Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/8/2013 3:07:06 PM EDT
Getting the base plates off of the smaller mags is a bi#%*.  I am using a c-clamp to slightly squeeze the sides while using a punch to tap off the base plate.  Any other suggestions?

Link Posted: 12/8/2013 3:09:54 PM EDT
[#1]
There are some good tutorials on youtube.

Link Posted: 12/8/2013 3:25:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Always been pretty easy for me. Pinch sides of the mag about plate use a pin or something to push in the detention in middle of base plate and then slide off.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 3:34:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry auto correct got me about was suppose to say above and detention was suppose to say detent
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 3:34:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Get a glock disassemble tool shove it all the way in the whole in the base plate and push the baseplate forward.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 5:28:57 PM EDT
[#5]
It's weird the first couple I did seemed impossible now they seem easy.  I just hold it and push in and down with a punch.  After it pops make sure you put thumb over bottom as you slide plate off so spring doesn't fly off.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 5:35:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm sure theres a video showing it better than I can explain....

push in lockpin, squeeze sides, push corner of baseplate into floor/counter top.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 5:48:39 PM EDT
[#7]
It takes about 30 seconds to remove the base plates and install the new ones.  Just push in the pin and push the old base plate off.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:07:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It takes about 30 seconds to remove the base plates and install the new ones.  Just push in the pin and push the old base plate off.
View Quote

Very helpful
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:19:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Get a glock disassemble tool shove it all the way in the whole in the base plate and push the baseplate forward.
View Quote

This is the best way to do it.  

After you push the tool all the way in the hole in the bottom of the magazine.
Hold the magazine on the edge of a table, with the baseplate hanging of the edge.  Push down on the tool and you will feel it click when the teeth on the baseplate disengage.  Then you can just use your thumb to push it off the rest of the way, being careful to maintain the spring.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:59:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Hold the magazine on the edge of a table, with the baseplate hanging of the edge.  Push down on the tool and you will feel it click when the teeth on the baseplate disengage.  Then you can just use your thumb to push it off the rest of the way, being careful to maintain the spring.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is exactly what I do.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 4:41:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is what they teach at the Glock armorer "school"
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 1:11:11 PM EDT
[#12]
This

This is what I use
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 2:23:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

It is not that easy my friend. I have actually elongated the hole in the base plate doing this.  With smaller mags, ie: G30, 26, 27, the flexibility of the mag is not that great, so using the c-clamp method seems to be the best, based on what I have been doing for 15+ years and what YouTube says.

Thanks for the replies

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 2:46:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I've only seen one youtube video that showed the proper procedure, I've seen more that showed the way you mention.... which is wrong.... at least according to Glock.

"Inserting the pin punch as far as possible through the hole in the floor plate will fully depress the insert and "unlock" the floor plate.  Leaving the pin punch in place, pull forward on the punch handle moving the floor plate forward slightly."

I find this to be by far the easiest and fastest way to remove the base plates.

Also found that using the edge of my bench/table even easier.

Place the front (portion of mag that faces trigger) of the magazine flat on a bench/tables, magazine base plate removal direction will be in the direction of the floor, and the base plate should hang off the edge of bench/table.  Insert tool as described, this will dislodge the insert.... with tool inserted entirely (handle should be up against the base plate)..... push down on the handle in the direction of the floor.

Done.... you can now spend your free time educating all your Glock owning friends

~g
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 3:22:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hole
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 6:28:45 PM EDT
[#16]
5 second task, using the Glock disassembly tool.

how to
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 9:20:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Turn magazine upside down,put a 3/16 punch in the baseplate hole, grip the punch with four fingers, put thumb on the front of the magazine body under the baseplate, grip other part of magazine with the other hand and pull punch towards the front while putting pressure in the opposite direction with your thumb, POP! They pop right off every time no matter what capacity the mags are and takes only a few seconds to do.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 3:00:02 AM EDT
[#18]
OK, I do see the technique, using the thumb and pushing the mag backwards with the tool or punch fully inserted to get maximum leverage...I guess what started my question was the smaller mags, I do not have as much of an issue with my 21, 19, 17 mags.

I have two more 30 mags coming in from Midway this week and will be installing Pearce grips on them.

Thanks for the replies.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:05:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This

This is what I use
View Quote

BINGO! love mine.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:13:22 PM EDT
[#20]

It's too easy to waste money on a tool.

A #1 Phillips screw driver works for me. The plate slides off in the same direction that rounds feed out of the mag.

Squeezing might not be a good idea with the metal lining inside. I never have to. And good luck squeezing a 10 round G30 mag or a G36 mag as you can't even get close to the locking tabs to do any good due to the wrap-around of the base plate.

ETA: This is what I use
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:44:30 PM EDT
[#21]
OK. 2 Glock 30mags came in today, used a combination of the techniques described above, did not use my c-clamp method and these things are a SOB to get off.  I tore one of the bag bases, deep elongation of the hole in the base plate, cannot be used.  Ended  up using a punch on the back side of the base and tapping it off with a hammer, further damaging it beyond use....

I am a strong stout man, gots me a lot of strength, so my first posting is accurate, these things are a bitch to remove...I have taking guns apart and repairing/upgrading for 40 years, so it is not inexperience...

Like I said, not an issue with the larger mags, G21-17-19

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:00:56 PM EDT
[#22]
I did a dozen brand new G30 mags with nothing but a Glock tool and my thumb.  No squeezing of the sides or anything.

If you are having problems you are likely over thinking the process and doing something wrong.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top