Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2015 11:24:24 PM EDT
I bought this pistol in 1992, I think. I've used it as a competition gun, shooting IPSC, IDPA, plates and pins, experimenting with loads, and lots and lots of practice. I was about 40 rounds into a practice session today when the trigger failed to reset:

yep, broken spring

when I got home I got out the box of Glock parts and went at it:

good as new:

So, I'm a gunsmith! No "tuning" necessary. Seriously, this is a lesson that ANY gun can break.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 12:41:53 AM EDT
[#1]

I keep telling everyone that Glocks are junk!
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 1:03:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 1:06:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Was the spring that broke the old copper colored one?  The new Grey ones are supposed to be longer lasting and less likely to break. the improvements to the trigger bar and ejector housing include fatures that protect spring life as well.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 2:35:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Twenty plus years out of a trigger spring is damn good. One of the more commonly broken parts.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 8:41:26 AM EDT
[#5]
20 years of competition shooting and various plinking and you never thought to do a PM on the pistol and replace the parts that require replacing after a given # of rounds shot ? This is like the LEO thread that states they don't believe in performing PM on pistols they use to defend their life with- Funny isn't it ?
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 9:00:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Just curious of a guesstimate round count before it broke?
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 9:39:10 AM EDT
[#7]
What a piece of junk...

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 9:55:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
20 years of competition shooting and various plinking and you never thought to do a PM on the pistol and replace the parts that require replacing after a given # of rounds shot ? This is like the LEO thread that states they don't believe in performing PM on pistols they use to defend their life with- Funny isn't it ?
View Quote

Parts were switched out: various iterations of custom trigger parts, guide rod/recoil springs for different loads/uses, etc. That's why I have an ammo can full of glock parts. When I shot this gun in competition it went to matches, particularly regional matches, with spare parts.
This gun was also a carry gun- for years I carried it in southern Arizona while backpacking and hiking on photography trips. when I left on these trips I always installed the stock trigger and recoil spring, which had seen relatively little use.
So, it WAS maintained, after a fashion, but not on a schedule. If I had it to do over again, I would keep a record of parts installed/rounds fired. I compete in Palma and mid range target rifle events, and my competitive rifles each have a notebook with that kind of data.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 10:33:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just curious of a guesstimate round count before it broke?
View Quote

Hard to say. As stated above, I did a lot of experimenting with trigger parts without keeping records. The gun itself? maybe 20K rounds. I load and shoot a lot. Here is a picture of some of the current production under the loading bench in my shop:

I generally load at least 1K rounds on the Dillon before switching calibers. When the spring broke I was working through a lot of lead semi wadcutter ammo that I had loaded in December. The Glock had a Lone Wolf barrel in it at the time.

Here is a blast from the past:

Scope mount for the G21, in front of the "glock parts" can. We shoot plates here in the winter, because the snow is too deep on the range to do much else. I would always enter two guns. One was always my tuned 686. I played around with a red dot on the Glock. Technology has, of course, moved on.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:12:20 AM EDT
[#10]

20K huh?   Yeah what a piece of junk.  LOL

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 3:14:43 PM EDT
[#11]
obviously a piece of crap handgun.

Send it to me, I'll take care of it for you.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 4:19:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
obviously a piece of crap handgun.

Send it to me, I'll take care of it for you.
View Quote

Sorry. Smithsonian has dibs.

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 4:26:54 PM EDT
[#13]
What a junker. Time to dispose of it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 7:58:38 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a G21 of 1991 vintage (first yr).  It has factory Tijicon night sights--still work!  Love that gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top