Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2014 3:40:53 PM EDT
Saw one at my local store for 415.00, and picked it up, also bought a box of Speer Lawman 380.

Took it to the range and I think I only made it threw one magazine without a malfunction. I was having FTF, FTE, and stove pipes.

Love the size and feel of the gun, but I need to do something about the malfunctions. I am going to try a different type of ammo and see how that goes.

How long should I expect for a break in period? I hate to have to shoot several hundred rounds only to realize the gun is still having problems. I realize that guns need a break in, but my other glocks have been flawless, and I keep reading about other 42s that are too.

Right now I plan on trying 2 more boxes and if that dose not work then guess I will send it back to glock.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:12:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Try different ammo before worrying about the gun. I have a new G42 that doesn't like Fiocchi 95 grain ball - the load I use in my Walther PPK. But I when I fed it 50 rounds of Winchester white box, it worked like a champ. I have also fired 100 rounds of Blazer through it without a hitch. Give it a try with multiple brands and stick with the ones it likes best.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:56:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I have to ask. Did you clean and lube the gun prior to shooting it?

First thing I did with mine was field strip it and give it a once over. Most Glocks ship fairly dry (or at least they were by the time they got to me). My G42 has been flawless for over 200 rounds. Mine had a January or February test fire date, if I recall correctly.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:07:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Saw one at my local store for 415.00, and picked it up, also bought a box of Speer Lawman 380.

Took it to the range and I think I only made it threw one magazine without a malfunction. I was having FTF, FTE, and stove pipes.

Love the size and feel of the gun, but I need to do something about the malfunctions. I am going to try a different type of ammo and see how that goes.

How long should I expect for a break in period? I hate to have to shoot several hundred rounds only to realize the gun is still having problems. I realize that guns need a break in, but my other glocks have been flawless, and I keep reading about other 42s that are too.

Right now I plan on trying 2 more boxes and if that dose not work then guess I will send it back to glock.
View Quote

I fired about 5 different brands/types of ammo through mine, including Speer.  Mine ate everything BUT the Speer.  It had one FTE every mag with 50 rounds of it.  I'm not sure why, but it really didn't like that ammo.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:56:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have to ask. Did you clean and lube the gun prior to shooting it?

First thing I did with mine was field strip it and give it a once over. Most Glocks ship fairly dry (or at least they were by the time they got to me). My G42 has been flawless for over 200 rounds. Mine had a January or February test fire date, if I recall correctly.
View Quote

Pay very close attention when you break it down.  Some different parts in there. Here is a pretty good article on take down and parts.
http://looserounds.com/2014/01/24/glock-g42-stripped-new-internals/
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:00:45 PM EDT
[#5]

I was always told to shoot a glock until the copper lube was gone, guess I could just add some more oil.

I will head back to the range in the next day or two with some other ammo and we shall see.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:47:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I pulled my G2 from the box, checked the bore, completed a safety function check, and headed to the range. The 1st rounds fired were a department qual. course.  No malfunctions.  I fired a couple hundred more rounds of various makes(no malfunctions), cleaned her up, and put her in the holster.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:58:21 AM EDT
[#7]
After about 700rnds I'm still having issues with some target/ball ammo.  It seems to be two specific kinds, both seem softer shooting than the third brand.  All HP (generally hotter ammo) has ran fine, and I've put several hundred rounds of HP's alone threw it.

Had hoped to chrono the ball ammo to see the actual FPS differences?

I run them right out of the box, although  run a patch down the bore, put 250 rounds threw on its first trip to the range.  Cleaned it once, then ran another 400 threw it, at which point it got cleaned again.

Should be interesting working up some reloads for it

~g

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:17:38 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm not calling you a girl in this post.

