Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/22/2016 12:59:56 AM EDT
Hey guys,

Just bought a brand new Glock 19 Gen4 (my first handgun, just turned 21 on Friday), and I am looking into purchasing some stuff for the gun for a bit of extra customization and added functionality.  Any ideas? Right now, I have an engraved slug plug being shipped to me, along with a Strike Industries Tool-less removable Slide Plate.  I also purchased a glock takedown tool for convenience.  The purpose of use of this pistol for me is a CCW gun, as well as a nightstand gun.

Should I be looking into replacing the sights with trijicon nightsights? What about an extended slide drop lever? I am looking for your guys' experiences with glock customization and upgrades... Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 1:12:30 AM EDT
[#1]
By all means change the sights out. They are a much improved upgrade. To me, everything else is based on personal preference. Have you shot the gun, are you familiar with the controls and functions? I've been shooting Glocks since I was 8, I'm now 30. Never once have felt a need for the extended slide release, but again that is personal preference. Whether I hit it with my strong hand, or weak hand, I've never felt a need for one.  As far as the removable plate and butt-plug, I've never really seen a use for those either. It takes all of 3 seconds to remove the plate. Later on you may want to look into an after market barrel, trigger etc.... Enjoy your new toy!
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 1:20:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah I definitely don't like the "ping pong ball in a bucket" sights.  I have shot Glocks before, and have been shooting since I was about 10, so I am familiar with their battery of arms.   The only reason I was thinking of the extended slide release is because I have smaller hands, but I think practice with that control will help solve that problem.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 1:24:01 AM EDT
[#3]
1)  Good set of "night" sights, which in reality are low light sights.
2)  Some extra magazines...you want to have plenty for practice and some that you are 100% confident feed every time for carry.
3)  As much ammo as you can afford.

From there everything else becomes customization.  A light is always a good idea but you need to know how to use it.   The rest of the go-fast parts may or may not make the pistol any more useful to you until you've put several thousand rounds through it and really know where it might be coming up short of expectations.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 1:26:46 AM EDT
[#4]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LmjakoWKwU    a good video on this. Also it goes without saying, since there is no manual safety, it is perfectly fine to use the "sling shot" technique too. Under duress this may be easier to do then fumbling around to look for the slide stop.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 1:27:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes, I just got a range membership to practice with it in a more controlled and professional environment than BLM land or Desert spots.  Speaking of magazines, are the new Magpul GL9 Magazines not reliable? I have 3 magazines that came with the gun, but I really want a few more and I don't want to buy them at $35 a pop from Glock OEM.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 1:49:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Take it to glockmeister and have them do the $30 trigger spring job. They will install your sights for free of you buy from them.

Hold off for now on extended mag reuse and slide stop. Just go shoot the piss out of it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 1:49:46 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a 23, so Magpul doesn't make any for me yet. I heard the first ones had some sort of issue, but I believe those have been resolved. Try some of the ETS Glock mags too, They're pretty good,
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 8:36:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Generally there are two kinds of glock owners- those that understand how to shoot one and realize that after market parts ( except for sights as mentioned) do not add any performance worth bothering with. ( while others will argue the point, by far the vast majority of glocks I have seen with reliability issues they can be traced to after market tinkering)
The second group is people who do not learn to master the trigger effectively and try to overcome this with tinkering when they really just need to practice proper technique
The glock has become the 1911 of the new mellenium, where people "fix" them until they stop running
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 9:06:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Generally there are two kinds of glock owners- those that understand how to shoot one and realize that after market parts ( except for sights as mentioned) do not add any performance worth bothering with. ( while others will argue the point, by far the vast majority of glocks I have seen with reliability issues they can be traced to after market tinkering)
The second group is people who do not learn to master the trigger effectively and try to overcome this with tinkering when they really just need to practice proper technique
The glock has become the 1911 of the new mellenium, where people "fix" them until they stop running
View Quote

Pretty broad statement there.

I'm almost certain I could out shoot you with a glock (unless you're some master or GM level shooter), and I love aftermarket parts. It makes a good gun even better when you selectively upgrade.

