Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 34
Posted: 11/21/2017 9:54:47 PM EDT
So I am a lover of all things Glock.  Seeing as how I own 4, the 19's are among my favs of all time.

What's strange for whatever set of reasons, is why the Rangers, SEALs, and now Marsoc, have not only gone to Glocks, but the 19.

When there are bigger more "combat ready" Glocks made, I wonder why the decision?
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 2:55:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By trobertson5-0:

Ahem......... Its 180grain HSTs. @NTXGlocker
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/107119/IMG_0427-397338.JPG
View Quote
Thanks again for the pic. I suspected they were out there even though their not on the public
list of DOD ammo. No telling when it was last updated.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 4:32:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Augee:
Contrary to popular belief, USSOCOM units cannot simply "buy/carry whatever they want" just because they want it.

While better resourced than some conventional ground combat units, they do not have unlimited budgets and unlimited latitude in purchasing and procurement, and are actually subject to quite a bit of oversight from various directions. Unsurprisingly, the bigger the purchase, the more scrutiny applied.

In order to procure something "out of the norm," they need to be able to define an operational need beyond what currently available equipment offers them.

When it comes to Glocks, it is/was much easier to argue for the need for a more concealable pistol for low/lower visibility operations than to try to justify the purchase of more full sized pistols. The G19 fulfills that requirement, while still being able to be used as a practical service pistol. Nowadays, they've become all but de facto "standard," and it is less of an issue.

Meanwhile, for certain specialty roles/purposes, smaller numbers of full sized G17s and G22s are also in service, some of which are suppressed, along with even more limited numbers of G34s.

Other organizations with some more latitude have also used 35s (along with the other models mentioned), and even some 37s, among others.

~Augee
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 5:25:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By trobertson5-0:
Ahem......... Its 180grain HSTs. @NTXGlocker
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/107119/IMG_0427-397338.JPG
View Quote
@trobertson5-0

According to NSN 1305-01-548-6279 it's actually 155gr HST
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 9:48:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Heard a story (not sure bout the authenticity) that glock 19s were given to Iraq police. They would naturally end up in the weapons raids along with other weapons the enemy was using and that our guys would take them and use them.
Once again not sure how true that is.  But I have heard it
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 10:33:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By 20229mm:
Heard a story (not sure bout the authenticity) that glock 19s were given to Iraq police. They would naturally end up in the weapons raids along with other weapons the enemy was using and that our guys would take them and use them.
View Quote
That is true

Contractors also obtained G19s from insurgents in this manner.

Anything given to Iraq eventually ends up in enemy hands.   Look at the HMMWVs that are now used by ISIS
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 10:37:49 PM EDT
[#6]
It was my understanding that the issued .40S&W round for those FDE Glock 22 magazines was the Federal 165gr EFMJ round..
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 10:48:48 PM EDT
[#7]
The individuals within these units could not even give you the answer (most, anyhow). Our best guess is because it's a backup weapon, might as well save a bit of weight.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 9:40:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By TheMercenary:

@trobertson5-0

According to NSN 1305-01-548-6279 it's actually 155gr HST
View Quote
Damned if it's not...... I guess I was guilty of assumption . The boxes it comes in are not marked with bullet weight.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 9:43:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Ahab:
It was my understanding that the issued .40S&W round for those FDE Glock 22 magazines was the Federal 165gr EFMJ round..
https://gun.deals/sites/default/files/sg40f2nds.jpg
View Quote
Never seen a single round of that in military use. Not that it's impossible.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 1:43:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 10:56:46 AM EDT
[#11]
The Iraqis were also showing up for duty without their 19’s because they were leaving them at home with their wives for defense use.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 12:35:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 8:28:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Does anyone know if any internal modifications are being done to these glocks?  Maritime spring cups?  3.5# disconnector? Night sights? Anything else potentially more interesting?
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 8:33:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Smooth_Oper8or:
Does anyone know if any internal modifications are being done to these glocks?  Maritime spring cups?  3.5# disconnector? Night sights? Anything else potentially more interesting?
View Quote
Mine had night sights.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 12:16:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:
Mine had night sights.
View Quote
Mine had night sights also (they were fairly dim) but appeared to be stock otherwise. I didn’t disassemble the slide or anything, just field stripped it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 2:49:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#16]
Originally Posted By Smooth_Oper8or:
View Quote
5.5 lb connector and Night Sights are standard.  No Maritime spring cups.  Units have purchased other variants and models to use but the SOCOM standard is a G19 Gen 3 with night sights and 5.5lb trigger.  If someone turns in a gun with non authorized mods then I'm required put it back to stock.  If servicing one that a guy just brought in, I'll leave it on as long as the gun works.  Turn in time back to stock however.

