Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2016 12:08:12 PM EDT
I am coming up on my first summer in Phoenix and trying to make a decision regarding summer carry and thought I would reach out for some opinions.  I am debating weather to purchase a smaller glock or stick with my G19 that I have been carrying the last couple of years and purchase some upgrades for it.  

Options:
1. Glock 43- Small and light, but would require new holsters and mag capacity is lower
2. Glock 26- Smaller handle length than the 19, 10rd mag, works with existing holsters and higher cap G19/17 mags
3. Glock 19 - I've gotten along fine thus far carrying AIWB, and have been wanting to upgrade the trigger/barrel.  Sometimes it feels just a tad bit to big to conceal in light clothing.

thoughts/opinions?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:19:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been carrying Glocks for over ten years and to me, a 17 carries better and conceals just as well as 26 in most cases.  The big square rear-end of the slide is what prints, and the big thick double stack grip is what makes it thick in the waist-band.  To me, the longer slide of the 17 helps keep the butt end tucked close and is more comfortable than the shorter slides digging into my side.  

The 26 made an ok boot gun until the 43 came out.  Now I use a 43 for that role and have a 17 cut down for 19 mags for everything else.  But I usually carry a Sig P239.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:45:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I carry my 19 in an Alien Gear 3.0 at 0300 under a T-shirt all the time. No problems.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:47:16 PM EDT
[#3]
6'1" and 195lbs. Glock 17 carries no problem in a tshirt.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:14:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Just carry the G19. It conceals well, and if someone *happens* to see it, it's no big deal. They are probably carrying too, this is Arizona !

BTW, I carry my G19 OWB everyday. I'm usually just in shorts and a t-shirt... in the 15 years or so I've carried, no one has ever noticed my firearm. Also, around Phoenix you will frequently see people open carrying, and it's no big deal.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:14:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
6'1" and 195lbs. Glock 17 carries no problem in a tshirt.
View Quote

what position are you carrying?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:34:10 PM EDT
[#6]
The 43 is an awesome little gun but you lose a lot of capacity. Go with the 26, it is a lot smaller while still being able to use the larger mags. Is the 19 a tad big for you because of the length of the thickness?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:34:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just carry the G19. It conceals well, and if someone *happens* to see it, it's no big deal. They are probably carrying too, this is Arizona !

BTW, I carry my G19 OWB everyday. I'm usually just in shorts and a t-shirt... in the 15 years or so I've carried, no one has ever noticed my firearm. Also, around Phoenix you will frequently see people open carrying, and it's no big deal.
View Quote

You carry OWB and cover it with a t shirt? what kind of holster?  I have seen quite a few open carry.  I prefer to keep mine concealed and there are times I want no chance of being made.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:35:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The 43 is an awesome little gun but you lose a lot of capacity. Go with the 26, it is a lot smaller while still being able to use the larger mags. Is the 19 a tad big for you because of the length of the thickness?
View Quote

This thickness of the glock isnt a big deal, its mostly the handle length that tends to stick out even with a "claw" on theholster to push the handle in.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:36:23 PM EDT
[#9]
G19 in a mtac for me. I'm a small guy and it conceals fine. Just play with the holster height and angle.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:01:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You carry OWB and cover it with a t shirt? what kind of holster?  I have seen quite a few open carry.  I prefer to keep mine concealed and there are times I want no chance of being made.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use a Bravo Concealment kydex holster with the standard belt clips. It sits close to the body and is nice and thin. You can even convert it to IWB if you choose with a different set of belt clips.  For the times I want a quick throw on and go holster I use a cheapy Fobus paddle holster. Same idea, it's thin and sits close to the body. Additionally the Paddle makes it easy to put on and take off, and you can even use it with athletic style shorts without a belt.

I tend to buy t-shirts a tad bit large and longer in the body if I can get them. Then I just leave them untucked and it works well for me.  YMMV.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:30:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To me, concealed just means covered. My G19 either OWB or IWB is fine for that. People don't notice anyway.

If I want no chance of being made, I carry a Shield IWB or my Keltec P32.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:40:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I use a Bravo Concealment kydex holster with the standard belt clips. It sits close to the body and is nice and thin. You can even convert it to IWB if you choose with a different set of belt clips.  For the times I want a quick throw on and go holster I use a cheapy Fobus paddle holster. Same idea, it's thin and sits close to the body. Additionally the Paddle makes it easy to put on and take off, and you can even use it with athletic style shorts without a belt.