To each his own.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 9:08:08 AM EDT
[#10]
First off Happy Birthday. Novak sights are on all my Glocks. I drank the poison punch and purchased the Vickers extended slide and magazine release for my G19.  Not necessary by any means. Other than sights leave it alone and stock up on magazines.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 9:44:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Sights. I like Ameriglo Defoors.

Flat triggers are pretty awesome. I like glockkraft.

Maybe a light. X300u or xc1.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 9:44:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Other than extra factory mags which can be found on sale at CDNN for $19.99 fairly regularly, I'd take advantage of the $57 deal that Glock offers for factory nite sites which are Meprolights.

Other than that, spend money on ammo.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 9:47:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yes, I just got a range membership to practice with it in a more controlled and professional environment than BLM land or Desert spots.  Speaking of magazines, are the new Magpul GL9 Magazines not reliable? I have 3 magazines that came with the gun, but I really want a few more and I don't want to buy them at $35 a pop from Glock OEM.
View Quote

READ THIS

BUY THESE
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 10:35:58 AM EDT
[#14]
As you shoot it you will find what you want to change.  Everyone is different in what they want out of their pistol.

My setup is Heinie Slant Pro Straight 8 night sights, extended slide stop, "-" connector, heavy trigger reset spring, striker block lighter spring, and the undercut on trigger guard fit to my hand.  I set my 19 up to mirror my G34/17 so when I pick up either of them they all feel very similar except the 34 I have a lighter striker, stainless guide rod so I can swap weights of my recoil spring.  I have them setup this way because it is my preference and what works for me.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 10:40:05 AM EDT
[#15]
night sights

mags and ammo
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 10:40:39 AM EDT
[#16]
OEM extended slide stop

Agency Arms low-profile magwell

Whatever sights you prefer (I like Ameriglo Pro-Operators)

Light (XC-1 is pretty awesome)

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 11:24:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Just purchased a 19 as well, i'd say send the slide to glock for night sights (they had it for less than a week, cost $57 bucks).  I used to shoot a sig and couldn't get over my want for a 19 so sold it and bought a 19.  I upgraded my trigger and did a DAT v2, oem "-" connector, and a zev trigger spring.  it's pretty sweet and much much better than stock, esp if you're used to something else.

i'd say sights and trigger
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 11:41:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Meprolight night sights, all steel tritium(trijicon) and are less expensive and mags. I did send mine to get custom machining done to the slide but that is just a personal preference. I find that extended controls and magwell's only help if you want to run the gun faster the OEM ones work fine.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 12:03:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LmjakoWKwU    a good video on this. Also it goes without saying, since there is no manual safety, it is perfectly fine to use the "sling shot" technique too. Under duress this may be easier to do then fumbling around to look for the slide stop.
View Quote

Excellent video.  A subtle point that is often over looked is that if using the slide lock to release the slide, using the strong hand thumb can develop some potentially bad habits.    For glocks the over the top "sling shot" is probably the most reliable way of closing the slide and is also a good habit to develop as it is the same method for clearing a malfunction.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 12:52:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah, slingshot or overhand the slide.  Sights are probably a good thing.  I personally have always left my Glocks stock.  For some reason I like that goofy U.  And I'm not super concerned about them not being metal.  Although maybe that will come to bite me in the rear end someday.  IDK.  

But beyond sights...  do you really NEED anything else?  I think for a carry gun, the closer to stock, the simpler it is, the better.  All that other stuff seems like fluff to me. And sometimes customizing seems like asking for trouble.  For example. I've read about people doing a trigger job.   And sometimes it's by polishing the striker.  But then I've heard some say it takes the finish off, and may cause it to be sticky in the channel and it MAY lock up easier.   Or like I said may get sticky.  Which really wouldn't be a good thing.  I'm no expert on these matters, and I'm guessing some people will argue about all that if they read this.  But whatever.  Stock is stock.  If it works as designed, why mess with it?   AFAIK, Glock doesn't have a rep for needing to be tweaked to run well.   And in a carry gun, reliability would be my highest priority.  

