Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2014 7:57:13 AM EDT
I got the chance to shoot one a few weeks ago and havent been able to get that little guy out of my mind since then.  This would be my first Glock if I buy it.  What I want to know is what you guys that have one have to say about it.  Are there any common problems with them? What do you like about it? I want as much non biased information as possible about this little pistol.  I would probably carry it every now and then over my other two carry pistols.  So please, give me reasons to be a Glock junkie.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:12:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I havent got one - or shot one. and i hope i dont, because then i know ill want one, and i dont really need another .380. especially another single stack 6+1 .380. but i know damn well that if i ever even so much as hold one, ill want it.

I will say this, however. if this will be your first glock, get a 19 first. unless what you are after is a pocket gun that is.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:15:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I wanted to hate it, when it was announced, but I ended up with one.  It is a joy to shoot, and most 380s are not.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:19:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Reliable, Easy to shoot, Trigger and sights I'm use to, Nice as a BUG or going to gym gun.

I went with Ameriglo sights (similar to Trij HD)

Fist 1-K IWB holster and a 5 Shot Leather ankle rig.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:29:27 AM EDT
[#4]
.380 sucks.  Why even bother?  Get a 26 or 19...
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:38:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Reliable, Easy to shoot, Trigger and sights I'm use to,
View Quote

Nailed it.

I work in an office and it sits on my ankle all day. Feels good, shoots good, super easy to conceal.

ETA: I had a G27 a couple of years ago and an M&P Shield 40 up until about six months ago - both are gone in favor of the 42. I'll switch to a 19 once winter rolls around but the 42 is perfect for summer. But I'm not the keyboard commando that needs a full size 1911 with five back up mags, a backup pistol, a flashlight, an a handcuff key on my belt either.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:43:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I have been kicking the idea of getting one around for when I need something super small, like mentioned above the gym or jogging a summertime backup gun, around the house in a pocket. I'm already a glock fan so I like having the sight and trigger feel that I'm used to in a tiny package. I have held one in my LGS and it feels better in hand than most 380s I have held before. I say go for it, the gun itself is good to go the caliber debate is a whole new can of worms.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:38:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
.380 sucks.  Why even bother?  Get a 26 or 19...
View Quote

I actually enjoy shooting .380.  My EDC is a FS 1911 in .45acp.  Im just looking to get something smaller because I cant always carry a 1911, especially at work.  I liked how thin and small the 42 was. My other option that I like so far is the S&W Shield in 40 cal.  But I'm still leaning to the 42.

Even if I do get something else, I'm probably going to buy a 42 sooner or later just to have. Hell, my wife could just toss it in her purse and not really know its there.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:19:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:21:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:47:11 AM EDT
[#10]
How do you guys carry your Glock 42 at the gym?  I handled one this past weekend and I think I am hooked!
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:29:59 AM EDT
[#11]
With the right .380 ammunition you can have very acceptable lethality making the .380 a viable choice for self-defense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WMMr5ANHlw&list=UUAWFWuY7JafjZNE_dG8BshA

The above is a video I found to be excellent and highly informative.  It shows good performance from the Precision One .380 ACP in a Glock 42.  Very nice performance as you'll see in the video for .380 with 12 to 13.5" penetration and decent expansion.  

Although a 9mm version is rumored to release next year I think it's fair to assume that if that true it could be as long as June or so before you could get one.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:45:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
With the right .380 ammunition you can have very acceptable lethality making the .380 a viable choice for self-defense.

The above is a video I found to be excellent and highly informative.  It shows good performance from the Precision One .380 ACP in a Glock 42.  Very nice performance as you'll see in the video for .380 with 12 to 13.5" penetration and decent expansion.  

Although a 9mm version is rumored to release next year I think it's fair to assume that if that true it could be as long as June or so before you could get one.
View Quote

single stack 9mm Glock eh? this is relative to my intersts
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:27:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That has been rumored for years.
Even if they did come out with one. It'll probably be the same size as a G26 just a bit thinner.  The glock 42 is pretty much the maximum size a small pocket auto can be.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:48:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Nailed it.

I work in an office and it sits on my ankle all day. Feels good, shoots good, super easy to conceal.

ETA: I had a G27 a couple of years ago and an M&P Shield 40 up until about six months ago - both are gone in favor of the 42. I'll switch to a 19 once winter rolls around but the 42 is perfect for summer. But I'm not the keyboard commando that needs a full size 1911 with five back up mags, a backup pistol, a flashlight, an a handcuff key on my belt either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Reliable, Easy to shoot, Trigger and sights I'm use to,

Nailed it.

