Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2012 10:20:02 AM EDT
I have a Gen 4 Glock 19.  I have a trigger reset issue.  When I hold the trigger back and rack the slide to reset it, the slide does not travel all the way forward.  I have fully stripped this pistol.  Maybe I made a mistake somewhere?

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:25:08 AM EDT
[#1]
If Im just being paranoid let me know
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:37:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Are you riding the slide down, or letting it fly? Ran any rounds through it yet?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:44:14 AM EDT
[#3]
So, if I can ask a dumb question, why would you hold the trigger back when you rack the slide?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:51:55 AM EDT
[#4]
To simulate the slide racking when the gun goes bang?  It's how I shoot. I don't slap the trigger, gun goes bang, slide cycles, I let the trigger out just enough to reset, pull it again.  Is that not propped trigger control?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:54:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I've put 100 rounds through and I do not ride the slide.  When not holding the trigger back it resets normally.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:01:28 AM EDT
[#6]

Glocks are not target pistols. No reason to hold trigger back and the rack slide.
Unless you want to break something.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:02:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Could be your gen 4 spring but i dont know to much about gen4's so contact glock, cause the pics dont look right. When your dry fire, cycle, and rest it should be just like when your shooting.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:03:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Glocks are not target pistols. No reason to hold trigger back and the rack slide.

Seriously? How would that break something.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:07:21 AM EDT
[#9]
I know a 19 isn't a target pistol, but that doesn't mean I have to slap the trigger like a five year old having a tantrum.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:07:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Please stop posting.

OP - will it go into battery if you give it a slap? If you're letting the slide fly and it's stopping there then Id say something is wrong. I only have gen3s but have never seen that problem.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:09:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Glocks are made to be shot that way and if you don't use the trigger reset in a Glock you are at a disadvantage.  And why can't a Glock be used for target shooting??
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:11:57 AM EDT
[#12]
No it won't seat until I let the trigger out.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:12:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I know a 19 isn't a target pistol, but that doesn't mean I have to slap the trigger like a five year old having a tantrum.

Lol hickok45 shoots his 23 at 230yards id say it can can hold its own as a target pistol in the right hands. Are you going to contact glock or maybe bring it into a gunsmith to look at.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:15:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
To simulate the slide racking when the gun goes bang?  It's how I shoot. I don't slap the trigger, gun goes bang, slide cycles, I let the trigger out just enough to reset, pull it again.  Is that not propped trigger control?

That is the correct way to do it.

Quoted:

You do in fact want and need to know where your trigger reset is. Whether for accuracy or speed.  If something as simple as this could break a Glock I wouldn't own them.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:22:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
No it won't seat until I let the trigger out.

Sounds like you may have reassembled wrong. I'd take it apart and start again.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:31:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Very possible I will look again.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:53:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Possible source of issue? The firing pin safety plug thingy was reluctant to come out and now the spring is stuck in the slide horizontally...trying to get the spring out without trashing it.

ETA that spring was horizontal when I pulled the safety plug the spring was already separated from the plug and horizontal in the cavity.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:01:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

.  I've done this thousands of times.  What do you think happens during live fire?

OP.  I think you reassembled something wrong.  I would start over.  Look at some you tube videos.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:29:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks guys, she's fixed.  Apparently the safety plunger thingy's spring is supposed to sort of lock in to it and I didn't do that last night.  Oops.  Thanks for tolerating a Glock noob.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:35:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Thanks guys, she's fixed.  Apparently the safety plunger thingy's spring is supposed to sort of lock in to it and I didn't do that last night.  Oops.  Thanks for tolerating a Glock noob.

Why did field strip it that far?

How do you like that vickes slide release too?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:42:24 PM EDT
[#21]
I stripped it that far because I feel you should know everything you can about your fire arms.  

The vickers enhanced slide release is pretty much perfect.  It gives you just enough surface to actuate the slide release comfortably with out being bulky or akward. I got to handle it, the Glock factory extended and one more option before I bought it and for me it was the best.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:48:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I stripped it that far because I feel you should know everything you can about your fire arms.  

The vickers enhanced slide release is pretty much perfect.  It gives you just enough surface to actuate the slide release comfortably with out being bulky or akward. I got to handle it, the Glock factory extended and one more option before I bought it and for me it was the best.

