALWAYS a 1911 shooter, and since I was a kid, I've been a 1911 shooter.  He got a G27 in the spring, and it's his new CCW pistol.  He feels as though he's betrayed his 1911's, but he's in love with the Glock.  I'm currently on the market for a G17 for 3gun matches, and I feel like a traitor too, but I can't escape my love for the Glocks.  Whenever I can come up w/ enough stipend money, I'll buy one that second.  

ps-if anyone has an old beaten up G17 they want to get rid of for cheap, let me know.

Airborne
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:33:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Hell I shot her 27 today and I think it's quicker back on target than any 1911 I ever had.  But I can damn near hold my 22 on targer for super fast follow up shots.  I'm gonna do a lot better at USPSA.  I love it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top