CD

Update: see page 2
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 3:10:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By cone256:

I do believe FPS has Glocks.  I also believe some of the AMO guys in CBP have 19's or at least they look like 19's when I pass them in the hallway.  ICE also has multiple handguns to choose from not just the 229, Glocks are on the list
View Quote
Forgot about AMO and their rusty HKs.

The HSI guys I see are never armed... LOL
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 8:30:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By TAPTAP556:

Any idea what suppressors are used on those .40 cal glocks? I’ve never been able to track down that answer.
View Quote
Clue here is ACC

CD
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 9:38:40 AM EDT
[#19]
View Quote
===
Yes sir, that is exceedingly true. Our squad located two caches in fact with brand damn new G19's with night sights. Had arabic marks stamped on them too along with the normal identifier markings. We weren't allowed to use them though, they just went in the pile of captured weapons we'd have EOD come blow up every month.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 9:46:05 AM EDT
[#20]
I was CATM in Kirkuk in 05/06. Army SF unit was had a compound near us and they'd bring over weapons they needed parts for or help fixing. Pretty cool guys. They carried the M9 with a brigadier slide and a few G19s. One fella mentioned it was because its easier to conceal vs the M9. Year before that in Balad we found G19 in weapon caches that were being issued to the Iraqi NG and Police. They'd pawn that stuff in a heart beat. including their uniforms.  Intel theorized the pawn shops were actual supply points for AIF/AAF which would explain the common reports of "An Iraqi National Guardsman opened fire on a convoy of soldiers this morning..."

wish I would have taken more pictures back then
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 9:55:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:
Glocks I've seen and service are
G17 (few Gen 4s, most Gen 3s)
G19 Gen 3 (most common)
G19 Gen 3 MOS
G26
G22
G23

9mm ammo is either M882 Ball or Federal HST.  Only .40 I've seen is a 180gr FMJ, white box by someone I've never heard before (don't think I wrote it down or took a pic).  Haven't seen any of the new Win 9mm JHP for the M17/18 yet.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/IMG_2268.JPG
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/IMG_45881.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32677/IMG_4571_rz-394208.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32677/IMG_4572_rz-394209.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32677/IMG_4622_rz-394214.JPG
However I've been known to turn in my G19 for a M1911A1 if given the choice!
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/1911_G19_c.jpg

CD
View Quote
Good pics cd
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 3:18:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Glock 19 is a phenomenal all purpose firearm. I use the G23 which the same frame but chambered in .40, as I prefer the stronger punch of the .40cal round. My department has looked into switching to 9mm but it doesn’t do as well going through barriers and all.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 4:22:36 PM EDT
[#23]
I ran across the USMC TM for the G19M the other day.  There was an SL-3, an operator, and a maintenance manual.  They must have bought off of the FBI contract I guess.

G19M NSN 1005-01-660-0803.

Link Posted: 12/27/2017 6:03:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By pokey074:
Interesting that they would be using any .40’s.
View Quote
When we were attached to a certain .gov agency (or vice versa) we were issued G22s and 180gr HST for compatibility.
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 12:57:06 AM EDT
[#25]
The RTF2 guns started out as Glock 22s and Glock 23s. IMO the RTF2 texture is one of the best textures I have ever used on any pistol. There were a few limited run guns that I have seen that were made for certain units that Glock has never released to the public. There was an FDE Glock 30 in RTF2 texture as well as a Glock 26 RTF2 frame made. My understanding is they were being tested for a certain elite air unit. The G30 and G26 were preferred because of their small footprint. I could never get a straight answer from my friend who has an inside track on these things but it seems as if the unit was the Flight Concepts Division. It is intresting to me that companies will make things just for a certain unit and the public doesn't know much about it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 1:15:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Wow this turned out to be an awesome thread. Thanks for sharing CD and others.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 2:40:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#27]
I think these are both Glocks....

