Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2005 12:33:14 PM EDT
After carrying my new Glock 22 for a month or so I noticed that the stock plastic sights are getting pretty beat up, in retrospect I probably sould have just purchased it with night sights, now I am going to replace them...I was thinking of going with either meprolight or trijicon, who has the best deals on either of these?

also what has been your experience with either? which is better?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:31:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't used either but did some extensive research on these:

From what I hear, the Trijicons have annoying white outlines on the sights that come off.
The Meps have a fat front post (poor sight picture) and the tubes aren't very bright.
A lot of ppl like Heine Straight 8s, but the elongated 8 makes no sense whatsoever.

I have on order an Ameriglo Smooth Operator which has a wide rear sight and a narrow front sight (3 dots, green/green). I will take pics when I get them.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:13:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I know this isn't what you're asking about, but a worthwhile combination may be a Novak Lo-Mount fixed rear with tritium bar (or dots) and an XS standard dot front sight with tritium insert...It's what I use on ALL my autoloaders and the picture is so clear, but the sights are low profile...FWIW
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:32:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Just put XS night sights on today.

Glock 27
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:34:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Damn, I cropped that pic too.

Sorry for the large pic.

Woosaa
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:20:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the Mepros on my G22 and the Trijicons on my G27. The Meps have a bigger white outline than the Trijicons. In the dark, the Meps have larger lit up vials. The Trijicons seem a bit brighter and definately has a sharper image in the dark although the dots appear smaller. It is a give and take as to which is better. In the day, I like the larger outline of the Meps better as they appear as larger white dots. In the dark I personally like the Trijicons as the Meps appear larger but "fuzzier" than the sharp, smaller Trijicon. Here is a photo that I cropped to show both, side by side, front and rear. The ones on the left are the Meps and on the right, Trijicon.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:23:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I too have been using meps, trij, and XS and they all work fine on all my pistols. Really a matter of preference
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:57:42 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I haven't used either but did some extensive research on these:

From what I hear, the Trijicons have annoying white outlines on the sights that come off.
The Meps have a fat front post (poor sight picture) and the tubes aren't very bright.
A lot of ppl like Heine Straight 8s, but the elongated 8 makes no sense whatsoever.

I have on order an Ameriglo Smooth Operator which has a wide rear sight and a narrow front sight (3 dots, green/green). I will take pics when I get them.

Another + for the Ameriglo Operator . Nice thing also is you can install them yourself, all tools included. I started switching ALL my Glock to them.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:23:02 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I have the Mepros on my G22 and the Trijicons on my G27.

Same here.  I slightly prefer the Mepros because the entire sight is higher-profile, but both of them are fine.  You won't go wrong with either.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:35:24 AM EDT
[#9]
The trijicons fucked up my POI to the point that I could not confidently make a 20 yard head shot.  I put them on a G24 slide and sold it.  I went back to OEM sights.  After shooting a good low light school I've found that night sights are a non requirement.

The polymer sights on the glock are the one shortfall of the pistol, but they're cheap to replace when the get banged up.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:52:15 AM EDT
[#10]
I've used both + the crappy glock brand night sights.
I prefer the big front post for a combat gun..  That's all you're going to see anyway.
The meps are my preference but you can't go wrong with either.

I would tell you to steer clear of the glock factory night sight.   I've had two front sights go bad on my backup gun 27.   The front sight is swaged on instead of the screw.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:33:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Alan, from most info I've read folks prefer the mepro's.  However, IMHO buying night sights is not worth the added expense UNLESS you shoot frequently during low light or at night.  Since I don't shoot in either of those conditions (on a regular basis) I opted to put a Novak rear and a red Dawson Precision fiber optic tube on front.  Terrific combination.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:45:08 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Alan, from most info I've read folks prefer the mepro's.  However, IMHO buying night sights is not worth the added expense UNLESS you shoot frequently during low light or at night.  Since I don't shoot in either of those conditions (on a regular basis) I opted to put a Novak rear and a red Dawson Precision fiber optic tube on front.  Terrific combination.

It sounds from his initial post that this is his carry pistol so the one time that he may need to use it very well could be in low light. If he is primarily using this as a range pistol then I would agree on the use of fiber optics. I have a Sig P220ST with fiber optics and it is a very accurate range pistol.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:20:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The trijicons fucked up my POI to the point that I could not confidently make a 20 yard head shot.  I put them on a G24 slide and sold it.  I went back to OEM sights.  After shooting a good low light school I've found that night sights are a non requirement.

The polymer sights on the glock are the one shortfall of the pistol, but they're cheap to replace when the get banged up.

I hope this isn't the case as I sent it back to glock to install trijicon today....

I also couldn't agree more that the polymer sights are the bigest shortfall of the pistol!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:54:24 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hope this isn't the case as I sent it back to glock to install trijicon today....

I also couldn't agree more that the polymer sights are the bigest shortfall of the pistol!

I purchased my G22 with the Meps on it and the G27 with the Trijicons on it. I don't have a POI issue with either pistol. I put Trijicons on my G19 and don't have any issues with it either. Maybe they come in different heights like they do for the Sigs which would change POI, I'm not sure.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:26:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Glock should just make steel versions of their plastic sights and be done with it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:09:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I think that they do but they are not standard.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top