Haha keyboard commando, I like that expression.   And there are many of them out there.  I only carry my 1911 because I recently got it and wanted to carry it.  And no, I do not carry a back up mags or anything else.  Just one in the chamber.   Im leaning towards the 42 as being my first Glock and I will probably carry it more often than not.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:52:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I bought a G42 for my better half.  

Liked it so much I bought one for myself.  

It compliments my 26 and 19 nicely.  

A comparison of four .380's.  Worth the viewing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7nWBMIeIXI
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:17:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Haha keyboard commando, I like that expression.   And there are many of them out there.  I only carry my 1911 because I recently got it and wanted to carry it.  And no, I do not carry a back up mags or anything else.  Just one in the chamber.   Im leaning towards the 42 as being my first Glock and I will probably carry it more often than not.
View Quote

I bought a 42 as I downright didn't enjoy shooting the Shield and with my body type couldn't find a good way to conceal carry at the office (polos and slacks). An ankle holster is far from the quickest draw, but I'd rather have the G42 on my ankle than my 19 in the car.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:21:33 PM EDT
[#17]
I have one and love it, I also have a G26 but I mainly pocket carry and there is a huge difference between the two in your pocket, the G42 is really easy to conceal. Have had the Shield, LC9, Nano and LCP also. The only one of those I kept was the LCP, it is stupid small and easy to hide.

If I could change anything about the G42 I wish it held 7 rounds in the mag instead of 6, I know about the Magguts kit but not sure if I want to trust one.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:05:43 PM EDT
[#18]
It is an enjoyable gun.  I will echo what many say in that i didn't think i would like it but really do.  It is so much thinner and lighter than a 26 it is tough to believe.  It fills a nice niche because the gun is extremely thin, yet very controllable. My targets at 25 yds with a 42 look the same as my targets at that distance with a 26 or 19.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:48:38 AM EDT
[#19]
I will echo what others are saying about it being easy to shoot.  It is actually a lot of fun to shoot.  Recoil is very mild, not snappy like some light 380's.  I carry mine 40 hours a week as a backup gun at work and also carry it as a CCW just about every where I go when I'm not working.  I hardly ever carry my Kahr anymore.  It has been 100 percent reliable with the exception of not always locking back on an empty mag(approx. 1 in 10 times).  No other malfunctions of any type with about 800 rounds through it.

My only complaint is the piss poor availability of .380 ammo.  I would shoot it a lot more than I do.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:46:40 AM EDT
[#20]
I love my 26 however I'm a small guy and hiding the 26 is not easy in the summer months here in Vegas, at least not for me. So I have been carrying a PPK/s for 20 some odd years during the summer, until this summer. Now my 42 is my summer carry. Love it!
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:34:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:17:30 AM EDT
[#22]
I love this gun. I appendix carry it daily in a crappy uncle mikes holster made for a shield. I'll enjoy it that much more once I get a proper holster for it. The trigger is heavier than my gen 4 17 for sure and that's after my gunsmith did a 25 cent trigger job on it. If the trigger was 1lb lighter it would be perfect.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:20:53 AM EDT
[#23]
If you like it, buy it. I had one and it was a piece of crap. Others have been luckier.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:04:28 PM EDT
[#24]
A Friend recently aquired his first CCW permit and had never previously carried a gun.   My Friend bought a Gen 4 Glock 19 but was surprised about the bulk even when being carried on a belt.  When the Glock 42 was released my Friend and I each bought the Glock 42.  I'm a retired LEO and carry my 42 IWB but my friend really likes pocket carry.  My friend is able to shoot the Glock 42 on par with his Glock 19 and it is a benefit that the operation of both is the same.  

I had previously owned or shot most of the 380 pistols on the market.  I like the Glock 42 better than any other 380 I've shot.  I can hit my steel target at 50 yards with my Glock 42 so it has plenty of accuracy.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:45:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:35:35 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
How so?  Genuinely curious/interested.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If you like it, buy it. I had one and it was a piece of crap...

Numerous malfunctions, even with FMJ ammo. Trigger pull worse than any GLOCK I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:24:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:55:53 PM EDT
[#28]
I was in the same boat a few weeks ago. I really wanted a pocket pistol, something I could throw in my pocket when I didn't want to holster up. The Glock42 is not that. It might be able to be carried in the pocket but isn't ideal. It is/is almost too big to fit for one and two it has too many sharp corners to get snagged on by your pockets. I compared its size and lines and decided to get the LCP and couldn't be happier. Now like I said this is my "better than nothing" pistol and 9 times out of 10 I have a Glock26 on me with spare mags.

