Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2017 10:06:17 PM EDT
With the new gen 5 coming out I know a new Glock 19 is in my future. I'd like to wait for the gen 5 MOS as I've been wanting to try and RMR and it's a good excuse for a new gun.

If I decide I don't like the RMR and want to just rock the cover plate, is there any downside to the MOS pistols vs the non MOS guns (other than being more $$)?

The only plausible one I could think of is moisture and rust underneath the plate, but then again it's a Glock!
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:43:15 PM EDT
[#1]
No downside. Some will suggest milling the slide of a standard 19, which is also a good option.

I really like my MOS. Although the RMR stays on ally the time.

If I were to make an educated guess, a next generation MOS would be a ways off.

And because this thread needs pics. I literally just posted this.

Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:15:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the MOS route also since it gives you more options for optics also.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:00:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I've had my 19 MOS for about 3 months now. It's my first new glock in about 9 years. I've been shooting it a lot and really like the grip texture of the gen 4 compared to my gen 3's. I haven't put a red dot on it yet because I keep buying other crap. I've been carrying it and rust has not been an issue under the cover plate.  I did replace the trigger with a Gen 4 17 trigger because I personally don't like the serrations on the 19 trigger.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:49:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Here's one take on the MOS guns from someone that's shot a lot of RDS equipped pistols.  He does however run a business that mills slides for RDS, so there may be some bias:

Gabe Suarez on the Problems with the MOS Pistols
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:54:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
He does however run a business that mills slides for RDS, so there may be some bias:

Gabe Suarez on the Problems with the MOS Pistols
View Quote
Some bias? Haha.

No downside to MOS versions vs. milling besides the small gap between the front of the RMR housing to the slide. I don't give a damn how it looks if it runs.. and run it does.

Once it's milled there's no going back.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:11:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Some bias? Haha.

No downside to MOS versions vs. milling besides the small gap between the front of the RMR housing to the slide. I don't give a damn how it looks if it runs.. and run it does.

Once it's milled there's no going back.
View Quote
I disagree that there aren't ANY downsides to the MOS.  When your slide is properly milled for a specific optic, the RDS sits in a tight pocket that prevents fore/aft movement.  On the MOS, the screws and small recoil lugs are the only things holding the sight in place under recoil.  The milled slide also allows the optic to sit lower which is especially important if you're running something like a Deltapoint Pro which is already tall.

Differences in Pictures
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 2:36:06 PM EDT
[#7]
The is one difference that is mechanical/technical, and not really disputable.  The MOS system has the rear dovetail sight cut further to the rear than the non-MOS.  This will preclude the use of many styles of aftermarket rear sights.

I would argue that for most makes of guns, this would be less of an issue due to the fact that a large number of Glocks ship with plastic sights, and replacing these Glock Factory sights is very common.  Even folks who advocate/subscribe to leaving factory guns stock, will usually suggest replacing the Glock plastic sights.

I do have a 41 MOS that I love.

Craig
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:40:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 4:14:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The is one difference that is mechanical/technical, and not really disputable.  The MOS system has the rear dovetail sight cut further to the rear than the non-MOS.  This will preclude the use of many styles of aftermarket rear sights.

I would argue that for most makes of guns, this would be less of an issue due to the fact that a large number of Glocks ship with plastic sights, and replacing these Glock Factory sights is very common.  Even folks who advocate/subscribe to leaving factory guns stock, will usually suggest replacing the Glock plastic sights.

I do have a 41 MOS that I love.

Craig
View Quote
Interesting. Any issue with trijicon HDs?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 4:30:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Interesting. Any issue with trijicon HDs?
View Quote
Trijicon HDs will hang off the back. If you like fiber optic sights Dawson makes fiber optics (either 3 dot or blacked rear) that are standard height MOS sights. Normal height but don't hang off the rear.

That's how I run my G34 MOS for USPSA Production. Eventually if I decide to shoot carry optics I can simply leave the lower height sights on and not cowitness them  with the red dot (it's competetion not self defense so if the optic goes tits up it's not life or death) or I can simply install Cowitness height sights.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 4:35:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Trijicon HDs will hang off the back. If you like fiber optic sights Dawson makes fiber optics (either 3 dot or blacked rear) that are standard height MOS sights. Normal height but don't hang off the rear.

That's how I run my G34 MOS for USPSA Production. Eventually if I decide to shoot carry optics I can simply leave the lower height sights on and not cowitness them  with the red dot (it's competetion not self defense so if the optic goes tits up it's not life or death) or I can simply install Cowitness height sights.
View Quote
Damn, trijicon HDs are my preferred carry sights.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:08:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
No downside. Some will suggest milling the slide of a standard 19, which is also a good option.

I really like my MOS. Although the RMR stays on ally the time.

If I were to make an educated guess, a next generation MOS would be a ways off.

And because this thread needs pics. I literally just posted this.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/83570/IMG_1857_JPG-283161.jpg
View Quote
Yep need more pics

Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:59:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yep need more pics

http://a67.tinypic.com/1fwrc5.jpg
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:32:35 PM EDT
[#14]
i havent had an issue with mine, it was easy and i like to know i have options down the road.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:21:41 PM EDT
[#15]
One 'issue' with the MOS vs a specifically milled slide is that there's simply nowhere near as much material for the screws to grab onto.  Make sure you keep some loctite handy, as the screws get loose
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:07:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Attachment Attached File

Red dot is the only thing I can't shoot with my 55 year old eyes.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:31:25 AM EDT
[#17]
haven't people had issues with the mounting screws? aren't they too small for certain optics with the glock mounting plate?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:23:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:33:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
haven't people had issues with the mounting screws? aren't they too small for certain optics with the glock mounting plate?
View Quote
Yeah, you really need certain screws
http://www.battlewerx.com/replacement-screw-kit-for-glock-mos-trijicon-rmr/

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3.php?pid=AC32064
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top