Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2005 11:03:35 PM EDT
I was at a Public range last weekend.  I was there mainly to pick up any and all reusable brass off the ground.  Second was to shoot my Glock with some Wolf Ammo.
After I put up my target I started to shoot my Glock One round at a time.  No magazine, just put one round in the pistol, let the slide go forward and squeeze off a shot.  I’ve done this many times in the past.
But there was this guy who said that doing this was dangerous.  I think he said something about the pistol exploding or some such.  He wasn’t talking about ND at all.  Just the pistol exploding.
Now I’ve been shooting my Glock for almost six years now and I haven’t heard anything like this before.
Any suggestions on how much faith I should put into it?

PS: I collected over 1,500 empty brass casings.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 11:13:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I've read that it can damage the extractor.  It wasn’t designed to open up as far as what is needed to go over the lip of the cartridge.

The exploding part sounds like BS.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 11:13:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't think that guy has any idea what he's talking about. Only thing loading like that will do is cause quick wear on your extractor due to it having to jump over the catridge rim when you let the slide go foward.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 11:16:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I've read that it can damage the extractor.  It wasn’t designed to open up as far as what is needed to go over the lip of the cartridge.

The exploding part sounds like BS.

Then how does it chamber a fresh round from a new magazine?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 11:22:30 PM EDT
[#4]
When a round is chambered from the magazine the round is pushed foward by the breechface and slides up under the extractor lip.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 11:22:42 PM EDT
[#5]
The cartridge rim slides up the bolt face under the extractor.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 11:26:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 11:34:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Then how does it chamber a fresh round from a new magazine?

The same as it does from an old magazine.

I am only being a smartass because the question was already answered.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 11:35:22 PM EDT
[#8]
oops.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 11:52:48 PM EDT
[#9]
If the extractor does not go over the lip of the cartrige but pushes it into the breach, can the gun be fired out of battery? still new to glocks but I would think not.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 11:59:30 PM EDT
[#10]
If the rim of the cartridge isn't under the extractor then I doubt the firing pin could hit the primer.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 12:00:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Bunch of BS!
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:36:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I do this quite often, never have had a problem. I mean it's how I get my +1 in the chamber.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:40:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:40:44 PM EDT
[#14]
You should not load a round into the gun that way for the reasons that were already stated.  It is very hard on the extractor.  With a round already in the chamber you are forcing the extractor over the rim of the cartridge with you let the slide close.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:52:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
You should not load a round into the gun that way for the reasons that were already stated.  It is very hard on the extractor.

+1. No magazine and freehand loading your rounds? Who taught you how to shoot like that?

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:38:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:50:27 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You should not load a round into the gun that way for the reasons that were already stated.  It is very hard on the extractor.  With a round already in the chamber you are forcing the extractor over the rim of the cartridge with you let the slide close.

I was in an informal class once where the instructor set up a drill where you had a pocket full of ammo, and a pistol with an empty magazine.  He taught us to hold 4-5 rounds, drop one round into the open action, chamber and fire at various targets.  I still practice this drill on occasion.
One person there had a 1911 and asked if it could hurt his extractor.  The instructor told him the most abusive/violent/wear causing thing he could do to his pistol was actually fire it.  If you are  afraid this would hurt your pistol, you needed a new pistol.
Extractors like Glocks, HKs, and other spring supported are just fine. Self tensioning extractors like those found on 1911s, may wear a bit more, but thats all.
Just shoot it, and dont worry aout it.

I have broken extractors on 1911s single firing, well, when I was younger.......        the other bad thing is that if you have a floating firing pin, even if it is on a spring, you run the risk of inertia making the round go off (federal primers suck for this)   Which is why with soem rifles like a Garand you shoul duse a SLED for single loading........

That all said, I drop single cartrideges into my CZ75 all the time, but I ride the slide forward to try and negate a slam fire
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 11:08:32 PM EDT
[#18]

Not going to go boom from doing that

Chris
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:02:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Who ever told you that you could blow up your gun like that lacks simple common sense.  I have heard pretty much the same as everyone else about the extractor, though.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:23:46 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
If the extractor does not go over the lip of the cartrige but pushes it into the breach, can the gun be fired out of battery? still new to glocks but I would think not.

It's damned hard for Glocks to fire out of battery (I hate to use the word "impossible").  If anything is going to tear up the extractor over time, however, it's steel-cased ammo.  Doing a handful of rounds here and there shouldn't hurt, but if you fired case after case of wolf, you might induce long-term stress on the extractor.  (Not that I know why anybody would do this.)
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:24:55 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I have broken extractors on 1911s single firing, well, when I was younger.......        the other bad thing is that if you have a floating firing pin, even if it is on a spring, you run the risk of inertia making the round go off (federal primers suck for this)   Which is why with soem rifles like a Garand you shoul duse a SLED for single loading........

That all said, I drop single cartrideges into my CZ75 all the time, but I ride the slide forward to try and negate a slam fire

I thought a SLED was for riding in the snow.  Seriously, what is a SLED, referring to the Garand.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 10:16:51 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I thought a SLED was for riding in the snow.  Seriously, what is a SLED, referring to the Garand.

Google search for "garand sled"

first result

Clip, 1 Round (SLED) (from first result)
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:04:00 PM EDT
[#23]
The only way a Glock chould blow up is using reloads or using ammo thats not to spec.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 6:39:40 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I do this quite often, never have had a problem. I mean it's how I get my +1 in the chamber.

Or you could load the mag, insert it into the gun, rack it, take out the mag and top it off until it's full. I think that would be a better way to do it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 8:39:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Just tell him that it "blows up" everytime you fire it. It's just a controlled explosion and it's contained by the chamber and the brass casing, the result of which squirts a projectile down the barrel.

Just tell him it's supposed to do that.

That should shut him up.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 3:41:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:56:06 PM EDT
[#27]
This confuses me.  

As everyone has said, there is no real danger to anything but the extractor when you load one round at a time.  

But what I don't understand is, why would you want to load just one round in this manner?  

I can't think of any good reason to do this.  It's not the way I was shown to make your +1, and it definitely isn't how the pistol was intended to be used, otherwise it wouldn't have come with a magazine.

Link Posted: 5/25/2005 5:57:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Mr Gigglesmith I don't think you are gonna blow up anything other than some money out of your wallet for a new extractor.  

I have been to 3 Glock schools and at each one they gave that example of how to break an extractor................If that is your goal keep up the fine work!!

There is one nice thing.....extractors for the Glock are pretty inexpensive!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top