I tend to buy t-shirts a tad bit large and longer in the body if I can get them. Then I just leave them untucked and it works well for me.  YMMV.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a Bravo BCA I could mess with some more to see what options may work.. I've only carried open/owb at the range with it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:52:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I carry my G19.4 in a Comp-Tac M-Tac and anxiously awaiting my INCOG Eclipse XC1 to come in.  I could probably get away with carrying a G17/34 but for my the 19 grips conceals just a little better than the 17 grip.  When I wear clothes that I cannot conceal a 19 I carry my Walther PPS (7 round mag) which is similar in size to the G43 but a little bigger.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:48:17 PM EDT
[#14]
I carry a 19 in a fanny pack because I am old and don't give any fucks.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:04:22 PM EDT
[#15]

3. Glock 19 - I've gotten along fine thus far carrying AIWB, and have been wanting to upgrade the trigger/barrel.  Sometimes it feels just a tad bit to big to conceal in light clothing.

thoughts/opinions?
View Quote

I *used* to carry my G19 IWB SOB in a cheap Galco stow n go because it's hot AF here in the summer and I sweat No issues concealed. Now carry G17 chopped to G19 length.

You might be happy with the G43 but it felt very small in my hands and I don't like the reliance of a pearce extension for positive grip. Also, upgrade that trigger! One of the best upgrades I did for my Glocks.

Good luck in the heat this year!
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:17:56 PM EDT
[#16]
My 26 has not been out of the safe since I got a 43. If I can conceal something bigger than the 43 (including the fat 26), I just carry a 19 or 17.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:39:10 AM EDT
[#17]
OP like you I daily carry one of my G19s in the appendix position, year round. All my personal experience of course, but I had a 26 and sold it off to my father-in-law so I could pick up a 43. I sold the 26 because I couldn't shoot it as well as my 19s, even with the extension on it, which defeated the purpose of the smaller gun anyway.

Now im seriously looking at selling off the 43 as well if I cant find a way to shoot it any better. It carries like a dream, and even with a spare mag IWB up front I hardly notice its there. But I refuse to carry something that im not confident I can make hits with, especially past 3-5 yards.

So for me personally, I will continue to carry my 19s, and im ok with that. I carry comfortably in a Trex Arms sidecar, and the holster conceals well plus carries a spare mag too. Sure my balls will roast in the summer, and my holster will get sweaty, but its worth it to me to be able to carry a gun I can shoot well.

Im also looking into the possibility of trying out a G30s, as I think it will fit in my 19 holsters. Same physical size more or less, just giving up a few rounds since the 30 shoots .45. Should shoot and fit my hand similarly well in theory, but I want to borrow one and find out for myself.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:52:59 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm a small frame dude (no belly) and I can conceal a 19 AIWB. I've carried that way for 6 years year around. I mostly wear just short sleeve t shirts

My clothing isn't baggy nor slim, but fitted I guess?

Getting a good holster is the key next to body type. I recently got one of the Raven Eidolon holsters and good god. Expensive but worth it!

They pop up on the EE every once in a while, but I seriously recommend that holster. If you don't like it, I guarantee it will sell quick in the EE if you don't like it.

AIWB can be a hassle with summers, driving, long sits, and requires a little trial and error but the trade off for me is 100% worth it.  I can't carry at any other position without wearing baggy ass clothes and that would mean a lcp sized gun. I went from a lcp .380 (4 o'clock) to a 19 (aiwb)

I'm a capacity kind of guy
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:26:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Look at a Stealth Gear holster, either IWB or their new OWB
Made for Az summer carry, and do a great job.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:13:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Stick to the 19.  If you can carry a double stack, carry a double stack.  Like another poster, I also use an RCS Eidolon and I can wear my 19 all day under t-shirt/shorts.  It's also nice having one carry gun and not having to switch between a summer carry and a winter carry.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:24:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Unless you are itching to buy a new piece I would try the 19 in a good IWB holster and if it doesn't work then look at a 26 or 43.  

I really like my 43.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:53:00 AM EDT
[#22]
I don't understand why people are so worried that their gun will print.  Who cares ?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:58:39 AM EDT
[#23]
I prefer my 43 when its really hot out and im going around in light clothing, otherwise just stick with the 19.  7 rounds is a little low I agree but only 11 for my G19 thanks to Kommiecticut so its not too much of a disadvantage.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:58:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I don't understand why people are so worried that their gun will print.  Who cares ?
View Quote

Once you realize no one is actually paying attention to "YOU" and they are more worried about posting on facespace their latest status or kitty cat pictures printing is a none issue.  I carry something smaller sometimes because something larger is just not comfortable in the attire I have chosen or does not work for some other reason.  I also do not know what other state laws are about this so some may have to conform to wacky laws.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:27:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks all for the opinions, much appriciated.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:31:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
OP like you I daily carry one of my G19s in the appendix position, year round. All my personal experience of course, but I had a 26 and sold it off to my father-in-law so I could pick up a 43. I sold the 26 because I couldn't shoot it as well as my 19s, even with the extension on it, which defeated the purpose of the smaller gun anyway.