Link Posted: 12/31/2017 12:58:55 AM EDT
[#28]
This is cool stuff. There is also .40 ball ammo in the Coast Guard inventory that has an NSN as well.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 5:08:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TAPTAP556] [#29]

Clue here is ACC
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/IMG_22714.JPG

CD
View Quote
Very cool! Thanks.

I read somewhere else that they were using AAC cans. Very interesting. Wonder which model... I’ve never seen pics of the mil .40 cal guns with cans on them and most companies seem to make 9mm or .45 cans, not .40.

Regarding the trigger connectors, have you come across any of the super secret “minus dot” connectors?  I can confirm they exist as I previously called glock but was told “direct Military sales only” when I demanded that they let me buy one .

From what I understand they are a 3.5 lbs pull weight and are marked on the connector with a “-.“

I believe they are for use in gen 4 guns.

ETA: Old thread

https://www.ar15.com/forums/handguns/Military_Dot_Connector/13-116242/?

According to a subsequent post on pistol forum by a member there, these “minus dot” connectors have given the end users enough trouble that they discontinued use.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 5:32:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By TAPTAP556:

Very cool! Thanks.

I read somewhere else that they were using AAC cans. Very interesting. Wonder which model... I’ve never seen pics of the mil .40 cal guns with cans on them and most companies seem to make 9mm or .45 cans, not .40.

Regarding the trigger connectors, have you come across any of the super secret “minus dot” connectors?  I can confirm they exist as I previously called glock but was told “direct Military sales only” when I demanded that they let me buy one .

From what I understand they are a 3.5 lbs pull weight and are marked on the connector with a “-.“

I believe they are for use in gen 4 guns.

ETA: Old thread

https://www.ar15.com/forums/handguns/Military_Dot_Connector/13-116242/?

According to a subsequent post on pistol forum by a member there, these “minus dot” connectors have given the end users enough trouble that they discontinued use.
View Quote
Have heard of the "-." connectors but never seen any.  Its either standard or "+".  I remove the "+" and replace with standard.

CD
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 12:47:29 PM EDT
[#31]

Have heard of the "-." connectors but never seen any.  Its either standard or "+".  I remove the "+" and replace with standard.

CD
View Quote
@CD, you are a real asset to us and this site.  No matter the thread, your posts are always welcome, and informative.   Thank you for being of help always.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 10:51:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Another quick thanks to Combat_Diver for firsthand info.

Happy New Year, partner.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 12:56:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By TheMercenary:
The Gen3 MOS is very interesting...

Curious why they chose the Gen3 over the Gen4?  Parts compatibility?
View Quote
Someone made the comment, I believe in a comment about the SEALs transitioning to G19, that the double recoil spring in the Gen 4 isn’t as sand tolerant as the single flat spring in the 3.  Don’t know how true it is, but I can see the thought behind it
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 1:26:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 2:49:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By hendrkj:

Someone made the comment, I believe in a comment about the SEALs transitioning to G19, that the double recoil spring in the Gen 4 isn’t as sand tolerant as the single flat spring in the 3.  Don’t know how true it is, but I can see the thought behind it
View Quote
Been over a year since I've worked on any SEAL guns but they were Gen 3s.  Gen 3s NOT Gen 4s are what SOCOM is buying.  However, units do purchase Gen 4s then wonder why I don't have the parts for them.

CD
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 2:49:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Anyone got any pictures of Delta's FDE G22 in the wild?
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 3:32:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Smooth_Oper8or] [#37]
Originally Posted By BeanBrisket:
Anyone got any pictures of Delta's FDE G22 in the wild?
View Quote
Not sure if these are 22s or 17s, and they aren’t FDE, but they are pics of Delta running Glocks with the ALG Defense flared magwells, and what looks to be Tarran Tactical Inovations mag extensions.

Link Posted: 1/2/2018 4:10:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought it was just the mags that were supposedly FDE.  I don't know if I recall hearing the actual G22's were FDE.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 1:58:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Would anybody know if the new guns being purchased are plain jane Gen 3s mostly, or are all of the new ones the MOS models?

Are there any differences between the civi gen 3s and the military ones (assuming not the unobtainable gen 3 mos)?
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 5:00:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By henryfrank:
Would anybody know if the new guns being purchased are plain jane Gen 3s mostly, or are all of the new ones the MOS models?

