BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2005 8:15:27 AM EDT
So far, I have found recommendations for:

3.5# Scherer connector
Night Sights
Spring Guide Rod
Plug

Why do I want a Schrer over a Glock connector? Is the 3.5# recommended for non-competition applications? I stuck with the RRA standard FCG for my Ar-15 because the NM/2-stage deals were really only good for competition. They have the potential for light primer strikes (bad for defensive/carry).

Why are the factory sights so bad? I don't like the idea of radioactive material on my firearm, and yes, you can show me all the technical data/test reports that indicate the minute amount of tritium in a glass tube (which blocks the wavelengths) is perfectly safe. I'm exposed to enough crap as-is I don't need more.

Is the plastic rod really that bad?

I'm sold on the plug for keeping the inside of the gun clean.

What other parts do I need?

I'm looking for absolute reliability (SHTF / TEOTWAWKI - i.e. zombie/alien invasion, not match shooting)
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:26:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Trigger pin  (had one broken at the machined cut)
extractor  (broken tip... about one of 20 rounds would not be extracted)
plastic sights (as time goes by the front rounds off and the sight picture is not crisp)

The only failures I have seen other than worn out recoil springs.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:29:15 AM EDT
[#2]
All you really need for a new Glock:

Night Sights  (even YEARS from now when the Tritium fads, you'll still have steel sights)

To maintain it forever, you should have on hand (and this depends on how much you shoot it):

* A small fist full of recoil springs.  Replaced every 5K rounds or so.  (Most folks will never FIRE 5 thousand rounds, so the stock one it comes with will be fine)
* A small fist full of magazines springs.  Replace as needed
* One extractor.  You'll probably never need this if you load your pistol correctly
* A couple of trigger springs.  Again, you'll probably never need these, especially with the new Third Gen Glocks.  I shot a Glock for a little over a year with the trigger spring removed, so if you should break one, you can replace it when you get around to it.
* A replacement set of pins.  Again, you'll probably never need these.  I too have had a broken trigger pin.  Found out when I went to detail strip the pistol (100K rounds through it at this point).  I was halfway across the country teaching at the time and didn't have a spare.  I simply turning the pin 180o degrees, taught one class and took a class.  No problem.  When I got home I replaced it.
* A few extra OEM magazine

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:30:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I'll add:

Steel recoil spring guides are pure sillyness.  The guide is just that, a guide to keep the spring from kinking and make it easy to install.

Steel rods in a Polymer frame can cause damage to the frame.

Just say "No"
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:51:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks! I heard the newer Glocks have metal sights from the factory? What kind of tools do I need to switch them out?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:58:28 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
All you really need for a new Glock:

Night Sights  (even YEARS from now when the Tritium fads, you'll still have steel sights)

To maintain it forever, you should have on hand (and this depends on how much you shoot it):

* A small fist full of recoil springs.  Replaced every 5K rounds or so.  (Most folks will never FIRE 5 thousand rounds, so the stock one it comes with will be fine)
* A small fist full of magazines springs.  Replace as needed
* One extractor.  You'll probably never need this if you load your pistol correctly
* A couple of trigger springs.  Again, you'll probably never need these, especially with the new Third Gen Glocks.  I shot a Glock for a little over a year with the trigger spring removed, so if you should break one, you can replace it when you get around to it.
* A replacement set of pins.  Again, you'll probably never need these.  I too have had a broken trigger pin.  Found out when I went to detail strip the pistol (100K rounds through it at this point).  I was halfway across the country teaching at the time and didn't have a spare.  I simply turning the pin 180o degrees, taught one class and took a class.  No problem.  When I got home I replaced it.
* A few extra OEM magazine

Wow, you put 100K though a glock?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:53:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Im  new to Glocks,just  had mine since this previous fathers day. I've purchased a few extra spare parts so far,eject,extractor and  recoil  spring assembly.
Purchased 17rds mags and 33rd mags, still lookng to buy more parts, like trigger springs and pins.

I've always kept extra parts on hand,just to have peace of mind.

So far havent had to replaced anything,cause I dont shoot all that often.

TG
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:05:26 PM EDT
[#7]

I'm looking for absolute reliability (SHTF / TEOTWAWKI - i.e. zombie/alien invasion, not match shooting)
Unless your SHTF/TEOWTFEVER scenario is totally in the desert, why do you want to plug your pistols drain hole?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:05:34 PM EDT
[#8]
What's the cheapest way of installing quality night sights by myself?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:06:14 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Unless your SHTF/TEOWTFEVER scenario is totally in the desert, why do you want to plug your pistols drain hole?

