Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/9/2016 1:55:20 AM EDT
My EDC is an HK 45C carried IWB but that is only 8+1 rounds and a couple of spare 8 or 10 rounders can get a little heavy. I've decided I think I'd like the option to carry my GLOCK 19 Gen4 too. I like the idea of 15+1 rounds of +9 147 HST with reloading.

I have a TLR-1 HL on another pistol I was going to hi-jack but do I want a light? If I'm going to run a light do I want to buy a Surefire XC-1? I like the smaller profile but it's only 200 lumen and the HL is 800. Do I just keep it slim and simply and not worry about a light?

I can't decide!

I'm looking at G-Code holsters btw.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 3:28:24 AM EDT
[#1]
If you're going to carry it (outside the house), no light IMO.

You're chances of needing a firearm outside of the house are next to zero; needing a light when you're not at home, less than that.

Unless, that is, you work/travel predominantly at night in really bad places.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 5:00:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You're chances of needing a firearm outside of the house are next to zero; needing a light when you're not at home, less than that.

View Quote

Sorry but this is HORRIBLE advice. If your carrying a gun for self defense you need to be able to identify what your shooting at and whether it's placing you in a deadly force situation. If you carry an EDC light then you can use that but to not have a light at all because you have a "next to zero" chance of using your firearm is extremely naive. Either one of those lights will do. I have a xc1 and it's not too bad but for the price you can get a x300 and the extra length isn't that noticeable when carrying it concealed
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 7:01:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Glock 19 with XC1 is awesome for concealed carry
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 9:23:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Glock 19 with XC1 is awesome for concealed carry
View Quote

This is my carry setup and I like it a lot.  Really did not change much adding it on.  I tried with my TLR1 but I felt like I had a turd in my pants and sitting in my car the holster would push up and feel awkward I even tried appendix and I felt like I was sporting wood all the time.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 9:46:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I rotate between the 19 and 32, both have TLR-1HL.  The only time I ever carry a gun without a light is my 26.  17, 19, 32, 1911 all have lights and holsters for them.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 10:18:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Maybe this will help. Don't leave home without a light....
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 10:59:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't see the point of using a WML outside the home. You have to draw the weapon to use it and if you're drawing your weapon, then you've already identified the threat and are prepared to shoot. A handheld is a better option to me. 
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 11:04:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I don't see the point of using a WML outside the home. You have to draw the weapon to use it and if you're drawing your weapon, then you've already identified the threat and are prepared to shoot. A handheld is a better option to me. 
View Quote

Get both.  A handheld is arguably more useful for the majority of your needs.  Highly unlikely that you'll actually need your handgun while out and about.  But when you do need your handgun in a low light situation, nothing beats a weapon mounted light. 

And with the advent of the Streamlight TLR-6 and the Surefire XC-1, there's no reason you shouldn't have a light on your handgun.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 11:09:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Short answer to your question is YES.
I'll let the others debate about which one and handheld vs wml.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 12:30:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I think XC1 and a handheld are a great option.  

I don't run on eon my current 19 because I have been too cheap to buy a new holster.  

I have an X300 U and a HL.

I will probably buy an XC-1 for it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 12:37:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't use a weapon mounted light on my EDC/CCW guns but I won't knock anyone who does. If I was going to mount a light on my G-19, it would be a Surefire XC-1. Perfect size for the 19/CCW and 200 lumens is more then enough for any realistic SD situation. Only downside to that combo is the limited holster options.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 1:42:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't overlook the excellent Inforce APL, which is arguably a better option than the XC1.

https://trex-arms.com/surefire-xc1-versus-inforce-apl/

Also Inforce recently released a Glock-specific model that has an even tighter fit to the Glock.

http://inforce-mil.com/phone/dedicated-glock.html
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 3:59:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Sorry but this is HORRIBLE advice. If your carrying a gun for self defense you need to be able to identify what your shooting at and whether it's placing you in a deadly force situation. If you carry an EDC light then you can use that but to not have a light at all because you have a "next to zero" chance of using your firearm is extremely naive. Either one of those lights will do. I have a xc1 and it's not too bad but for the price you can get a x300 and the extra length isn't that noticeable when carrying it concealed
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And so is yours (IMO).

