Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/6/2005 8:41:57 PM EDT
This past weekend I had the opportunity to shoot my buddies Ruger MKII 22LR pistol and had a lot of fun with it.  I notice the Advantage Arms 22LR conversion kits for Glocks and was wondering what kind of experience anyone has with them.  I would be using it on my Glock 17 since they don't have it available for the G36.  I would love to hear any positive or negative feedback regarding the use of these kits.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 12:18:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one and it works.

It feels strange compaired to the regular slide assembly, but it's also much lighter.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 1:17:19 PM EDT
[#2]

I love the AA conversion units, I have one for my G20 and one for my G19s.  I've put many thousands of rounds through them without any sort of problems or malfunctions save for the magazines getting full of crud and needing a soapy bath...

The biggest benefit of the AA kit is you're still using the Glock trigger but firing a much less expensive round.  With the exception of dry firing, there's no other way to get that sort of realistic practice inexpensively with your G17...

ETA, be sure you get enough magazines for the AA unit.  It's so much fun to shoot you'll spend most of your time reloading otherwise...

Link Posted: 7/7/2005 8:23:04 PM EDT
[#3]
AA kits are very good. If you buy it, remember to use the recommended ammo by AA.   Also get the mag loader too, I didn't so it was to my fingers
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 8:47:50 PM EDT
[#4]
They are great! works perfect. tight groups.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 9:14:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Anyone got a link?  Might be a fun training tool to help me get used to this Glock trigger...
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 10:04:33 PM EDT
[#6]
how much those conversions run? for a 17 or 19
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 4:47:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 6:40:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 6:52:38 PM EDT
[#9]
My brother has an Advantage Arms conversion for his  Glock 17.  He got a threaded barrel and uses his Gem-Tech can on it.  

It's great fun to shoot with and without the can.  

It's amazing how light it is even with the can.  

I'm thinking of getting a conversion for my Glock 17 too.  

Colt_SBR  

Link Posted: 7/10/2005 5:12:24 AM EDT
[#10]
I've had one for a couple of years and it's a lot of fun. Picky on ammo, but runs fine with ammo it likes. I'm real tempted to get a threaded barrel and AAC pilot or Gemtech outback for it. Another thing I use it for is shooting the no gunpowder Colibri rounds through it in my basement. About as loud as a handclap. Great for fast action drills and trigger control.
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 6:47:44 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm waiting for the conversion for the 36.
Apparently it wont be out anytime soon though.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 10:15:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 10:33:40 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
how much those conversions run? for a 17 or 19

I've got them for $225.  We are currently out of stock.  Should have some more instock soon.

30 round mags???????
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 7:54:34 AM EDT
[#14]
I like my AA conversion, but does anyone know why they don't make hi-caps?
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 1:17:28 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I like my AA conversion, but does anyone know why they don't make hi-caps?

www.advantagearms.com/faqs.php

Are you going to offer High Cap Magazines if the AWB sunsets this September?

NO. High cap magazines will still be illegal to manufacture or sell in California, which is where our factory is located.

Link Posted: 7/12/2005 7:18:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Has anyone tried the Ciener kit?  I'd really like to hear from someone who's fired a few rounds through both; I'm planning on picking up a 17 in the next few days, and I'm planning on getting one of the .22LR conversion kits, but I'm still trying to find out what people like/don't like about the different kits.

Are there any popular kits other than the Advantage Arms or the Jonathan Ciener?
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 2:53:16 PM EDT
[#17]
That seems like a stupid reason.  Just make them somewhere else.
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 9:40:29 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:17:39 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

It isn't as easy as you guys make it out to be.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:30:57 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

to make hi-cap magazines?  what do you think is the problem?  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:32:39 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Has anyone tried the Ciener kit?  I'd really like to hear from someone who's fired a few rounds through both; I'm planning on picking up a 17 in the next few days, and I'm planning on getting one of the .22LR conversion kits, but I'm still trying to find out what people like/don't like about the different kits.

Are there any popular kits other than the Advantage Arms or the Jonathan Ciener?

Ceiner sucks.  Call them with some questions, they will let you know in a few minutes of conversation.

I have the Advantage Arms .22 on a 2nd gen Glock 17 frame and have shot it quite extensively.  The directions say "no Federals".  They are right.  It loves the green box Remington, CCI Mini Mags and Velocitors.  Very accurate piece with the 3.5 lb trigger.  Hard to shoot with the factory trigger, although that trigger seems to work fine for me with the bigger calibers.

The Ruger Mark II is a great choice too.

