Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2016 11:43:08 PM EDT
A 41.  Was looking to by a used Sig, but stopped at a LGS to see what they had.  The salesman asked me what I was looking for, and after hearing me out he recommend Glock.  I told him I never liked Glocks because of their grips, and he said to try the Gen 4.  I did, and what a difference.  Between the 5.3" barrel, 3 mags, excellent reviews, and great price, I was sold.  The only thing I don't like is the "no reloads thing," since I roll all of the cartridges I shoot.

Now that I have one, any recommendations for Glock newbs on things to look out for?  Sights, triggers, or certain aftermarket goodies that are must-haves?  I'll be using this pistol chiefly for range duty, with occasional duty as a hog finisher when I hunt for them.  Thanks for reading.

Link Posted: 12/15/2016 11:54:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a glock 30 and I run my reloads through it. I hear no lead bullets so I have been loading plated bullets. Cabelas has extreme plated bullets on sale right now with free shipping. I ordered 1500 last night and it was about $160 with tax.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 12:48:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Reloads are fine as long as they're jacketed bullets and you know what you're doing.

I would like a .45 sometime next year. I owned the G41 and couldn't fall in love with it even though it is a good fun. I'm thinking G21 might be where it's at for me.

Of course, if Glock releases a Gen4 30S, I may give that a hard look...
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 12:58:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I run reloads through all 4 of my Glocks.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 1:12:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I run lead reloads through my 9mm, 45 and 10mm Glock barrels all the time, just clean regularly.  Switched just in the last year to mostly blue bullets.  If it worries you pick up a land and groove barrel for around $100 and shoot away.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 6:51:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I was late to the Glock game to...maybe 4-5yrs ago, now I own several
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:31:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Pics or it didn't happen.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:35:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:37:50 AM EDT
[#8]
All first time glock owners ask the same question.
Just leave it alone and shoot it.

Don't colorfill, don't get a molan labe backplate, don't get the goofy beavertail, don't do a "custom" grip reduction and undercut, don't stipple it. Don't buy an apex trigger.

They're good guns until they get a basement hackjob.

Many people scoff at the poly sights but they work.

Buy some extra mags and enjoy.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:46:32 AM EDT
[#9]

I put the Extended Glock Slide Release on all my Glocks.

It's a cheap & easy upgrade that enhances the pistol, and it's still ALL GLOCK.

Link Posted: 12/16/2016 11:59:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Reloads are fine as long as you use a jacketed projectile.  

Factory Glock barrels have polygonal rifling, which is a no-go for cast lead.  If you do like to reload with lead projectiles you can buy a aftermarket barrel from several manufacturers with traditional rifling.

Link Posted: 12/16/2016 4:16:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just leave it alone and shoot it.

Don't colorfill, don't get a molan labe backplate, don't get the goofy beavertail, don't do a "custom" grip reduction and undercut, don't stipple it. Don't buy an apex trigger.

They're good guns until they get a basement hackjob.

Many people scoff at the poly sights but they work.

Buy some extra mags and enjoy.
View Quote
Sage advice.  And thanks to all who've replied!  Good to hear I can still roll for this, but not cast...that means I have a bunch of 230gr boolits to sell.  I also saw someone write "blue" boolits; I'll assume those are the new coated lead pills.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 4:28:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Pics or it didn't happen.
View Quote
Brand spankin' new.  I didn't like the feel of any of those backstraps, so I stick with stock grip configuation.

Target set up at about 12 yards.  Was aiming at center mass of largest bull while standing square.  Looks like I need to drift rear sight to the right.  But since I can't adjust for elevation, I might get a sight that does.

Link Posted: 12/16/2016 4:34:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Properly assembled reloads are fine
Properly assembled cast bullet loads also fine
My old club had a lead bullets no jacketed rule and every one shooting a glock had to use cast bullets. I honestly saw more trouble with after market barrels than factory
My cleaning routine was every 200 rounds of lead a few passes of a tight fitting dry brass brush the. A few dry patches about 30 seconds worth of effort.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 4:52:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Don't ... don't ... don't ... don't ... don't ... don't
View Quote

You've withheld this one: don't whine about the trigger.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 7:57:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Lets see how many you have in a year or two.  I've owned several makes, but with glock once I got my first the collection grew to eight within 3 years.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 8:38:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Target set up at about 12 yards.  Was aiming at center mass of largest bull while standing square.  Looks like I need to drift rear sight to the right.  But since I can't adjust for elevation, I might get a sight that does.
View Quote

Dawson makes a really nice set of adjustable sights.  Tritium and FO is a option also if that's your preference.