Are there any differences between the civi gen 3s and the military ones (assuming not the unobtainable gen 3 mos)?
View Quote
Only difference is the UID label on G19 Gen 3s (not including the Gen 3 MOSs)

CD
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 5:19:38 AM EDT
[#41]
A friend had a G26 in Africa and Germany.

Also, CAG did at one time use EFMJs although I don’t know if t was general or specialty.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 5:42:23 AM EDT
[#42]
G17s not program of record.  G19 and G26 funded.

Attachment Attached File

CD
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 7:35:10 AM EDT
[#43]
OST
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 7:40:26 AM EDT
[#44]
I can speak to this since I train with a number of SOCOM folks, etc.

Simply put, for an all purpose, reliable, dependable "combat ready" handgun, the Glock 19 fits the bill perfectly. It is compact enough to cut down on weight, easy to use and, literally, "operate" with and has plenty of round on board. It keeps running at high altitude, in dusty environments, in water (salt or fresh), etc.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 9:18:04 AM EDT
[#45]

Only difference is the UID label on G19 Gen 3s (not including the Gen 3 MOSs)

CD
View Quote
Thanks so much CD. Awesome info and super appreciated as always.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 8:59:04 PM EDT
[#46]
So I know this is probably going to be a really stupid question but I hear that the G19's concealability is a big plus to a lot of these SF types. Why?

Are there some Ops that are done in plain clothes? Sure, I'm sure, but I guess when I think Special Forces I still think of a full kitted out solider, and I don't know why concealability, of all things, would be important.

Also a big thanks to CD for the pics and info, this is a very neat thread!
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 10:54:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RangerJoe11] [#47]
Originally Posted By GatMo:
So I know this is probably going to be a really stupid question but I hear that the G19's concealability is a big plus to a lot of these SF types. Why?

Are there some Ops that are done in plain clothes? Sure, I'm sure, but I guess when I think Special Forces I still think of a full kitted out solider, and I don't know why concealability, of all things, would be important.

Also a big thanks to CD for the pics and info, this is a very neat thread!
View Quote
As you mentioned, Army SF and others go places and do things in regular clothes where open carrying a firearm would be frowned upon or illegal. Not all deployments are “combat.”  For instance, Army SF (I’m sure others do as well) do training exchanges with foreign allies. Some countries don’t allow for concealed carry or carrying a weapon outside of a military base/training area but many do. For those that do, It’s not practical (for many reasons) to walk around downtown, while out for dinner/site seeing in uniform with a rifle/pistol. The G19 is the perfect option for a pistol that fits the bill for multiple missions.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 11:19:10 AM EDT
[#48]
View Quote
The iraqi police were given a huge amount of Gen 3 G19s early on. Lots of them ended up being stolen or sold... Like another poster said they commonly came up in raids or searches. A squad from my platoon was on patrol when they passed by a car and clearly saw 2 glock pistol cases on the rear passenger seat, so they broke the windows and took them. Intel confirmed they were pistols provided to the IPs, and we kept them. There were no special markings they looked just like glocks you buy in the US. The G19s went to my squad which was tasked for overwatch sniper missions as a backup to the M24 or M14. Someone's spouse sent over a couple holsters and spare mags. Never really used them but they were preferred over the M9s we had due to lighter weight. Not SF or anything this was infantry line platoon with 11b4s.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 11:36:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By RangerJoe11:

As you mentioned, Army SF and others go places and do things in regular clothes where open carrying a firearm would be frowned upon or illegal. Not all deployments are “combat.”  For instance, Army SF (I’m sure others do as well) do training exchanges with foreign allies. Some countries don’t allow for concealed carry or carrying a weapon outside of a military base/training area but many do. For those that do, It’s not practical (for many reasons) to walk around downtown, while out for dinner/site seeing in uniform with a rifle/pistol. The G19 is the perfect option for a pistol that fits the bill for multiple missions.
View Quote
I know guys who have carried in nice civilian areas where you wouldn’t think it’s legal. They told me their orders to be armed were consistent with the SOFA.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 5:53:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:

I know guys who have carried in nice civilian areas where you wouldn’t think it’s legal. They told me their orders to be armed were consistent with the SOFA.
View Quote
Yeah, in some countries it depends on who you are working for/attached to. From my experience it greatly depends on if you can successfully lobby the CoM to allow it. Some places it was allowed until people did stupid shit and the CoM put the kilbosh on it to save face and appease the HN.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 34
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top