For the first Glock GET A 19!!!! Again believe me when I say this GET A 19!!!!

The 42 is good if you don't want to throw rocks at the bad guy.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:22:49 PM EDT
[#29]
The reason my wife went with a Shield was not just the caliber difference, but the fact that the Glock 42 does have a very heavy trigger pull by all reports far in excess of the one stated by Glock (10 lbs or by some accounts heavier).  

Trigger pull is so important to accuracy and that kind of heavy pull in my opinion while advantageous for safety reasons makes the low left shooting by a right hander almost a certainty since they'll have to get more finger on the trigger to complete pull and are more likely to torque the trigger.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:38:07 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Very interesting, and sorry to hear that.

Did you give Glock a chance to address/remedy the issues, and did they do so satisfactorily?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you like it, buy it. I had one and it was a piece of crap...

Numerous malfunctions, even with FMJ ammo. Trigger pull worse than any GLOCK I've ever seen.

Very interesting, and sorry to hear that.

Did you give Glock a chance to address/remedy the issues, and did they do so satisfactorily?

Nope. It offered nothing over the Kahr CM9 so I dumped it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:59:09 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm waiting for the single stack 9mm...slightly bigger which is okay with me.

If it never comes, then I'm fine with my G19.  I'm not interested in .380.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:59:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:12:54 AM EDT
[#33]
My G26 is my EDC but I carry my G42 often now too.  I've tested Gold Dots, Golden Sabers, Critical Defense, Hydra Shoks, Starfires, and Wichester Defend rounds and my G42 has run 100%.  It's very accurate with very low recoil.  Because of its low recoil, you can shoot a G42 fast.  Really easy doing double taps and full mag dumps, and do them accurately.  Sometimes I just don't want to carry my 26 or 19.  In shorts and a T-shirt, the 42 is is a great option.  Pop some night sights on and you're gtg.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:01:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm waiting for the single stack 9mm...slightly bigger which is okay with me.

If it never comes, then I'm fine with my G19.  I'm not interested in .380.
View Quote

I hate having second thoughts about a carry gun based on caliber.  Which is what's going on right now.

I have decided to get the M&P Shield in 40 S&W mainly due to the fact that it isn't a .380.

I also have decided to buy a G42 when/if they come out with something bigger than a .380.  Like a 9mm.

Still might buy one soon for the wife.  She likes the gun regardless of caliber.

I appreciate everybodies input and will remember these things for when I go to puchase a Glock.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:24:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I don't disagree with that advice but I don't understand it in a thread about a .380.

One isn't meant to replace the other.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was in the same boat a few weeks ago. I really wanted a pocket pistol, something I could throw in my pocket when I didn't want to holster up. The Glock42 is not that. It might be able to be carried in the pocket but isn't ideal. It is/is almost too big to fit for one and two it has too many sharp corners to get snagged on by your pockets. I compared its size and lines and decided to get the LCP and couldn't be happier. Now like I said this is my "better than nothing" pistol and 9 times out of 10 I have a Glock26 on me with spare mags.

For the first Glock GET A 19!!!! Again believe me when I say this GET A 19!!!!

The 42 is good if you don't want to throw rocks at the bad guy.

I don't disagree with that advice but I don't understand it in a thread about a .380.

One isn't meant to replace the other.

What I took from his post is he wanting to get into Glocks and handled a 42 (which feels good in the hand). But IMO the 42 offers very little situations to carry it over other Glocks (or other pistols IMO). Other than an ankle backup I see no point in one. Past that I cannot see 1 reason to go with the 42 over my LCP. And past a pocket pistol I would never ever choose my LCP over my 26.

In the end I wish enough people had screamed to me to get the 19 over my 26 first. I love my 26 to death but wish I had the 19 FIRST.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:27:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My G26 is my EDC but I carry my G42 often now too.  I've tested Gold Dots, Golden Sabers, Critical Defense, Hydra Shoks, Starfires, and Wichester Defend rounds and my G42 has run 100%.  It's very accurate with very low recoil.  Because of its low recoil, you can shoot a G42 fast.  Really easy doing double taps and full mag dumps, and do them accurately.  Sometimes I just don't want to carry my 26 or 19.  In shorts and a T-shirt, the 42 is is a great option.  Pop some night sights on and you're gtg.
View Quote

You can't shoot your 26 fast? I was at the range last time trying very rapid fire in real CCW range 5-7 yards and I easily could get 2 in the chest and 1 in the head very quickly. The GAP floorplate helped a lot I would imagine but I haven't shot a 26 without one so I can't say.