Only other thing I think is an issue is grip.  They can be kind of slippery sometimes. Depends on you though.  

That's my opinion.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 1:58:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Yeah, slingshot or overhand the slide.  Sights are probably a good thing.  I personally have always left my Glocks stock.  For some reason I like that goofy U.  And I'm not super concerned about them not being metal.  Although maybe that will come to bite me in the rear end someday.  IDK.  

But beyond sights...  do you really NEED anything else?  I think for a carry gun, the closer to stock, the simpler it is, the better.  All that other stuff seems like fluff to me. And sometimes customizing seems like asking for trouble.  For example. I've read about people doing a trigger job.   And sometimes it's by polishing the striker.  But then I've heard some say it takes the finish off, and may cause it to be sticky in the channel and it MAY lock up easier.   Or like I said may get sticky.  Which really wouldn't be a good thing.  I'm no expert on these matters, and I'm guessing some people will argue about all that if they read this.  But whatever.  Stock is stock.  If it works as designed, why mess with it?   AFAIK, Glock doesn't have a rep for needing to be tweaked to run well.   And in a carry gun, reliability would be my highest priority.  

Only other thing I think is an issue is grip.  They can be kind of slippery sometimes. Depends on you though.  

That's my opinion.
View Quote

I tweak every single one of my Glock I prefer around a 4# trigger on mine and I prefer a straight 8 night sight on mine. On my compact/sub Glocks I change the trigger bar to a G17 smooth face trigger because I despise the feel of the ribbed trigger especially after prolonged shooting sessions.  The Glock sights IMO are terrible and I have lost them before while shooting especially the front stacked plastic sight.  My G32 at the range one day while shooting the front sight just disappeared, my G17 the rear sight would drift during recoil and I just removed and replaced it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:10:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Sights are a must. Mainly because I want metal sights. If you like night sights then go that route. That is what I do. I like Ameriglo CAP sights best for my carry gun. I also like Trijicon HDs.  There are a lot of good shooters that like fiber optic front sights for their carry guns and have good results with those, so that is another option. Frank Proctor is one such person and has his own sights that he sells on his website.

Next get 10 magazines for your gun.

Then get 1000 rounds of ammo to shoot.

If you have not had professional training, get professional training for a qualified instructor. I wish I would have done this sooner than I did. It would have saved me time and money in the long run.

After you have done all that, if you find that you want to alter the gun go for it.

(Personally, I prefer a smooth trigger face over the serrated one that comes on the Glock 19 so I will change out my Glock 19 and 26 triggers for Glock 17 triggers. But that is a personal thing)
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:28:35 PM EDT
[#23]
You need ammo and mags for now.  Not sure about the indoor range comment but ok.  You can do a LOT more outside of the square range.

Just saw the comment about metal sights - yeah, the stock plastic sites kinda suck.  But figure that out after you get used to the gun and handle a few G19's with other sights.

I have OEM extended slide releases on my Glocks, as someone else stated, not necessary but work well for me.

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:58:29 PM EDT
[#24]
First gun....engraved slug plug....extended slide release. Please stop

Leave it completely stock, watch many videos on safe shooting techniques, videos on the G19 and note how most shoot it and use it, take it to the range and get used to it.

BUY ALOT OF AMMO NOW WHILE YOU STILL CAN

Shoot it more

Buy mags for it

And then finally if and when you want to change something you will know what to change. You might find it is perfectly fine the way it is.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 3:50:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Trijicon HD sights and a Raven Concealment Phantom.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 4:15:33 PM EDT
[#26]
I've only bought glocks on the used market, so take it for what it's worth.  My most recent purchase was a Glock 23 RTF used.  I jumped on it because I got it for a steal.

Current setup: Glock 23 RTF
Guy before me did the following upgrades.

-Stainless guide rod
The guide rod isn't ever high on my priority list.  It did take some squeak out of my 34, but it is one of the least noticeable upgrades.  It'll be nice to play with spring weights eventually when this Glock figures out which bathroom to use. I'm converting it to 9mm.

-Stainless pins
Pointless.  

