Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2005 5:38:17 AM EDT
Do I need a plug for the hole in the grip of a Glock 17?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:51:15 AM EDT
[#1]
If you're talking about the hole towards the rear of the grip, no. It's a drain hole.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:52:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Need? No, it will not cause any function issues. But some people like the looks of it, or worry about keeping the crud out of the backstrap area.  It boils down to personal preference...
You can't go wrong.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:58:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes.. The original purpose of the hole was get a finger behind the magazine to remove it faster. Glocks started out with non-drop free magazines.  That's why there is a half moon cut out as well. All glocks now have drop free mags. I have yet see an issue with mags not dropping free. The downside to this hole is it's channel  up to your trigger pack. THE MOST IMPORTANT PART. Dirt , debris etc can find it's way into that area. Over time build up can affect your trigger. I've worked on Glocks that have not been properly maintained. the wear on one connector was so bad it wore a certain part off and  it became full auto. Keeping  your trigger housing clean will ensure a longer service life. A Glock is a work horse but there is no need to mistreat it.

J
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:01:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I like the finished look with the plug. As many rds as I have put through this G32 I have yet to get anything noticeable out of the back strap cavity when cleaning it. But it's up to you.  

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:02:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Which plug do you recommend? I was thinking about picking up a pair of the maritime spring cups as well... just for those TEOTWAWKI scenarios.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:46:31 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Which plug do you recommend? I was thinking about picking up a pair of the maritime spring cups as well... just for those TEOTWAWKI scenarios.

I picked up the one in the above pic at Lone Wolf and you can get the cups from them too...
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:46:55 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm partial to the Jentra plugs, I'm using them in all my Glocks... JP-1 for standard frames and JP-2 for the subcompact/G26 sized frame...

lonewolfdist.com/products.asp?prod=96

ETA:  Beat by 24 seconds!  
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:17:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Nice! The Jentra looks like it uses a flex-pin to stay in place. Does the Slug Plug use a threaded bolt and loctite?

How long will the Jentra last?

Will the maritime cups last longer/the same/shorter than the standard spring cups?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:17:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Tag
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:22:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Is there anything else I should get as well?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:15:18 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't care for the "Slug Plug" because it sticks out. Some like it because it helps them with mag changes. It attaches the same way using a "tab" that locks in the lanyard hole. I've had that plug in my G32 plug for 7+yrs now.
I don't have the maritime cups in any of my Glocks but that’s just me. Bullet travel under water is real short so unlike "James.......James Bond" you can't shoot something 50ft away. If you screw up and forget to pull out your HP ammo you could KB the gun because the water will open the HP before it leaves the barrel. I have yet to replace a set of standard cups because they wore out. My '94 G24 still has the original cups(60K+rds). I don't think you could wear out a set of cups. I have seen them replaced just for the "jee wizz" factor.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:39:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Like the Pearsc grip frame insert, it is flush with the bottom of the gun.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:47:02 AM EDT
[#13]
How is the Lone Wolf brand plug? It looks like it sits more flush than the Jentra.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:51:15 AM EDT
[#14]
I've got both, the Jentra & the Lone Wolf, one on my wife's G23 and one on my G19.  Both look the same and have the same fit and function.  IMHO, you can't go wrong with either.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:41:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Does anyone have experience with the Tac Rac plug with the disassembly tool in it?

www.gunaccessories.com/GlockAccessories/ArmorersTool/index.asp
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:51:44 PM EDT
[#16]
The way I see it, the "tool" is just a roll pin punch. I have the set I use for assembling my AR-15... The tool plug combo is rather pricey. I bet you need a tool to remove the ool... and from the looks of it, a tool that can remove that tool would probably work for field stripping the glock.

Plus, I saw a video where a guy field stripped his Glock 21 w/o any tools at all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top