Also why would you choose to run a 42 over a 26 in a IWB holster? That makes no sense to me. I'm 5'11 175lbs and I wear medium size Tshirts all the time with shorts and I have no problem hiding my 26. No way I would give up 4 rounds and go with a questionable caliber round over the 9mm. To each his own I guess
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:42:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

You can't shoot your 26 fast? I was at the range last time trying very rapid fire in real CCW range 5-7 yards and I easily could get 2 in the chest and 1 in the head very quickly. The GAP floorplate helped a lot I would imagine but I haven't shot a 26 without one so I can't say.

Also why would you choose to run a 42 over a 26 in a IWB holster? That makes no sense to me. I'm 5'11 175lbs and I wear medium size Tshirts all the time with shorts and I have no problem hiding my 26. No way I would give up 4 rounds and go with a questionable caliber round over the 9mm. To each his own I guess
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 26 is an almost unnecessary pistol, it really isn't any easier to carry than a 19, but has a grip that isn't as good as the 19, so like you many people add the extended  floor plates which then takes away the only real advantage that the 26 has over a 19 and that is the shorter grip which prints less.

Then you just have a gun that carries like a 19, prints like a 19, but carries less ammo.

I have a 26 and seldom carry it because it just doesn't really offer that much in concealment or ease of carry over a 19.

a 42 on the other hand is a big difference, and yes, it may be a 380, and of course there are smaller 380s, but the majority of small 380s are blowbacks with strong recoil in a small package.

I would say that there is a much bigger place for a 42 in my glock lineup that a 26, and the only reason I haven't sold my 26 to buy a 42 is that I like my 9mm Glock collection (26, 19, 17, 34, need a 17L), I will own a 42 though.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:09:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The 26 is an almost unnecessary pistol, it really isn't any easier to carry than a 19, but has a grip that isn't as good as the 19, so like you many people add the extended  floor plates which then takes away the only real advantage that the 26 has over a 19 and that is the shorter grip which prints less.

Then you just have a gun that carries like a 19, prints like a 19, but carries less ammo.

I have a 26 and seldom carry it because it just doesn't really offer that much in concealment or ease of carry over a 19.

a 42 on the other hand is a big difference, and yes, it may be a 380, and of course there are smaller 380s, but the majority of small 380s are blowbacks with strong recoil in a small package.

I would say that there is a much bigger place for a 42 in my glock lineup that a 26, and the only reason I haven't sold my 26 to buy a 42 is that I like my 9mm Glock collection (26, 19, 17, 34, need a 17L), I will own a 42 though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to me. I can make a 26 disappear on me where the 19/23 will show its handle through my shirt. Not only that but the 26/19 both take the same holster which is another advantage. At the end of the day I use the same ammo, can carry 11 rounds of 9mm, same holster, little less weight, and gives you the full pistol feel when shooting. IMO a single stack .380 should have absolutely no use unless you just can carry a IWB holster for some reason (wearing a dress?).  
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:12:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Wow.  I started this thread for people to convince me to get a 42, not any other Glock and it is now a debate over which Glock to get.

This thread went way off topic and I already decided what gun I'm going to get for right now.  

Keep the debates going, I'm getting a kick out of it!  Its interesting to hear what actual Glock users have to say about each model.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:22:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Not to me. I can make a 26 disappear on me where the 19/23 will show its handle through my shirt. Not only that but the 26/19 both take the same holster which is another advantage. At the end of the day I use the same ammo, can carry 11 rounds of 9mm, same holster, little less weight, and gives you the full pistol feel when shooting. IMO a single stack .380 should have absolutely no use unless you just can carry a IWB holster for some reason (wearing a dress?).  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would be willing to bet that if you started a poll about whether or not the reduced capacity of a 26 vs the small advantage in concealability over a 19 is worth it a majority of glock owners would agree with me.

In fact I will start one.

Poll can be found here.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:59:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:44:02 PM EDT
[#42]
I really like the G42...it shoots well and is easy for concealment.    As for the just get a 26 if you use that mentality why not just go for the 27...more powerful cartridge in the same size pistol.   My motto is you can never have too many Glocks.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:38:45 PM EDT
[#43]
I've got a 42 and have put around 300 rounds through it without any failures. I carry it IWB almost all of the time with a spare mag.
Sure, I'd rather have my 32 with me but the 42 conceals so easily.

As far as the whole 380 debate, it's better than nothing and the 42 is so easy to shoot that I could most likely get 4-5 rounds on target rapid fire without any issues.
Comes down to what are you going to actually going to carry? Something you can conceal easily or something based on caliber?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top