-TFO fiber optic night sights
Very impressive, I highly recommend.

-Ghost 3.5 lb connector
Not necessary since I don't find a Glock trigger to be "bad."  I've learned to use them stock and shoot well.

-Punisher backplate
Stupid.  I'll be getting a factory backplate soon.

-Lone Wolf extended mag release
It certainly sticks out quite a bit.  It's something I've done to all of my Glocks.  This is the first I've used the Lone Wolf, and it seems a bit excessive.  

-Stainless extended slide stop
The stainless looks stupid.  I would rather use Glock OEM.

My opinion?  Sights, mags, learn to shoot it as is.  You can tweak it from there as you see fit.

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 4:17:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Ameriglo CAP or T-CAP sights.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 8:51:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You need ammo and mags for now.  Not sure about the indoor range comment but ok.  You can do a LOT more outside of the square range.

Just saw the comment about metal sights - yeah, the stock plastic sites kinda suck.  But figure that out after you get used to the gun and handle a few G19's with other sights.

I have OEM extended slide releases on my Glocks, as someone else stated, not necessary but work well for me.

View Quote

There is a fire ban in my area right now, which means all the outdoor ranges are closed for the next few months due to fire regulations.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 9:14:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Magazines
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 10:32:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I'm almost certain I could out shoot you with a glock (unless you're some master or GM level shooter), and I love aftermarket parts. It makes a good gun even better when you selectively upgrade.

To each his own.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To each his own.

Yes to each his own and perhaps in the run and gun you would clean my clock. I shoot a bunch of ppc ( some of it with the 50 yard phase for 24 of the rounds fired) and usually am only 10-12 points below a clean score with a stock glock except for replacement sights so know my way around the glock fairly well. While some may benefit from aftermarket parts ( selectively as you said) most of that improvement comes after you have already mastered the platform.
Put another way the one who invests in practice gets better in the long run than someone trying to buy performance with parts swaps without the investment in quality practice
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 7:11:07 AM EDT
[#31]
More people need to upgrade themselves in lieu of upgrading the gun.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 8:54:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yes to each his own and perhaps in the run and gun you would clean my clock. I shoot a bunch of ppc ( some of it with the 50 yard phase for 24 of the rounds fired) and usually am only 10-12 points below a clean score with a stock glock except for replacement sights so know my way around the glock fairly well. While some may benefit from aftermarket parts ( selectively as you said) most of that improvement comes after you have already mastered the platform.
Put another way the one who invests in practice gets better in the long run than someone trying to buy performance with parts swaps without the investment in quality practice
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To each his own.

This may hold true for "YOU" but I have been shooting Glock ever since I got into shooting, my first pistol I bought was a Glock, and I mastered the mediocre stock trigger long ago.  The stock trigger has lots of short falls but works but not for me it actually holds me back.  The reset on a stock Glock is meh, the stock trigger is mushy, and the weight is slightly to high.  4# trigger on a Glock for "ME" is the sweet spot and I modify every single one of my Glocks to mirror each other as close as possible so no matter which one I pick up they are all very similar triggers.  On your statement that modified Glocks have issues this is true for people who do not assemble them properly or do not know the little things about a Glock that have to be a certain way.  I will not say I can out shoot anyone because I have learned from shooting lots of competitions their is always someone better maybe not the day I win but someone always comes along and and narrowly beats me maybe because because they have slightly better equipment, moved a little faster, or I screwed up but that is just how it goes.  The nice thing about people that are better than you it sets the bar a little higher next time that if I want to win I have to work a little harder and improves me.  

Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:09:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Got this on all my Glocks -

OEM extended slide stop
OEM extended mag release
OEM night sights - at $59 their the best deal around
Ghost 3.5lb connector
Trigger polish job
Stippled accelerator cut
Smoothed out edges on mag well
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:32:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Mags and ammo.  New sights won't help unless you are already an excellent shot.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:37:52 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote
This.

And a nice holster.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 12:23:34 PM EDT
[#36]

I would suggest you get at least 6 to 10 spare mags as soon as you can, before the prices go crazy, and they are impossible to find.