Both of these happen to be in my truck, as I speak, and will be at the range  tonight.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:43:50 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

to make hi-cap magazines?  what do you think is the problem?  

CALIFORNIA is the problem

Packing up the tooling to make the mags out of state obviously is not cost effective or they would.  Now I know of two suppressor mgf. in CA who are able to make their products in CA and sell only outside of CA but I don't know if it falls under the same regs.  

So.....I suppose if you want to tool up and make them yourself since it's easy, I'll buy your first 100 mags off the line, but somehow I don't think that'll happen

Hell, could you make some 20 & 32 round Colt 9mm mags while you are at it? Promag isn't cutting it
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:18:02 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
So.....I suppose if you want to tool up and make them yourself since it's easy

Is it really a matter of being easy or difficult?  I mean, 99% of the guns out there seem to have magazines being made for them.  So it's not brain surgery.  And if it's just a matter of making them a couple hundred miles away, then I don't see the big deal there either.  Outsource.  Or maybe I'm missing something.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:59:51 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
So.....I suppose if you want to tool up and make them yourself since it's easy

Is it really a matter of being easy or difficult?  I mean, 99% of the guns out there seem to have magazines being made for them.  So it's not brain surgery.  And if it's just a matter of making them a couple hundred miles away, then I don't see the big deal there either.  Outsource.  Or maybe I'm missing something.

One clear cut example of a home grown, NOT as EASY, as you are thinking operation.

Colt 9mm AR mags.... These things were fetching $100 before the hi-cap ban went away, now they are getting $50 for the same mags marked LE.  There is only one other company that is making them and they are made out of plastic, function is SO SO and they are not favored by most users at all.....but are dirt cheap at $15.

I personally don't know what has to be done, but common sense tells me that if it was that easy, and profitable, they would be doing it already.

just my 2c

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:01:44 PM EDT
[#25]
I wonder if it's a matter of not enough demand?  maybe there aren't enough advantage arms kits floating around for someone to start up hi-cap mag production and have it make $$ sense.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:57:06 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I wonder if it's a matter of not enough demand?  maybe there aren't enough advantage arms kits floating around for someone to start up hi-cap mag production and have it make $$ sense.

Nah, Advantage Arms aint got shit on Colt "style" 9mm mags.  The 1st problem with the Colt mags is Colt doesn't give 2 rats asses about the Civi market so they won't make more for "us", only filter them through the LE channels. 2nd must be that it is horribly expensive to tool up just to make one specific magazine made of quality components that is worth a damn.

Shit sucks, but you know what they say, "You got to pay to play"
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:00:41 PM EDT
[#27]
My first post so go easy guys.

The only complaint that I have with the AA kit is that the mags always seem to be empty.

The AA kit excels to all others because:

The slide locks open on the last round and the mags drop free.

The mags are about $20 and are regularly available. (Glock Meister is actually cheaper than buying from them direct from AA.) Ciener mags are in the $30 - $40 range. I did not even want to pay that for High Cap 9mm mags during the ban!

The sight dovetails are the same spec as OEM so you can use any Glock sights and more importantly install them yourself. I have night sights on mine similar to the ones on my carry gun. The same sight picture on both slides is anther thing that scores high points with me.

As for reliability, it’s like any other 22, find ammo it likes and buy a pallet of it. All that I can say is keep the feed ramp and extractor clean and lube as you would your center fire Glock slide and she will run.

I like the Ruger 22 pistols but being left handed all of the controls are on the wrong side for me. This is true for many other 22 pistols. A conversion kit makes sense for southpaws. No new controls to learn and I can practice with the kit from the holster (A holster that I already own and don’t have made custom because I’m left handed)

As for the high cap mags for this kit, I can’t remember where I saw the thread. I believe it was on Glock Talk? The reason for only 10 round pistol mags is the 22s have a rim. Once you get to a certain number of rounds in the mag you will need to put a curve in the mag in order to make it feed reliably. Just look at all of the 10/22 +10 round mags that are out there. I think even Butler Creek’s 10 round single stack mags have a bend in them?

I hope that answers your questions or possibly I made you more confused.

Chris Q
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:39:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Great first post and thank you for bringing up the point I completely spaced off, the RIM.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:37:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Has anyone use it with a Glock 30?
Any malfunctions or other problems with it?

The only down side of the 30 kit is that they do not have the extended barrel so I can attach a can in the future.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:02:39 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
My first post so go easy guys.

The only complaint that I have with the AA kit is that the mags always seem to be empty.