By your logic, you might as well EDC your AR (with light, LASER (you are EDCing your helmet/NODs, aren't you???)) so you're prepared for anything.

In reality, it's preferable to have a smaller, lighter, more concealable weapon that you will actually carry everyday rather than leaving behind...just on that 1:1,000,000 chance you'll need it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 4:04:37 PM EDT
[#14]
No one will be able to tell you yes or no that you'll ever need it. If you want to carry one on the gun, do it. If not, don't.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 4:13:28 PM EDT
[#15]
All I will say is... if you are going to carry your handgun (especially at night) you should have a light of some sort.

Now, it's up to you if you want a WML or a Handheld or both...  

If you want a WML, you might have to try a few out to see what works for you / what you like.

If you want a Handheld, you might have to try a few out to see what works for you..

(See a pattern here? )
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 4:22:39 PM EDT
[#16]
I forgot in my reply earlier to say that you also need to practice shooting at night with your light that you need.
Yes, you must go to the range after dark and practice, run drills, whatever, but practice in low and no light conditions.
If your range closes at dark, then find a place you can practice elsewhere.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 4:59:49 PM EDT
[#17]
I just always carry my Glock 19 with a TLR1-HL now.  It doesn't add that much weight and that part of the gun is already in my pants so it doesn't change how it conceals.  I also carry a handheld light for times when the weapon light is inappropriate.  By that I mean when I just need a normal light.  

My thought process behind the light all the time is this.  I don't know if the lights are going to go out wherever I am at.  I might carry my gun all day and not get home before I need to be someplace.  I might not be able to get home and change guns so I just carry with a weapon light all the time.  It is a small amount of bulk and weight for a lot of additional capacity.  

I have tried low light shooting with just a hand held and my shooting went to crap, two hands on the gun are better than one, especially under stress.  

Basically I give up very little for the advantage it brings to me. 
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 5:15:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

In reality, it's preferable to have a smaller, lighter, more concealable weapon that you will actually carry everyday rather than leaving behind...just on that 1:1,000,000 chance you'll need it.
View Quote
The chances of you being in a shooting are small, but the chances of that shooting being in low light aren't.  With tiny weapon mounted lights like the XC1 and TLR-6 there is no reason not to have a light on your pistol.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 5:33:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I rotate between the 19 and 32, both have TLR-1HL.  The only time I ever carry a gun without a light is my 26.  17, 19, 32, 1911 all have lights and holsters for them.
View Quote

The TLR-6 is pretty sweet I have one on my G43 and they make it for the 26/27/33 as well.

OP a pic for you.....
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 11:43:42 PM EDT
[#20]
The Surefire XC1 is on sale this weekend for $189.99 at Primary Arms.

http://www.primaryarms.com/surefire-xc1-led-handgun-weaponlight-xc1-a
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 11:53:50 PM EDT
[#21]
No light here. I've got night sights though.
I carry IWB and the light takes up too much room.
Glock 36 and a Gen 4 Glock 19.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 11:56:46 AM EDT
[#22]
I carry my 19 aiwb in a trex sidecar with an X300U. I mostly wear sweat pants in the winter and it's not that bad. I used to carry an XC1(still have it) but I wanted more light so went with the 300. The XC1 is still in my inventory and will be used if I want ever want to switch out for whatever reason.  

I'd much rather have a light and not need it, than need it... You never know what situation you may find yourself in(that's why you're carrying in the first place... right?)... anyone that says you'll "never need it" loses all credibility with me.