Now im seriously looking at selling off the 43 as well if I cant find a way to shoot it any better. It carries like a dream, and even with a spare mag IWB up front I hardly notice its there. But I refuse to carry something that im not confident I can make hits with, especially past 3-5 yards.

So for me personally, I will continue to carry my 19s, and im ok with that. I carry comfortably in a Trex Arms sidecar, and the holster conceals well plus carries a spare mag too. Sure my balls will roast in the summer, and my holster will get sweaty, but its worth it to me to be able to carry a gun I can shoot well.

Im also looking into the possibility of trying out a G30s, as I think it will fit in my 19 holsters. Same physical size more or less, just giving up a few rounds since the 30 shoots .45. Should shoot and fit my hand similarly well in theory, but I want to borrow one and find out for myself.
View Quote

how much for the 43??  Kidding.  I have a sidecar as well, have had it about a month and am getting used to working with it.  I carried in the incog before that w a separate iwb mag holder.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:55:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

how much for the 43??  Kidding.  I have a sidecar as well, have had it about a month and am getting used to working with it.  I carried in the incog before that w a separate iwb mag holder.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I may very well end up ditching the 43, but im trying my hardest to like it. Only time will tell I guess.

As for your sidecar, play with the mounting positions of the belt clips to see what works for you as far as comfort goes. If it helps, I actually have the clip on the "gun side" 1 position higher than the "mag side"  on both of mine. It not only cants the grip of the gun to aid in breaking up the outline, but it also allows me to get a full firing grip on the gun during the draw. If I lower it one position, my fingers hit my beltline/waistband when drawing, and disrupts my grip.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:28:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hell, I've open-carried for years and I can count on one hand the people that have actually noticed.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:37:18 PM EDT
[#29]
I've run all three CCW, the 43 is what usually gets the nod.  Really no appreciable difference between the 17 and the 19, if you can do the 19 you can do the 17.  43 wins hands down as far as slimness, grip concealability, and weight.  Downside is you're giving up a lot of rounds.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:42:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Even though I just picked it up, I'm loving my gen 4 G26. With an untucked shirt, I don't see how it is difficult to conceal even in the summer. The 43 will probably be more comfortable but I like to have at least 10 rounds in a carry gun so it didn't cut it for me. Good luck with whatever you decide.

*p.s. first post!
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:20:54 PM EDT
[#31]
CC a 22 for ten years without any issues.  Predominately wear shorts with polo shirts and t-shirts during the summer.  Printing has never really been too much of a concern.  I have found that by wearing darker colors that it does help to conceal the firearm better that a lightly colored shirt.  I primarily carry OWB with a RCS Phantom and a Galco and Ares Belt.  I do carry a 27 as well on occasion but do find that I prefer the G22 as I like a full size gun.  My 27 is usually carried appendix with a Contact Concealment AP Holster.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:39:58 PM EDT
[#32]
I carry a 21Sf in a Raven AIWB all year
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:44:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Mostly I carry my G43 in my strong-side front pocket. I use a Desantis holster that was only like $10 and I just toss an extra mag in my other pocket. Sometimes, I'll carry my G17 and just wear a bigger shirt and that works fine too.

Both can be done but I prefer the 43 just cause it's easier and more comfortable for me.

eta: the 43 really is a bad ass little gun. My wife has one too and she loves it. They're great guns so if you have even the slightest excuse or reason to grab one, do it.

His and hers:

Mine is the black one I swear.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:45:05 PM EDT
[#34]
I picked up a blue label gen 4 G26, so far I really like its compromize on size and round capacity.  can't go wrong at that price either.. thanks again all.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:54:11 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Hell, I've open-carried for years and I can count on one hand the people that have actually noticed.
View Quote

I think more people noticed then you think, but they were either carrying themselves, OR wishing that they were carrying !

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:07:30 PM EDT
[#36]

I've been thinking about picking up a Blue Label G43, one reason is their conceal ability, and another is the Blue Label

price is so LOW !!!  Damn OTD under $400, you really can't go wrong with that kind of pricing

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:44:05 PM EDT
[#37]
The Texas summers can get hot and humid, too, and I wanted something that wasn't as large as the 19 in my waistband which is what I usually carry. Work shirts aren't super large and I dress lighter in the summer anyway. Even in the appendix position which is more effective at concealing larger pistols that 19 tends to print a little.

The 43 is just about invisible. This is my secnd time owning one. I sold it the first time around because I shot horribly left with it. First outing with the new one was much better. It's an unforgiving pistol for inconsistent grip and trigger pull, though - even more so with self defense ammo. Like any other small handgun, it requires a lot of practice to get competent with it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top