Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2002 4:08:52 PM EDT
Everything in the manual says after cleaning, wipe dry. For storing should you leave a light caot of oil in the bore like normal, or is the glock something different? Also what is the slide made of. Shouldn't it be oiled also? I also read somewhere to shoot only a certain type of ammo in it. What kind, just jacked no lead? Thanks
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 4:37:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 7:26:36 AM EDT
[#2]
To expand a little on what Aimless said, the Tennifer finish applied to Glocks is a rust resistant treatment that is applied to both the barrel and the slide. It is very durable and requires no lubrication to prevent rust. There is a black oxide type finish applied over the Tennifer that gives the Glock the dull black (ugly) apperance. It does wear off but the gun will not rust as the Tennifer is still there.

Most every one, including Glock, recommend only jacketed bullets. If you want to shoot lead alloy bullets you need to replace the factory barrel with an after market barrel with cut rifling.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 4:18:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Everything in the manual says after cleaning, wipe dry. For storing should you leave a light caot of oil in the bore like normal, or is the glock something different? Also what is the slide made of. Shouldn't it be oiled also? I also read somewhere to shoot only a certain type of ammo in it. What kind, just jacked no lead? Thanks

This is what I do:
Remove slide from frame, remove barrel and recoil spring assembly from slide. Put barrel and R.S.A into dishwasher next to the silverware. Put frame and slide into dishwasher next to plates. Insert favorite dishwashing detergent; turn on pots and pans setting.
Come back later and remove. Oil with miltec on slide rails and barrel. Wipe what you get on your fingers on the connector.
Reassemble and shoot some more.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 4:27:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

This is what I do:
Remove slide from frame, remove barrel and recoil spring assembly from slide. Put barrel and R.S.A into dishwasher next to the silverware. Put frame and slide into dishwasher next to plates. Insert favorite dishwashing detergent; turn on pots and pans setting.
Come back later and remove. Oil with miltec on slide rails and barrel. Wipe what you get on your fingers on the connector.

NO !

Not a good idea to get lead
anywhere near your food!!!!

Link Posted: 6/14/2002 3:49:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is what I do:

NO !
Not a good idea to get lead
anywhere near your food!!!!

Do you really think that the amount of lead on a well shot Glock will contaminate your dishes?
I bet you get more lead exposure from your everyday drinking water. I'm sure the rinse cycle takes care of it.
FWIW, I worked at an indoor range for almost two years 5 days a week and my lead level was dangerously high (according to the doctor.)
He put me on some heavy metal flushing drugs.
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 4:04:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Do you seriously mean to tell us you actually wash your handgun in the dishwasher?
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 5:13:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I guess that this guy isn't really telling us that.
In any case, if lead isn't the concern, then the solvents/lubricants/residues are.
[Also, not sure how good the heat is for your frame]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top