I thought the hole was there to facilitate easy removal of the NDF mags?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:11:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought the hole was there to facilitate easy removal of the NDF mags?

That is also a channel for drainage from the firing assembly area according to the biggest glock whore in the world/certified glock armorer I used to work with. I've heard him tell at least 4 different customers about it. That guy knew everything about glocks, so I take his word when he says something about them.

in honor of post 1775:

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:13:07 PM EDT
[#11]
So what is the easiest way for me to change the sights myself? If I get more Glocks, I'd like to know how to do it to all them.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:17:03 PM EDT
[#12]
You need (ideally) a sight press for the rear sight. I guess you could just drift it, but that can be ugly if you aren't careful.  The front side is just held in with a pin that you knock out from the inside of the slide.  Most of the better replacement sights for the front attach with a screw that you thread in from the inside of the slide. If you have the right tools swapping the sights out is a 5 minute job if you're taking your time.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:40:36 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
according to the biggest glock whore in the world/certified glock armorer I used to work with.
www.rootsweb.com/~nchyde/SPIRIT.GIF

Must be T.R.Graham, he does know a lot but, far from everything.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:44:18 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
according to the biggest glock whore in the world/certified glock armorer I used to work with.
www.rootsweb.com/~nchyde/SPIRIT.GIF

Nope, not familiar with that name. Should I be?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:54:28 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Nope, not familiar with that name. Should I be?

No, I just thought it might be T.R. as he is just somewhat well known back in that area of the country.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:47:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Might be quite a bit more expensive, but I usually get two of each firearm, then I have either a spare or spare parts.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:48:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Easiest way?  Buy a set of night sights from a shop that can install them for you for free
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:52:03 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Wow, you put 100K though a glock?

I stopped counting last year at over 100K rounds.

I'm told Glock has possession of at least one of two G17s that I've heard have over a MILLION documented rounds a piece.  The one was a rental range pistol from California that was used an average of 200 rounds a day, since like 1986
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:19:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Just leave the gun alone there is nothing to fix.  Tritium sites work great in the dark to bad in the dark all you can see is you sites.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:44:04 PM EDT
[#20]
extra take down lever and spring........ejectors, extractor, guiderod and spring, connector, whole new trigger assembly(which is the way they sell them now), spring that goes on the connector...............all of the little parts times two.

steel sights!!!! extra mag springs

keep shootin that thing!!!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:59:26 AM EDT
[#21]

Hey, he was extremely knowledgeable about Glocks, and showed me a cracked frame as well as a cut away model of Glock.

I need his service again as I tried to drift (punch in) in the night sights on my SIG and it managed to get stuck and lightly damaged  So much for trying WECSOGing...
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:13:46 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Just leave the gun alone there is nothing to fix.  Tritium sites work great in the dark to bad in the dark all you can see is you sites.

I'm with this camp in general.  If you want a gun you can absolutely trust your life with day in and day out for years, buy a stock glock and don't change anything parts-wise.  Just maintain it reasonably well and don't shoot naked lead through it.  

For ultra-reliability / low-maintenance purposes I would also specifically avoid Compact Glocks (the tiniest models like the G26) and Compensated Glocks (mode GxxC - has holes in the top of the slide and barrel).

But I am a fan of night sights (some models come from the factory with Meprolights in them, so it's almost a stock thing anyways).  While they don't really do much for you in pitch black because you can't see the target to line the sights up on, they do work wonders in very dim light (think middle of the night, full moon, outdoors - or a block away from a bright streetlamp in a city).

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:18:05 PM EDT
[#23]
What parts for Glock 17, SHTF/TEOTWAWKI application

2 parts.

Jack and

Shit.

G17's don't need a damned thing but mags full of ammo. They run perfectly right out of the box!

HS1
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:16:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:41:59 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
For ultra-reliability / low-maintenance purposes I would also specifically avoid Compact Glocks (the tiniest models like the G26)

WTF are you talking about with that statement?

My old G26 never fails me and requires no more maintenance than my G17.

HS1
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:11:26 AM EDT
[#26]
You ever seen any Clint Eastwood westerns?  two  guys face to face on the main st,facing one another and  fixed to go at it?

The one with the short barrel takes aim and shoots,but only manages  rounds hitting around the  one  he facing?

Than the guy he facing whips out a longer barrel and shoots his hat off?

Longer is better.

TG
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:34:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Tag-a-roni for later reading
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top