Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/30/2005 11:26:31 PM EDT
At this point I only have experience with my G27 and it's by far my favorite as well as my daily carry!

I'm now considering getting a G22 to keep it company.  The question is GenII vs GenIII frames.  The G27 is GenIII style and I've no problem with it.  I'm not worried about the lack of rail attachment on the GenII so that's not an issue.

Those of you that started on a GenIII, have you tried or switched to GenII?  I know lots of shooters prefer the GenII, but is that because that's where they started and have never given a GenIII a shot?

The refurbs from Summit are sure enticing and the money saved will pay for more Winchester White box practice ammo.  Other than the Pachmeyer grippers on my S&W 65, the G27 was the only other handgun I ever shot with finger grooves.  Prior to that it was all 1911 straight backstrap frames for me.

Those of you who've shot both types of frames, I really appreciate your input on this.  
Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 12:21:57 AM EDT
[#1]
i shoot better with 3rd gen than the 2nd gen. no problem with 3rd gen
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:09:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I've owned both. It is as you say "preference".  I have found that some people with larger hands find the finger grooves uncomfortable. I personally like them.

Get what feels best for you. Also, if you think you're goint to have any interest in attaching a light, you're going to want the frame rails.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:35:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I like the Gen III for light attachment, but HATE the finger grooves, my hands are too big.  That's why I bought a Gen II G17 last week.  I would like to trade my Gen III 17 for a Gen III 22 or 21 though if anyone is interested . . . .
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:52:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the responses.  It appears that folks must stick with what they have.  Only 3 of you have tried both enough to offer an opinion.  

Tastes great...   ...less filling
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:21:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I own all 3 generations. The 1st gen is my favorite but gets slippery when wet. The 2nd gen grip is better but still gets slippery on real hot days when you sweat. The 3rd gen fits my hand just fine and the grip is better even though I don't have much use for the light rail. One advantage to the 3rd gen frames is they are reinforced so if you want to shoot 357SIG out of the G22, all you need is a barrel. If your G27 serial prefix is "DAN" or later you can get a G33 barrel for it as well.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:27:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I prefer the feel of the GenII on my 19, but I HAVE to have a 17 in OD sooo...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top