Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2005 1:58:52 PM EDT
can a glock mag be kept fully loaded for extended periods of time without damge to the mag?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:14:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:15:22 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I always keep mine loaded and have yet to have any problems.

Same here.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:23:13 PM EDT
[#3]
You should empty them like once every 6 months...

But I hope you're shooting more than that anyways
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:23:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I keep mine fully loaded and haven't seen any of them misfeed at all.  With newer mags, I almost recommend it to break them in so they aren't a pain trying to load the last few rounds.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:16:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:13:36 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I go shooting weekly, so thats not a problem.

Then you are ahead of 99% of the folks here, including me
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:19:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I've read time & again it doesnt hurt leaving mags loaded,but had to see for myself.
So, I started just keeping a few mags loaded for long period of time.
I'd purchased extra springs just in case of needing replacements.
I've yet had to replaced any mag springs in my glock,1911s,browning high power.
I also keep my AR and glock mags loaded,yet, havent had  any problems.

Most are fully loaded,but for my shtf stash, I keep 28rd in my AR mags.

TG

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:36:07 AM EDT
[#8]
As stated elsewhere in this site, it's the cycling that wears out springs, not keeping them compressed or extended for any length of time. In other words, you'll wear out the springs faster with use than you will with long-term compression...as long as the spring is compressed within it's design limits. Any Glock mag spring will be well within it's compression limits at full magazine capacity.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:37:39 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I go shooting weekly, so thats not a problem.

Oh, to reminisce...I used to go weekly, too...but getting married and making babies put an end to the weekly shooting - now it's more like every two months.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:02:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I leave it fully loaded (rifle mags as well) so it gets broken in.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:02:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
As stated elsewhere in this site, it's the cycling that wears out springs, not keeping them compressed or extended for any length of time. In other words, you'll wear out the springs faster with use than you will with long-term compression...as long as the spring is compressed within it's design limits. Any Glock mag spring will be well within it's compression limits at full magazine capacity.

this is not a universal rule for mags i know for a fact 10/22  hi cap mags dont work like that, and since the  only other firearm i own is an AK i dont have any experiance with other mags.  i am considering getting a pistol but not sure what  just finding info on a couple. was considering the glock 33 , 1911, or sig. thanks for the infor guys
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:05:30 PM EDT
[#12]
As far as breaking in mags goes, with my 1911 I kept one in it, and loaded,  and marked.  And it gave me less problems than the other mags that either stayed empty or got cycled all the time.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:13:08 PM EDT
[#13]
My AK and AR mags work a lot better if I keep them fully loaded for long periods of time. It makes the action of the follower much smoother and lighter, so it doesn't hiccup when feeding the machine.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:36:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:14:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I keep all of my mags fully loaded all the time even have a few generic eagle nickel mags
and never had a problem even with the cheapies its a spring its supposed to compress it if were
going to be a problem it wouldnt be used all in all just look at law enforcment duty weapons they are fully loaded at least 24/5  and military 24/7 365. to shed a better light the springs in the motor of your car/truck endure harsher treatment that what you could do the the ones in your mags and they're ok her  As for your comment about the cars. If we  depended on cars to save our lives against attackers. You wouldn't see so many junkers on the road. J
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top