CLICK ME

Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:57:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Lets see how many you have in a year or two.  I've owned several makes, but with glock once I got my first the collection grew to eight within 3 years.
View Quote

I can see that happening...this is a mighty fine shootin' pistol.  I was already thinking about a carry version...
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:58:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Dawson makes a really nice set of adjustable sights.  Tritium and FO is a option also if that's your preference.

CLICK ME
View Quote

That's pretty much what I was thinking about...thanks for the link.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 1:51:08 AM EDT
[#19]
I have these on mine.

Link Posted: 12/18/2016 7:43:33 AM EDT
[#20]
I was an HK fanboy hardcore for years, within the last two years I have sold off all of my HK's and I now have 8 Glocks and likely a ninth coming soon. I can't believe I used to hate on Glocks.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 9:09:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Love my Glocks but I did do a few changes. Extended mag release, extended slide stop and extended slide release. Inexpensive and really easy to install, no worries about fucking it up. I also got the plug for the open slot on the magwell...asthetics here. YMMV but easy enough to switch back and gives me spare parts if a break happens...good all around
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 10:12:11 AM EDT
[#22]
My glocks run my reloads fine.
Missouri.bullet co softball coated 230 over 4.8 titegroup shoots clean. (Gen 4 21)
Precision bullets 230 coated with.same charge leaved a little lead but i finish up the day with the mbc load to clean it out.
Shoot as accurate as my colt 45's
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 10:15:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Brand spankin' new.  I didn't like the feel of any of those backstraps, so I stick with stock grip configuation.

View Quote

On mine the front sight needs to be placed slightly above the target as well
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 10:32:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My glocks run my reloads fine.
Missouri.bullet co softball coated 230 over 4.8 titegroup shoots clean. (Gen 4 21)
Precision bullets 230 coated with.same charge leaved a little lead but i finish up the day with the mbc load to clean it out.
Shoot as accurate as my colt 45's
View Quote

Thanks for data tip, and where to find those coated bullets (tried searching for those but that was a FAIL).  I've always liked Titegroup, but True Blue was my favorite last time I rolled for 45ACP...been rollling for rifle almost exclusively for some time now.  Anyone have experience using True Blue with Glocks, and what the result was?
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 12:12:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Thanks for data tip, and where to find those coated bullets (tried searching for those but that was a FAIL).  I've always liked Titegroup, but True Blue was my favorite last time I rolled for 45ACP...been rollling for rifle almost exclusively for some time now.  Anyone have experience using True Blue with Glocks, and whati the result was?
View Quote

I believe in the reloading section there is info courtesy of dryflash
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 5:39:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Thanks for data tip, and where to find those coated bullets (tried searching for those but that was a FAIL).  I've always liked Titegroup, but True Blue was my favorite last time I rolled for 45ACP...been rollling for rifle almost exclusively for some time now.  Anyone have experience using True Blue with Glocks, and what the result was?
View Quote

These are the guys I use.

Missouri Bullet Company

I usually buy the non-coated .45 bullets, but they have a wide selection of coated projectiles.  For powder I have always used HS-6 as my standardized pistol powder.

Link Posted: 12/18/2016 5:45:12 PM EDT
[#27]
I have 3, I still want a 19, 23, 42.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 6:34:14 PM EDT
[#28]
My Glocks get a steady diet of 95% plus percent reloads.

Your 41 will shine with Zero 230 FMJ, Zero 185 JHP, and Bayou 230 FP. WST is the preferred powder.

I installed a - connector and TRjicon HD sights. The same leather that fits your 34/35 will also fit your 41. I had Ryan Grizzle make me a nice horsehide holster that carries perfectly under a sweat shirt.

http://www.rgrizzleleather.com/owb-holsters.html

Link Posted: 12/18/2016 6:38:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Sage advice.  And thanks to all who've replied!  Good to hear I can still roll for this, but not cast...that means I have a bunch of 230gr boolits to sell.  I also saw someone write "blue" boolits; I'll assume those are the new coated lead pills.
View Quote

I don't like glock stock sights, so imho I would recommend a good set of night sights.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 7:07:15 PM EDT
[#30]
nice buy.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 8:44:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
nice buy.
View Quote
Thank you, sir!  And I'm really digging the Dawson sights, specifically the black rear/red fiber front variant.

And I like the leather options for holsters someone included here...it appears the aftermarket really is that vast for Glocks.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 9:30:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top