Link Posted: 12/10/2016 2:47:47 PM EDT
[#23]
I started carrying with the TLR1-HL about 2 months ago. I used to carry my 19MOS with just night sights and the RM08A in a HSP Incog that I ran with one clip and modified to use with the RMR. When I picked up the light I ordered the Multicam Incog and as soon as it arrived I started carrying with the light mounted. I carry around 3-4 o'clock position IWB. I'm 6' 215lbs and I'll tell you honestly adding the light made 0 difference. A lot of this depends on the holster you choose. The INCOG line of holsters is awesome.  I know they were originally designed for AIWB but I can't find that comfortable. Also seeing as though the weather is turning cold I ordered and received a Bravo Concealment RTT OWB holster. I really like using this when I'm out and about with heavy clothes on that will conceal. I also run the G-Code IWB pistol mag carrier. I'm in no way shilling for them but just providing an honest opinion. I wouldn't go back to carrying without a WML.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 10:09:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Is that female velcro on your grip?
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 10:19:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Yes, you do want a light, but you also want two holsters. One with provisions for a light, one without. Maximum flexibilitah.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 10:42:58 PM EDT
[#26]
XC-1 makes a nice EDC weapon light...

Link Posted: 12/11/2016 12:31:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Is that female velcro on your grip?
View Quote

I'm assuming you're asking me. That is stippling that I did myself.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 4:50:07 AM EDT
[#28]
i find it hard to take someone who is not carrying with a WML seriously.

I started with the XC1, I thought it was the cats ass because I could finally IWB with a WML. Once I realized that carrying IWB with a WML didn't make a noticeable difference in how I carried I wanted a more versatile and powerful light. I now have an XC1, TLR1 HL and an X300u. Still going back and forth between the TLR and the X300 to decide where I will land.

Can't imagine not carrying a handheld and a WML daily.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 8:30:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Can someone share some scenarios outside the home where a WML would be advantageous? I can't come up with any. Serious question.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 8:33:47 AM EDT
[#30]
I don't do lights on my pistols. But the majority of my co-workers that do and carry use G-Code holsters. That's IWB & OWB. Your dime, spend it how you want.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 9:40:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Can someone share some scenarios outside the home where a WML would be advantageous? I can't come up with any. Serious question.
View Quote

Got your kids with you in a poorly lit area.  Power goes out while shopping with the wife and a miscreant takes advantage of the situation.  Your weak hand is immediately disabled.  Plenty of reasons to have a weapon mounted lights.  No real reasons not to anymore.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 11:33:10 AM EDT
[#32]
I carry a TLR-1 HL on my 19Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 12:34:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Why settle for just one holster?  I have a box full of GLOCK and other holsters that get used for different things.  Of course I have the ones I use most often but I have a box of options for what I want to do.  OWB Kydex CC holster, Another one from the same company but molded for a weaponlight as well, IWB kydex, LVL II Bladetech for OC, open top Bladetechs for quick on and off use around the house or a backup competition holster, ect ect.  

So my advice is to get two holsters.  One molded for the WML and one without.  Then use both and determine what works best for YOU!
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 3:04:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Why settle for just one holster?  I have a box full of GLOCK and other holsters that get used for different things.  Of course I have the ones I use most often but I have a box of options for what I want to do.  OWB Kydex CC holster, Another one from the same company but molded for a weaponlight as well, IWB kydex, LVL II Bladetech for OC, open top Bladetechs for quick on and off use around the house or a backup competition holster, ect ect.  

So my advice is to get two holsters.  One molded for the WML and one without.  Then use both and determine what works best for YOU!
View Quote

My thoughts exactly. Hence why I have a G-Code for with the TLR1-HL and one without. Then the Bravo Concealment for OWB.

Like was mentioned though you have to decide what you want. I will say though that the entire G-Code line is GTG.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 4:39:23 PM EDT
[#35]
I don't carry a WML on my carry gun, I prefer a separate handheld light.

Everyone is different though, and you need to get what works best for you.

Link Posted: 12/11/2016 5:07:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
XC-1 makes a nice EDC weapon light...

View Quote

Until you posted that, I was unaware that Crossbreed made a holster that would fit the XC1....thank you for that!
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 4:22:09 AM EDT
[#37]
People will argue both sides, but I personally carry a weaponlight pretty much all the time. I work at night, so it just makes sense for me. I also daily carry a small handheld in my back pocket for administrative tasks, where pointing a gun would be inappropriate.

A flashlight comes in handy ALL the time, so its a good idea to have some sort of light with you whether you carry a handheld or want a weapon-mounted light. I choose to carry both.

