Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2005 7:52:13 AM EDT
First of all, WOOO HOOO!

There, I feel better now.  Anyways, this is my first Glock and am pretty happy with the way it fits my hand and the weight of the pistol.  I do have a few questions though.

The slide release "feels" like it's almost a part of the slide.  I know that's hard to understand.  What I mean is it takes a LOT of force for me to get the slide release to go down and I can't do it with my strong hand.  Is this common and I just need to take it to the range and limber it up a bit?  Would I resolve this with an extended slide release?

Also, I ordered a nifty CTAC holster.  Yes, the paper that came with the CTAC says Glock 29/30.  I go to put my new baby into the holster and it doesn't want to go.  No problem I think, I'll just push it in a little.  Probably just needs to be broken in.  After that, I then spent almost 20 minutes trying to remove the pistol from the holster.  I was seriously thinking I was going to have to cut it off.  I'm sure I'm missing something here.  The pistol will go in right up to the trigger guard and that's as far as it's going unless I force it in.  Little help for a Glock newbie please!

All that being said, I couldn't be happier with my new CCW pistol!  Can't wait to get to the range!
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:07:46 AM EDT
[#1]
You need to stop using the slide release for reloads. Use it to inspect, and clean, but when it locks back on a empty mag, insert a mag, grip the rear of the slide and sling shot the action home by pulling all the way back and releasing. This simulates the natural recoil of the weapons design and will increase your reliability uppon reloading. It is a popular practice.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:11:19 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
First of all, WOOO HOOO!

There, I feel better now.  Anyways, this is my first Glock and am pretty happy with the way it fits my hand and the weight of the pistol.  I do have a few questions though.

The slide release "feels" like it's almost a part of the slide.  I know that's hard to understand.  What I mean is it takes a LOT of force for me to get the slide release to go down and I can't do it with my strong hand.  Is this common and I just need to take it to the range and limber it up a bit?  Would I resolve this with an extended slide release?

Also, I ordered a nifty CTAC holster.  Yes, the paper that came with the CTAC says Glock 29/30.  I go to put my new baby into the holster and it doesn't want to go.  No problem I think, I'll just push it in a little.  Probably just needs to be broken in.  After that, I then spent almost 20 minutes trying to remove the pistol from the holster.  I was seriously thinking I was going to have to cut it off.  I'm sure I'm missing something here.  The pistol will go in right up to the trigger guard and that's as far as it's going unless I force it in.  Little help for a Glock newbie please!

All that being said, I couldn't be happier with my new CCW pistol!  Can't wait to get to the range!

I have a G30, the piece your talking about is called the slide stop, my  slide stop takes some force to release.
Don't rely on the slide stop to release your slide, you should release it by placing your hand over the topof the slide and pulling back, this is a much better way in a stressful situation.
I love my G30 , it is so damn accurate. Did you get to shoot yours??

Perry
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:22:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Excellent!  That answers my "slide release" question.  Any one have any ideas on the CTAC??

Haven't shot it yet, should be able to get to the range on Friday!
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:55:31 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You need to stop using the slide release for reloads. Use it to inspect, and clean, but when it locks back on a empty mag, insert a mag, grip the rear of the slide and sling shot the action home by pulling all the way back and releasing. This simulates the natural recoil of the weapons design and will increase your reliability uppon reloading. It is a popular practice.

+1
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:13:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:09:53 PM EDT
[#6]
does teh holster have tension screws?
my Side Armor is for a 29/30 and there are some screws that adjust how tight the holster is
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:25:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the replies.  I was trying to drop the slide on an empty mag, I will employ the sling shot technique!

About the CTAC, I called them up today.  EXTREMELY nice people.  My Glock has rails and apparently the standard CTAC will not fit mine.  They are making a new holster and sending it to me with an envelope to return the wrong one to them!  They said I should have let them know it had rails and I told them the website never made any mention of that.  The guy said they'd let the web team know.  Very happy with their service!

Thanks again for the assist!
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:30:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Thanks for all the replies.  I was trying to drop the slide on an empty mag, I will employ the sling shot technique!

About the CTAC, I called them up today.  EXTREMELY nice people.  My Glock has rails and apparently the standard CTAC will not fit mine.  They are making a new holster and sending it to me with an envelope to return the wrong one to them!  They said I should have let them know it had rails and I told them the website never made any mention of that.  The guy said they'd let the web team know.  Very happy with their service!

Thanks again for the assist!

Yeah, the new frame G36 and G30 (G26?) w/rail won't fit hosters correctly...
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:37:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Glock makes the 30 with a rail now?
cool
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:35:33 PM EDT
[#10]

I had the same deal with my G21 when I first got it, and got the same advise from everyone to slingshot it.  After a couple hundred rounds, the slide lock started to release with ease.  Give it time.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:02:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
 I had the same deal with my G21 when I first got it, and got the same advise from everyone to slingshot it.  After a couple hundred rounds, the slide lock started to release with ease.  Give it time.

I ran about 100 rounds through my new pistol yesterday.  It has certainly loosened up a lot already.  Great little gun.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:23:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I dont know about your hand size of course but for around $5 a piece the Scherer mag extentions made all the difference for me.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:29:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I got the Pearce extension put on one of my mags after I came back from the range.  The fit is so much more comfortable now.  Wish I would have remembered to put this on before I went to the range.  Oh well, next weekend is another range day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top