Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2005 3:46:09 PM EDT
I have a Gen3 G19 with about 8k rounds on her. I replaced the recoil spring assy about 1k rounds ago.

Today I had two stovepipes in 200 rounds. WWB 115gr FMJ. Pistol was detail stripped and thoroughly cleaned about 500 rounds ago. Previous range trip firing 300 rounds had 0 issues.

Will weak mag springs cause this? I have two range mags I use all the time, never changed the springs. Extractor groove looks clean, no obvious obstuction on the ejection port.

Puzzled.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:59:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Normally I'd say limp wristing but since you have 8k rounds and I assume you're proficient with it already, then I'm as puzzled as you are. Have you tried different ammo? When it does work, how far does it throw the brass? If you have new recoil springs, it could be weak mag springs as you hypothesized.  I typically replace recoil springs every 5k rounds and mag springs every year. Might be overkill but they're cheap parts and I keep plentiful stock on these parts.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:14:43 PM EDT
[#2]
WWB is really the only thing I've ever shot out of this pistol with any regularity. 1k Blazer Brass, maybe 200 Wolf, and the rest WWB.

I'm going to replace all the mag springs as a precaution. I'll probably change out the ejection system as well and keep the parts for backup.

I've got about 40k rounds of Glock 9mm under my belt so I *hope* limp wristing isn't setting in. I was shooting dots today, so I wasn't being sloppy to make up time.

ETA before the recoil rod change the pistol was flinging brass into my head. Now they land at least 6' back and to the right.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:30:30 PM EDT
[#3]
It really didn't sound like limp wristing, I just mentioned it for completeness Now that you've established you're a Glock "veteran" and not limp wristing is it possible you may have a few rounds of bad ammo? I've used all sorts of ammo on mine from full power +P+ to very underpowered loads and my own reloads and my first generation G19 has never stove piped on me in over 15k rounds of shooting. I'd like to hear what you find to be the cause of this problem.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:23:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Flinging brass into your head and stovepipes are both a sign of limp wristing.  Happens to the best of us.  I get the very rare stovepipe and regularly get brass on my head when I shoot 9mm out of my G22, but gets a lot worse when I get lazy.  Otherwise the brass gets whipped a good 10-12 feet away.

Did you replace with a stock glock recoil spring or aftermarket?  
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:04:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:47:52 PM EDT
[#6]
2 FTE out of 200 rounds is a problem. 2 out of 8000 is not.

Could be my wrist. I won't discount that. But I'm still getting all new parts.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:02:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm going to suggest you change the mag springs first and go from there.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:58:43 AM EDT
[#8]
I change my mag springs every year.  Better safe than sorry.  I would replace the springs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top