I have the XC1, x300u and APL but I carry the x300 95% of the time. I really want to like the XC1 but it just has no throw at all, and doesn't illuminate much in open spaces past a couple yds in my experience.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:17:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Half of the day is night, use a WML.

I would recommend the TLR-1 HL #allthelumens
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:25:22 AM EDT
[#39]
I carry a g19 with a tlr-1 in an owb holster (even though I ordered an iwb) and it's not bad at all.

I decided to start carrying with a light due to it getting darker earlier. When the time changes and it's not dark until 9:00 I may take it off.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 6:08:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Who makes this holster?

John

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/14/2016 6:47:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Adam Lanza- the Colorado theater shooting.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 8:03:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

My .02 is that you need one, taking some low light classes will show ya why.
Go to range and practice night shooting, immediate eye opener why a light is necessary.

I will say that I prefer a not so bright light with laser (green).
Green rocks and can be used in confined areas as a light source, without needing the lumens of the light.
I use thisTLR-4 G and this guy Alameda custom is making a holster as we speak for G19 with milled rmr & tlr-4.
I will be rolling my own kydex holsters in a few months, so i will be able to make any combo that I want
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 10:13:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 12:03:06 PM EDT
[#44]
A WML is just another tool in the toolbox. If you can afford it do it.  Personally i have a tlr1 hl on my 19 with a OWB holster and i will remove the light for IWB carry because it's such a big fucker. I like these new micro lights and need to get one. The real debate you need to contemplate is carry gun vs combat gun and full size light vs micro light.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 3:59:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Holster is a Raven VG3 with what looks like a G Code clip

Edit: this was for Johnny_C. I hit reply and not quote, oops,
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 7:47:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
No real reasons not to anymore.
View Quote

I can think of two:  

- Holster selection
- Light quality

There are only two weapon mounted lights that I actually trust (X300 and TLR-1), and they're both too big for me to carry.  I have had both an APL and an XC1.  Not on part with the rest.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 8:06:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I can think of two:  

- Holster selection
- Light quality

There are only two weapon mounted lights that I actually trust (X300 and TLR-1), and they're both too big for me to carry.  I have had both an APL and an XC1.  Not on part with the rest.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No real reasons not to anymore.

I can think of two:  

- Holster selection
- Light quality

Plenty of concealment holsters available for those.  And while the smaller lights obviously aren't on par with the larger ones, they're still adequate.  I'm sure in time they'll catch up, after all wasn't that long ago that the TLR and Surefire X-### were only a few lumens.  The XC3 will probably have 500+ lumens, improved controls, 100hr run time, and be utterly reliable.

And of course a light is a tool and tools can always fail, so you should obviously train for the possibility.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 8:26:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

And so is yours (IMO).

By your logic, you might as well EDC your AR (with light, LASER (you are EDCing your helmet/NODs, aren't you???)) so you're prepared for anything.

View Quote

No. adding a few ounces to the front of your G19 is not the same as carrying a set up AR.  How is this even logical?

Technology advances and you keep advancing with it or get left behind by the pack. I personally am setting up a 19 with XC1 and an RMR as an EDC.

I will take every advantage I can.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 10:54:55 PM EDT
[#49]
ive got a surefire xc1 on my g19 and i tell you this, even though the xc1 is slim and convenient it drains battery quick so remember to grab some rechargeable triple AAAs if you do get one

otherwise it is a handy blinding tool for close quarters as any
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 11:21:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Thanks for the feedback guys. I see some good posts in here!

I also see some of you running almost the exact setup I plan to run. I have some Trijicon HD's sitting here, I'm in the process of filing down the back edges and re-blueing them so they don't cut my fucking side open and I've pretty much decided on the G-Code Incog. Also yes, I've cut myself on GLOCK HD's... I have some Trijicon HD's on my GLOCK 43 and those suckers are SHARP!

I believe I'm going to get one for the X300U and one without a light. Starting with one without a light because they offer a 3 day shipping option and then custom ordering one for the X300U after the fact.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top