Also, if you can, get yourself 2-3k rds of ammo.  1k for practice, and the rest for use/stash.

Also a set of the Glockmeister/Ameriglow Tactical Night Sights.  And LOTS OF PRACTICE !!!

Just my .02 cents.

Link Posted: 6/23/2016 12:37:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

There is a fire ban in my area right now, which means all the outdoor ranges are closed for the next few months due to fire regulations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pro Tip:
A burn ban will not affect your dry fire practice, yes it is a great tool, and helps smooth out trigger and connector parts.
Everyone is different but I dry fire in my home at a spine box silhouette target.

There are no mags or ammo allowed in that room when practicing, pistol and holster only.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 12:38:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
More people need to upgrade themselves in lieu of upgrading the gun.
View Quote

.. Thanks for speaking the gospel.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 1:45:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Replace the sights, purchase extra mags, a good quality holster, good quality belt and a lot of ammo.  Shoot as much as you can, enjoy your new purchase and it's always good to seek additional training as well.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 2:01:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Replace the sights, purchase extra mags, a good quality holster, good quality belt and a lot of ammo.  Shoot as much as you can, enjoy your new purchase and it's always good to seek additional training as well.
View Quote

Did you type that as fast as I read it
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 2:21:47 PM EDT
[#41]
I prefer the OEM (-) connector, and the apex firing pin block.

That combo reduces a little bit of weight, and smooths out the pre-travel.  Its not going to make drastic differences in your ability to shoot, but what it does help me with is speed/accuracy of my first round from a draw when I have a less than perfect grip and the fundamentals aren't as sound as they SHOULD be.  

When focusing slow fire, or even ramping up the cadence, no difference.

I'm trying some of the extra power trigger return springs as well, and that reduces weight a little more as well.  

Link Posted: 6/23/2016 2:32:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Unless you despise the rear Glock U sight. Night sights served 2 purposes for me.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 2:46:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I would suggest you get at least 6 to 10 spare mags as soon as you can, before the prices go crazy, and they are impossible to find.
View Quote

This. Watch for sales on brownells or order from CDNN if you are outside Texas.

You might want to get some Glock 17 mags while you still can also because they fit in the 19. You can use the 17 mags as your backup to have the extra rounds and they conceal easy in a mag pouch, but still have the 19 mag in the gun to maintain concealabilty.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 9:15:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
and the apex firing pin block.

View Quote

HUH?
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 9:45:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

HUH?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
and the apex firing pin block.

HUH?

This.

Striker block, safety plunger, whatever the fuck you Glock heathens call it
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 9:49:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Oh ok, meh...just polish the factory one. That's all that one is unless they changed the spring.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 9:58:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Oh ok, meh...just polish the factory one. That's all that one is unless they changed the spring.
View Quote

I disagree.

They changed the profile by rounding it.  I generally combine it with a Zev reduced power spring and it smooths up the pre-travel quite nicely.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:30:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Night Sights. Good Holster. Shoot the piss out of it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 12:07:30 AM EDT
[#49]
So how many of you all have actually had an issue with the stock sights?  I'm not saying it's a thing, I'm just trying to understand what kind of a thing it is.  Edgecrusher has said he's had problems.  I'm guessing the harder you use your gun, the more likely you'll have an issue.  But I don't quite understand what the issue is.  Does the front sight break at the post that attaches it to the slide?
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 8:01:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
So how many of you all have actually had an issue with the stock sights?  I'm not saying it's a thing, I'm just trying to understand what kind of a thing it is.  Edgecrusher has said he's had problems.  I'm guessing the harder you use your gun, the more likely you'll have an issue.  But I don't quite understand what the issue is.  Does the front sight break at the post that attaches it to the slide?
View Quote

I have the same sigts on all my Glocks.
Black in rear, tritium in front with green outline, It helps me go directly to front sight.
I find the white to be a distraction, when playing with a new one and waiting on sights to come in, I turn the rear sight around so its black.

I do not know if the plastic sights will break easily, as I have not had them on the gun very long.
Most people that I know that shoot a lot replace their Glock sights.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top