Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2005 7:08:12 PM EDT
I love the 357sig round. It suits me well. I want a full size frame weapon in 357 but I also want a 15 round mag to put in it. I have a sig 229 and looked at the 226 but it only has a 12 round mag. That pretty much means I'm looking at a G31. My only concern with the 31 is something I have heard about the Glock frame does not handle the pressures of the 357sig round very well. Cracks and worse in the frame was what I've heard.
Can anyone confirm or deny this info? I know a KB is possible with any weapon but the info was specific to the glock in 357. Any help would be great. Thanks
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:24:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought my G31 when they first came out and I have yet to have any problems.

IIRC, the whole Kb thing came about when the .40 S&W was introduced. The .40 was basically a short 10mm and when the round was designed, the webbing of the brass was not reinforced to account for the higher pressures that were produced. Couple that with the chamber of the Glock, which does not fully support the cartridge, and you start having Kb's.

The problem with the non-reinforced brass has long since been resolved. Normally, your Kb's now, are caused by hot reloads.

There was a recent recall on some of the "E" serial model Glocks, for possible frame/rail problems, that were manufactured in the 2000/2001 time period.

ETA: Since the .357 SIG round is so snappy, it is recommended that you replace the captured guide rod/spring assembly every 1000 rds or so. Just thought I'd throw that out, since doing that will save wear and tear on the frame.

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:12:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:53:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I picked up a 31 about 2 months ago--Excellent accuracy and not near as "snappy" a recoil as I had been hearing. Not near as "snappy" as my 23 at least.
I sure wouldn't worry about wearing it out unless you're going to do 500 rds. a week thru it, and if you can afford that, you could afford to replace it when the time comes. The price and availability/selection of ammo is the only drawback.My 2 cents
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:59:54 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The price and availability/selection of ammo is the only drawback.My 2 cents

Yeah, that has been an issue. Recently, however wal-mart has started to carry 357sig Winchester white box in my area.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:35:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I didn't want to start a new thread so I hope MrWithasee doesn't mind me piggybacking off of his.

I've been thinking about getting a G31 for some odd reason, is that wrong?

I've shot the XD in 357 Sig & .40 but hated it...it felt like it was going to shake itself apart. Have any of you guys shot both?  If so how do they compare?

This would be more of a fun gun and wouldn't be used a lot but I think it makes more sense to me than a G37 because I can use all my G17 holsters.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:15:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I love the 357sig round. It suits me well. I want a full size frame weapon in 357 but I also want a 15 round mag to put in it. I have a sig 229 and looked at the 226 but it only has a 12 round mag. That pretty much means I'm looking at a G31. My only concern with the 31 is something I have heard about the Glock frame does not handle the pressures of the 357sig round very well. Cracks and worse in the frame was what I've heard.
Can anyone confirm or deny this info? I know a KB is possible with any weapon but the info was specific to the glock in 357. Any help would be great. Thanks

My department went to the G31 a little over a year ago.  I have heard of zero problems with them (a huge step up from the P220's they replaced).  I shoot the crap out of mine.  Very accurate pistols, easy to shoot well, and the price is right for ammo (free - PD pays for it).  I got a 32C also (I'm a detective and primarily work plain clothes).  I couldn't be happier with the gun/round combo.  Highly recommended.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top