Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2015 9:46:36 AM EDT
I'm specifically shopping for a Glock 19 but maybe the answer is applicable across models?

When searching in the interweb, many vendors don't provide what gen it is [which I think is stupid, but what do I know?] so is there a way using serial numbers, other numbering systems or visually to discern a gen 3 from a gen 4?

Thanks,

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:32:06 AM EDT
[#1]
One way is the number of magazines included. If it comes with 3 its gen 4, comes with 2 its gen 3.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:43:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Well aside from the slide being stamped "Gen 4", Gen 3 has a smooth trigger face, Gen 4 has ridges.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:06:54 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

. . . Gen 3 has a smooth trigger face, Gen 4 has ridges.
View Quote

That depends more on the particular model than the generation.

Visually, the Gen 4 has the additional backstraps, a much more aggressive frame texture, and the magazine release button is much larger.

Gen 3:

Gen 4:

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:50:20 AM EDT
[#4]
The removable backstraps are one of the ways to visually tell. Probably the easiest way is to actually call the vendor and just ask if you are not sure. Most places are very helpful.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top