The AA kit excels to all others because:

The slide locks open on the last round and the mags drop free.

The mags are about $20 and are regularly available. (Glock Meister is actually cheaper than buying from them direct from AA.) Ciener mags are in the $30 - $40 range. I did not even want to pay that for High Cap 9mm mags during the ban!

The sight dovetails are the same spec as OEM so you can use any Glock sights and more importantly install them yourself. I have night sights on mine similar to the ones on my carry gun. The same sight picture on both slides is anther thing that scores high points with me.

As for reliability, it’s like any other 22, find ammo it likes and buy a pallet of it. All that I can say is keep the feed ramp and extractor clean and lube as you would your center fire Glock slide and she will run.

I like the Ruger 22 pistols but being left handed all of the controls are on the wrong side for me. This is true for many other 22 pistols. A conversion kit makes sense for southpaws. No new controls to learn and I can practice with the kit from the holster (A holster that I already own and don’t have made custom because I’m left handed)

As for the high cap mags for this kit, I can’t remember where I saw the thread. I believe it was on Glock Talk? The reason for only 10 round pistol mags is the 22s have a rim. Once you get to a certain number of rounds in the mag you will need to put a curve in the mag in order to make it feed reliably. Just look at all of the 10/22 +10 round mags that are out there. I think even Butler Creek’s 10 round single stack mags have a bend in them?

Chris Q

Quite possibly one of the best 1st posts I've ever read on this site.  This is a perfect example of why someone's post count has no correlation to knowledge of quality of information.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 12:38:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Ok I took my AA kit for the first time to the range. For ammo, does it has to be over 40gr? I had some CCI Mini Mag 36gr and some Rem Golden Bullets (also 36gr) that I use for my AR and it gave me awful results.

I got so pissed that I was going to trow away the kit but I will give it a chance. I had a lot of FTF(the ammo would get stuck between the feed ramp and mag, stovepipes, the slide didn't close all the way or lock after the last shot on some occasions.

Can anyone tell me if this is just because of low gr ammo or did I just get a lemon? I am going to test it next week with the ammo recommended (40gr) and if it works, good. If it doesn't, then it is gone.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:48:46 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Ok I took my AA kit for the first time to the range. For ammo, does it has to be over 40gr? I had some CCI Mini Mag 36gr and some Rem Golden Bullets (also 36gr) that I use for my AR and it gave me awful results.

I got so pissed that I was going to trow away the kit but I will give it a chance. I had a lot of FTF(the ammo would get stuck between the feed ramp and mag, stovepipes, the slide didn't close all the way or lock after the last shot on some occasions.

Can anyone tell me if this is just because of low gr ammo or did I just get a lemon? I am going to test it next week with the ammo recommended (40gr) and if it works, good. If it doesn't, then it is gone.

It's not even broken in yet.   I've got two of them.  I have one for a glock 19ccw gun.  and bought one for my duty gun. g-22  I can't get the 19 kit to screw up.  but it's got an easy 20k rounds through it.  

The one for the 22 jams occasionally. but it's only got 1K trough it.  
Mine like the golden bullets that come in the little carton.

They are picky regarding ammo.  There is actually a reason why they recommend the ammo that they do.

Re: High Caps.   Being in LE I was going to see if they  made LE mags and was told the reason that they didn't have them is because the company was in Calif.   I mentioned to the gentleman that they should have someone outside of Cali make the mags or open up a shop in a more gun friendly state.   I don't think it sat well.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:43:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:56:52 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's not even broken in yet.   I've got two of them.  I have one for a glock 19ccw gun.  and bought one for my duty gun. g-22  I can't get the 19 kit to screw up.  but it's got an easy 20k rounds through it.  

The one for the 22 jams occasionally. but it's only got 1K trough it.  
Mine like the golden bullets that come in the little carton.

They are picky regarding ammo.  There is actually a reason why they recommend the ammo that they do.

Re: High Caps.   Being in LE I was going to see if they  made LE mags and was told the reason that they didn't have them is because the company was in Calif.   I mentioned to the gentleman that they should have someone outside of Cali make the mags or open up a shop in a more gun friendly state.   I don't think it sat well.  

Be sure it is lubed too!  Use light oil, such as CLP or Militec, or Rem-oil.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:34:14 AM EDT
[#35]
If you look carefully at the AA mag, it's not exactly single stacking the rounds.  the back of the rounds pushed over like a double stack, Only the front of the round is lined up single.

Quoted:

Chris Q

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:04:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Do they make a kit for the G26?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:39:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:37:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top