Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/27/2014 4:21:50 AM EDT
Hey, just picked up a G42 today. Was doing some dry firing and everything was good. Did a basic disassembly (frame, barrel, spring) tonight to make sure the barrel was clear and put the gun back together. When I cycled the slide (no limp wrist) the trigger did not move at all, it never came close to resetting. It just stayed all the way back. I ran the slide again and the trigger reset. This is a sporadic but recurrent issue with the gun, and does not seem to be linked directly to disassembly.  When the trigger does get stuck rearward, the second cycling of the slide will clear it.  

The gun is new, with the test brass having a date of 10/08/14... ZERO rounds through the gun on my behalf. No tinkering, everything is factory.

Obviously this concerns me, I've owned and carried other Glocks without encountering this "behavior."

Weak spring on the firing pin? Break in period? Any ideas?

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 5:49:20 AM EDT
[#1]
When i got mine I took mine all the way down out of curiosity as I'm a Glock Armorer but haven't been through the class since this pistol came out.   Upon putting it back together, the little plastic insert in the trigger return spring was put in upside down.  Caused similar issues except I had to take the slide off then out it back on and it would clear it up and randomly pop up again.   Trigger refused to reset with slide being racked when it flared up.  

I found this pic from the loose rounds blog and it shows the part I'm talking about, the little insert on the spring there.  The little triangle was facing 180 degrees and it needed to be like in the pic.  Seems like a small deal but it caused all kinds of issues.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:03:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorta related, I was cleaning my wife's 42 and noticed that her trigger is really heavy.
It's got about 400 rounds thru it so it should be broken in, so to speak. Has anyone else noticed this or does she have a bad one?
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:12:45 PM EDT
[#3]
It looks like that part is installed correctly. Today, I was messing with the gun and can now get the trigger to stay rearward even after several cyclings. No range time yet...just family time so far on this Turkey Day. Oddly, I've yet to encounter the problem when I keep the trigger pressed and slowly release it. It seems to only do it when I pull the trigger, release, and then cycle the slide.

Could it be that in cycling the slide, I'm subtly applying a pressure at a off angle and this isn't allowing the gun to properly strike the cruciform? Perhaps, this would explain why keeping the trigger depressed prevents the problem, because it's pushing something (maybe the trigger bar) "properly into position?"  

And I can induce this malfunction way more often when racking the slide by "pinching it with my thumb and pointer" then I can with and overhand "sling shoting/power stroke."

Does that seem possible?
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:14:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It looks like that part is installed correctly. Today, I was messing with the gun and can now get the trigger to stay rearward even after several cyclings. No range time yet...just family time so far on this Turkey Day. Oddly, I've yet to encounter the problem when I keep the trigger pressed and slowly release it. It seems to only do it when I pull the trigger, release, and then cycle the slide.

Could it be that in cycling the slide, I'm subtly applying a pressure at a off angle and this isn't allowing the gun to properly strike the cruciform? Perhaps, this would explain why keeping the trigger depressed prevents the problem, because it's pushing something (maybe the trigger bar) "properly into position?"  Does that seem possible?
View Quote
Imma gonna go try to reproduce that.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:37:20 PM EDT
[#5]
So here is a crappy video I made with my cell phone of the problem.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY_x-NyZ6Ww&list=UUgSTMLy3RvLMNKVn1Iuttxw[/youtube]
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:47:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Another sorta related,  Yesterdays range session with my Gen 3 G27.  Fired 100 rds...Got home and took out of the holster.

Trigger pin broken. 1/3 of it fell out.  The other 2/3 still in the hole.   Still able to operate trigger to remove the slide.

Parts do break....ordered part.  $3.99.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 4:03:16 PM EDT
[#7]
This will help you understand how the trigger spring works with the trigger mechanism housing. Push the trigger spring in the top grove of the TMH  and slide it down to the bottom grove. The picture above was taken from the article.

looserounds.com glock-g42-stripped-new-internals
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top