I have put 400 or so trouble free rounds through my Glock 42.  I have not experienced a single malfunction in those rounds.  Now my wife on the other hand.  She put two mags though it and had a malfunction just about every time she pulled the trigger.  I have no idea what she was doing wrong.  To me it looked like limp wristing but it's such a soft shooting gun I'm not sure that's possible.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:54:07 AM EDT
[#9]
I hear you, I kinda thought the same thing as I do have a pretty loose grip, but I have never had any problems out of my Glock 26, I also let a friend try and he had the same problems. Seems like a major market for this type of gun is for girls/recoil sensitive people, so one would hope you would not need a death grip in order to make the gun cycle.
Quoted:

I have put 400 or so trouble free rounds through my Glock 42.  I have not experienced a single malfunction in those rounds.  Now my wife on the other hand.  She put two mags though it and had a malfunction just about every time she pulled the trigger.  I have no idea what she was doing wrong.  To me it looked like limp wristing but it's such a soft shooting gun I'm not sure that's possible.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:00:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I tried to limp wrist mine, 2 finger grip(thumb and 1 finger) as loose as I could w/o dropping it, no malfunctions.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:55:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Shot speer Lawman and american eagle  90 grn FMJ's yesterday in my new G42. Shot about 50 rounds total. Had numerous failures to feed on the second round and a few double feeds. All after the first round was fired. I am very disappointed in my G42. Shot the same ammo threw P238 with zero issues.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:06:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I reloaded using Accurate #2 powder with 95 grain FMJ and had no trouble.  I used 3.6 grains and Accurate's web site list 3.7 as Max.  These functioned 100% but a friend loaded his 100 grain FMJ with a light load of Unique and they have continually failed in 3 different 42's.  My 42 likes the hotter ammo but still very pleasant to shoot.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:56:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I am now on my 2nd gun.. My first 42 is still jamming on just about everything except PMC. My 2nd gun I have run through the standard dry break in of cleaning all the grafite lube soaking with break free and then manually cycling the action 250 times,  break down gun, wipe clean and relube. I have so far put 200 rounds of PMC, 200 rounds of Winchester fmj and 100 rounds of buffalo bore JHP. So far no malfunctions.
 I also put 25 rounds of Remington golden saber through it last and had one instance of the slide locking open on the 2nd mag. I must say this little 380 is working my nerves.I am a die hard Glock user and have never had any issues in over 17 years and 14 personally owned Glocks. Glock needs to get this shit straightened out ASAP.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:09:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I am now on my 2nd gun.. My first 42 is still jamming on just about everything except PMC. My 2nd gun I have run through the standard dry break in of cleaning all the grafite lube soaking with break free and then manually cycling the action 250 times,  break down gun, wipe clean and relube. I have so far put 200 rounds of PMC, 200 rounds of Winchester fmj and 100 rounds of buffalo bore JHP. So far no malfunctions.
 I also put 25 rounds of Remington golden saber through it last and had one instance of the slide locking open on the 2nd mag. I must say this little 380 is working my nerves.I am a die hard Glock user and have never had any issues in over 17 years and 14 personally owned Glocks. Glock needs to get this shit straightened out ASAP.
View Quote

Glock changed slide stop styles and GS bullets are fat, you probably have the old style. Less than 2 minutes w/ a dremell and problem solved or Glock will probably send a new one.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:11:38 PM EDT
[#15]
My first 100 rounds had a few issues , I belive s&b ammo to be weak in 380 .the last 500 rounds of cci Winchester and Remington has been perfect.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:04:46 PM EDT
[#16]
I emailed my LGS asking about the GSSF price on the 42, got this in reply:

"We are now able to accept
GSSF coupons, however the G42 will likely be another 60 days out due to
the recall of the original batches (over bored)."

Any chance this might explain some of the issues you guys have been seeing?

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:10:29 PM EDT
[#17]
For what its worth mine has the new style slide stop. Hope to make it to the range in the next day or two and try out the different ammo, will update.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:14:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Glock changed slide stop styles and GS bullets are fat, you probably have the old style. Less than 2 minutes w/ a dremell and problem solved or Glock will probably send a new one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Confirming there is already an updated slide stop for the G42?

