Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2021 4:53:52 PM EDT
I bought a 44 so that I could shoot 22lr from a gun that was very similar to the 19.  I'm sure at least half of the guns purchased were for the same reason.  I now have over 3K through the gun and some things have been consistent the whole time, other things have changed.  I clean the gun every 550-1100 rounds.

The gun is ammo sensitive.  It requires more power than Nosler standard pressure .22 to cycle.  Any 40 grain 22 going over 1100fps (on the box not in reality) seems to run the gun consistently.  Lower weight bullets that are loaded hot will also run the gun reliably.  (cci stingers for example)

The gun is accurate enough.  I've read people claiming incredible accuracy and I'm not getting that out of mine.  My copy shoots about 5" high at 25 yeards.  It's not the end of the world but it is annoying.  I've six different types of 22lr and there were inpact height differences.  The obvious issue is being able to find the ammo that shoots closer to point of impact.  As far as groups, if you take your time and shoot slowly you can have a small ragged hole at 15 yards.  Not a single tiny hole, but a small ragged hole.  Not a target gun but totally acceptable for the intended purose.

I only have the two original mags that came with it.  I never had any issues until the last 600 rounds.  The rounds are randomly nose diving in the mags.  The spring pressure seems good, and it requires raising the nose of the bullet in the mag to get it to feed.  It isn't every magazine, but it does happen somewhat frequently.  Military arms channel had this issue when he first got his gun, he demonstrated it in a video, I never had that issue until recently.  

The Price.  I don't mind spending money on quality guns.  This gun isn't worth $450 except that it allows you to shoot a G19 22lr that weighs less than a real one.  If this were the only model of pistol Glock produced, and they charged this price, they would be out of business.   I have a lot of Glocks, I am a big Glock fan, that doesn't change the truth.  

CONCLUSION- If you shoot Glocks, and you want a training pistol that will let you shoot decent .22lr ammo, this gun is worth both the price and the issues.  If 9mm were readily available at reasonable prices I probably wouldn't shoot this gun at all.  Given the current climate, I shoot this gun several times a week.  If you have access to decent pressure .22 ammo, and you used to shoot a lot before the current situation, this is a logical choice.  The grip really lets you test what would and wouldn't work with a normal G19 without spending .60-.90 cents a shot.  The trigger isn't the same as a Gen 5 but it is usable.  It kind of feels like a Gen 2 G17.  It's not an impressive gun, but it's very useful.  Currently, A G44 and dry fire may be the smart ways to hold onto your ammo supply.  I know some people have just stopped shooting, but if you love to shoot/train this might be an acceptable option.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:04:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Thank you for the review.  What various ammo did and did not work for you?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:16:12 PM EDT
[#2]
We have one at the range as a rental. We easily have 15k or more through the gun, 52 weeks times 2-300 rounds per week on average. I use it for first time shooter classes. Decently accurate at 3 and 7 yards. Good trainer. We get the occasional nosedived rounds but it seems to happen as a result of dirty mags and limp-wristing. Clean mags and a good grip and we're not seeing it for the most part. Ours has not been very finicky with ammo either, eats most everything we've shot through it.

I'd own one for around $300 (during nomal pricing times) but no more than that.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:23:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Winchester - 333 rnds per box (white box with red lettering)  36 grain at 1280FPS works very well.

CCI stingers work 100% and halve a bright flash.  Not helpful but amusing to see, particularly at indoor ranges.

Blazer 38 grain 1235fps works well

federal "automatch" 40 grain    It says on the box "Ideal for Semi-autos"   Runs great in my 44

Anything that isn't subsonic or around 1000 fps will probably cycle it reliably.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:52:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Winchester - 333 rnds per box (white box with red lettering)  36 grain at 1280FPS works very well.

CCI stingers work 100% and halve a bright flash.  Not helpful but amusing to see, particularly at indoor ranges.

Blazer 38 grain 1235fps works well

federal "automatch" 40 grain    It says on the box "Ideal for Semi-autos"   Runs great in my 44

Anything that isn't subsonic or around 1000 fps will probably cycle it reliably.
View Quote

Thanks,  the cci works in nearly everything but it's as expensive as 9mm almost
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:22:02 PM EDT
[#5]
My G44 does exceptionally well with CCI Mini Mags. They function great and are very accurate. I have also used Aquila Super Extra 40GR CPRN and 38Gr CPHP, Federal Champion 40Gr RN high velocity and CCI Standard 40Gr RN ammo without any issues and all are minute of clay bird out to 50 yards. I had some Armscor 40Gr high velocity ammo that functioned well but wasn't very accurate.

I have over 7,000 trouble free rounds through my G44 and at 1/2 of the those rounds are while using the 4 ProMag 18 round magazines.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top