Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2005 2:42:32 PM EDT
Hi.

I spent about 2 years shooting my father's 1988 Glock 17 at steel and in practical pistol matches when I was younger.  

When I turned 20, I bought a sig 226 as my first 'real' pistol, partially because it was a really good deal.

Lately, I wanted something different.  The trigger reach was long, the DA/SA transition.......sucked, and a sig P226 really is on the large side for concealed carry.

I broke down and ordered a Glock 19 from CDNN early this week.  I like glocks; I shoot them well.

Ordered 4 spare 15 rounders with it.  I have some ammo on hand.

What else, if anything, should I do to prepare for it?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:04:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Perhaps, a good holster and mag pouches
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:06:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Buy more ammo
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:17:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm getting a first generation frame.  If I want rails to be uber cool, will glock do frame upgrades?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:20:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'm getting a first generation frame.  If I want rails to be uber cool, will glock do frame upgrades?

I "think" they do... it's been a while... uh... IIRC, like $25-$50 and your frame will get you a Gen 3 FGR... but find out for sure... and post it!!!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:21:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Yes.  There are a few places that will do that.  I can't think of them right now, though.

I personally don't like the finger grooves, which you will get if you opt for the upgrade.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:24:06 PM EDT
[#6]
nationwide....okay, if I go for it, I'll stick it in...wait, no, wont' do that, but I will post pics and give a writeup.

Packn - oddly enough....never handled a glock with finger grooves.   If they don't agree with me, I have a belt sander, a bench sander, a friendly 001 FFL and contact info for shops that do 'grip reductions'.....professional belt sander jobs, I suppose.

It feels good to get something I want after all the wait...
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:32:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Night sights.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:40:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Night sights.

yea +1
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:27:13 PM EDT
[#9]
As has been said . . . Night Sights, Holster, Ammunition
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:50:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't forget the belt.
They always forget the belt!

Congrats on the 19.
Good gun.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:00:06 AM EDT
[#11]
AMMO and extra mags

night sights

a good holster

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:01:42 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
AMMO and extra mags

night sights

a good holster

+1.  Don't booger up the pistol with aftermarket parts other than night sights.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:03:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Shoot it as-is. The 19 is great right out of the box.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:48:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Night sights.

I would imagine you are getting a 2nd gen BTW.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:30:17 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
AMMO and extra mags

night sights

a good holster

+1.  Don't booger up the pistol with aftermarket parts other than night sights.

I just got another G19 in trade from member.  He's putting Trijicon 3 dot (green) sights on it for me at work.  Other than that, I like the Glock factory extended slide release and that's it!  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:29:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Some people buy the 3.5# connector as well. It's easier to shoot with from what I heard.

I have a Vepr with a 2-stage trigger that has a light letup, about 4 lb. I have a AR-15 with a single stage trigger that has a 6-8 lb trigger pull. The lighter trigger pull is easier to use and chances of AD/NDs are eliminated if you leave the finger off the trigger.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:32:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Wearing a good belt.  Will be getting more ammo.

Expect the gun to come in middle of next week.  The waiting sucks.

It *should* have night sights on it, but they may be dead.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:33:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:53:51 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Get your trigger return spring replaced. It sounds like the gun may be a little old. Even if it breaks you just have to push the trigger forward in order for it to run.

I love Gen 2s. Have several and the only thing that breaks are the trigger return springs.

Also upgrade the mag springs, unless they send you new mags.

Good luck.

This is a common misconception.  The slide must be cycled for the trigger to reset.  If you maintain pressure on the trigger (on a Glock with a broken trigger spring) the trigger will still reset.  If you totally let up on the trigger, it will not reset.  If that happens press on the trigger again (even though it's in it's fired state) and cycle the slide by hand, then let up just enough that the trigger resets.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 10:18:14 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Get your trigger return spring replaced. It sounds like the gun may be a little old. Even if it breaks you just have to push the trigger forward in order for it to run.

I love Gen 2s. Have several and the only thing that breaks are the trigger return springs.

Also upgrade the mag springs, unless they send you new mags.

Good luck.

This is a common misconception.  The slide must be cycled for the trigger to reset.  If you maintain pressure on the trigger (on a Glock with a broken trigger spring) the trigger will still reset.  If you totally let up on the trigger, it will not reset.  If that happens press on the trigger again (if though it's in it's fired state) and cycle the slide by hand, then let up just enough that the trigger resets.

Correct
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 10:25:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 10:55:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Are there any plugs that work as a partial magwell, or are they just....plugs?

Plugs are there just to keep drek out of the works?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 11:30:11 AM EDT
[#23]
The plugs are just to spend money on.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:03:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:13:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Make sure it has the current improved slide lock spring.  (the spring located under the take down bar).  It should be the same width the whole length, not wasp waists.  the old style will wear through.

Get a spare extractor, extractor spring, spring loaded bearing and plunger.  They will wear out at about the 50K mark and need to be replaced.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:18:14 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a 93 production G19.  Trigger spring broke at about 2000 rounds.   Get a Glock book from Ptooma.  Get a Glock disassembly tool.  Yes, it's a $7 dollar piece of plastic, but it is perfect for taking everything apart, especially the magazines.  Go figure.  Get some decent sights.  Get a flashlight.  Get a decent holster that stays open after the draw so you can reholster easily...  I like Kramer IWB.  A sturdy belt.  Mag pouch...I like Galco's double pouch.  Lots of ammo... I like S&B non-toxic since I have a baby in the house and want to keep lead to a minimum.  

The less you modify the gun and magazines, the happier you'll be, in my opinion.  

Good luck and happy shooting.  

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:07:27 PM EDT
[#27]
damn , muxt be a lemon.  my g19 still runnuing after approx 15k rds . havent cleaned it in a year or two ,cant freaking remember. but i remember to keep putting rounds thru it. 1st gen no probs, didnt like the sight so i had an lapd armorer pur heine sights on it.

carne-eater
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:52:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Save your money.   Spend it on a shooting class.   Your gun is good to go, directly from the MFG.  All the gadgets that look cool and have functional purpose are going to do you no good if you can't shoot well.   And you can never shoot good enough.   There is always a bigger badder dog out there.  You must practice and make it count.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 2:02:19 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Save your money.   Spend it on a shooting class.   Your gun is good to go, directly from the MFG.  All the gadgets that look cool and have functional purpose are going to do you no good if you can't shoot well.   And you can never shoot good enough.   There is always a bigger badder dog out there.  You must practice and make it count.

Amen to that! My 19 is stone stock and I'll most likely keep it that way (though I'm considering switching to Xpress night sights). Only thing I spend money on nowadays is: 1) ammo, 2) training. Took me a while to learn to shoot the Glock after learning first with a 1911; the classes helped immensely!
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:16:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Got it Monday after work.  I love it.

Night sights are still live (96 dated)

CAG serial prefix, mags are marked MPD.  DC Metro police surplus??

It shoots well, it carries well, it tastes really bad, and I'm off to brownells for a 3.5 connector and plug.  Anything else?

Is it true some people use a lighter connector with heavier NY trigger springs?  If so....what purpose does this serve?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top