Ive been waiting to buy until the bugs are worked out.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:29:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pics in G42 Range Report page 3 here.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:32:31 PM EDT
[#20]
More trouble with mine. Born on date of March 2014 with new style slide stop. Had one malfunction with 13 rounds of Fiocchi FMJ. Tried a box of Golden Sabers today and damn near every round caused the slide to lock open with rounds in the mag. Tried a box of Hydra Shoks and no problems. So far this thing has given me more trouble than every other handgun I've ever owned, including six different Kahrs.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:46:44 PM EDT
[#21]
so is glock going to send people new slide locks? both of mine are old style. born on 03/24/14 and 3/23/2014
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:53:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Silent recall?
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:57:55 PM EDT
[#23]
I've also had issues with mine. I only have about 150 rounds through it. American Eagle would not feed at all reliably. Fiochi worked fine, Hydra-Shoks worked fine. I'd feel more comfortable with my wife carrying it if I knew it would eat certain rounds reliably, but 150 isn't much of a sample size.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 9:10:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Bought one last week, no problems so far using WWB FMJ, 90 gr Speer GD, and Barnes 80 gr HP.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 9:42:01 PM EDT
[#25]
I've shot six different 42s new out of the box.  They all had malfunctions with Federal white box range ammo.  They all ran fine with MagTech.  

These guns like stiff ammo.  The powder puff stuff doesn't do it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:55:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Took mine to the range today.  Date on shell casings is 3/25.  I have had it about 5 days and prior to the range trip I left in my safe with the slide locked back.  I read on Glocktalk that this helped with early malfunctions.   It ate 50 rounds of Blazer Brass with ease. No malfunctions.  Still have to find some hollowpoint ammo but everywhere I go .380 is dried up.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:08:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have just over 1000 rounds through my 42. The slide failed to lock back once. My buddy shot it with the same ammo and had several malfunctions. I could run same ammo without any issues. I have used a lot of different ammo without any malfunctions. My buddy is approximately 6'4" and did not appear to be limp-wristing the gun. I called a couple buddies over to help me watch and we believe his hands were so big that a thumb/finger was rubbing against the slide. Had him change his grip and no more malfunctions. However, he claims his digit never once touched the slide.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:03:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Put 50 rounds of Blazer Brass through mine today. Zero malfunctions!
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:03:07 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Took mine to the range today.  Date on shell casings is 3/25.  I have had it about 5 days and prior to the range trip I left in my safe with the slide locked back.  I read on Glocktalk that this helped with early malfunctions.   It ate 50 rounds of Blazer Brass with ease. No malfunctions.  Still have to find some hollowpoint ammo but everywhere I go .380 is dried up.
View Quote
What would that do?  Springs are supposed to wear from cycling (compress then release, compress then release) not from just sitting AFAIK

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:51:53 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I have just over 1000 rounds through my 42. The slide failed to lock back once. My buddy shot it with the same ammo and had several malfunctions. I could run same ammo without any issues. I have used a lot of different ammo without any malfunctions. My buddy is approximately 6'4" and did not appear to be limp-wristing the gun. I called a couple buddies over to help me watch and we believe his hands were so big that a thumb/finger was rubbing against the slide. Had him change his grip and no more malfunctions. However, he claims his digit never once touched the slide.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats a thought as my thumb dose ride on the slide most of the time.

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:49:15 AM EDT
[#31]
I had malfunctions every mag with mine using Federal .380 range ammo. When I tried the Hornady Hollow Points (dont remember the name, the ones with the red filling in the HP cavity) it worked 100%. I think they can be picky on range ammo. I haven't found any range ammo to shoot with it since sadly.

I don't have it in front of me, but I believe mine was born in December of 13. Bought it Jan 20 something.

For those of us with the old style slide stops, should we try contacting Glock to see if they'll send new ones?
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:53:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Mine has functioned well with four different ammo brands, including my reloads. BOD of 3/29/14

Absolutely would not cycle PPU 94gr. FMJ. Very underpowered. Fired cases stayed in chamber. Box flap shows date? of 1013.  I've also had PPU 147gr. 9mm that would not cycle a Glock.

Accuracy of gun is amazing!! The wife will be pleased when she gets it in her hands.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 4:11:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Made it to the range today and put 50 rounds of priv fmj and 50 rounds of Winchester fmj. No malfunction of any kind. I think i will buy another box of lawman and try it again. Nice shooting gun, kept 9 out of 10 shots on a 6" plate at 25 yards. Will keep testing.

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:24:14 PM EDT
[#34]

Does anyone have pictures of both slide stops?  Just curious as to the difference between the two versions.

TIA
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:56:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Does anyone have pictures of both slide stops?  Just curious as to the difference between the two versions.

TIA
View Quote

Page 5, G42 range report, sorry computer skills lacking.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:24:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TIA

Thanks Daisycutter
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top