Yea i agree i striped it down once and have not done it ever since. I'll have to pick up that slide release too.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:50:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:05:17 PM EDT
[#24]
This kind of thing is exactly why I tell people to not do detail strips! They almost always cause more problems than solutions. Use this as a lesson if the gun works refrain from going beyond routine field strip!
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:09:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:14:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Glad you figured it out OP, do not listen to the drivel, you are doing it right.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:23:42 PM EDT
[#27]
My question may have sounded dumb, but the way I was always taught racking the slide with your finger on the trigger is how accidents happen!
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:34:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
My question may have sounded dumb, but the way I was always taught racking the slide with your finger on the trigger is how accidents happen!

He is doing dry fire.  As long as proper safety precautions are taken it is fine.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:49:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
This kind of thing is exactly why I tell people to not do detail strips! They almost always cause more problems than solutions. Use this as a lesson if the gun works refrain from going beyond routine field strip!

I made small fixable mistake. Its fixed, every one is happy, relax.

Just bask in the glow of this long time Glock hater buying his first Glock.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:55:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Glad you got it.

Being the odd duck that I am.... I shoot 1911s and Glocks.  Weird, I know.  But hey, it works!  

Oh, they're like 1911s.  They tend to multiply.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:57:06 PM EDT
[#31]
And for the record the pistol was unloaded and verified by my wife and the magazines were on the back porch.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:04:37 PM EDT
[#32]
As a newly certified Glock armorer, and a Glock aficianado, there's nothing wrong with what you are doing. Dry fire practice that way helps you learn the trigger reset.

I don't recommend tearing it down that far, unless you've got a good manual or video to assist with puting it back together. Sounds like you corrected the problem, good for you.

Glocks are very forgiving, reliable, and robust. One has to work pretty hard to screw them up. Much was cussed and discussed about the Gen 4 spring issues. It seems most issues have been addressed and fixed.

<––-daily carries a Colt 1911, but loves my Glock 22 as well.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:09:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Glad you got it.

Being the odd duck that I am.... I shoot 1911s and Glocks.  Weird, I know.  But hey, it works!  

Oh, they're like 1911s.  They tend to multiply.  

I am very much a 1911 man, but I will confess Glocks do have their own advantages.

The videos I had watched before I caused this issue didn't mention that spring locking in and I found a better more detailed one after starting this thread.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:29:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
And for the record the pistol was unloaded and verified by my wife and the magazines were on the back porch.

Out of curiosity, why did your wife verify?  Not trying to be rude, genuinely curious...

And welcome to Glock!  I have picked up a few recently too!
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:32:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Just cleared the chamber and had her check, shes kinda new so Im teaching her good habits.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:36:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Double tap
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:50:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It's easy to do, lol. I put my slide on wrong one time, missed a rail or something and just about freaked out when the gun was locked up. Calmed down and got her apart, everything was fine.

Havn't tried the Vickers slide release yet, I'm pretty happy with the Glock one but I do want to try his mag release. My Gen 3 has an extended one in it that works great but I put a Glock extended mag release in my Gen 2 and it sticks out way too much for me, the Vickers seems to be a perfect medium.

And as has been stated above, I do the exact same thing with my Glocks many times during dry fire practice. Holding the trigger to the rear while runnng the slide is the only way to practice and get used to where the trigger resets besides shooting live ammo. I do this with all my semi automatics both to function test and practice trigger reset. You're good to go.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:38:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Glocks do not use slide releases...they use a slide lock....if you want to release the slide pull it back and sling shot it
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:45:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Glocks do not use slide releases...they use a slide lock....if you want to release the slide pull it back and sling shot it

Hmmm...mine locks it and can release. No harm in doing it either way. How do I know? Because I do it all the time and the gun has NEVER had any kind of malfunction. Now, I am more a fan of the sling shot method, but it can be done either way.

OP....glad you got it figured out. I bought a glock book that goes step by step in detail w/ pictures, in how to assemble and disassemble the entire gun. I agree with you, it really helps to know how the gun works, by taking it apart and putting it back together.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:00:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmm...mine locks it and can release. No harm in doing it either way. How do I know? Because I do it all the time and the gun has NEVER had any kind of malfunction. Now, I am more a fan of the sling shot method, but it can be done either way.

OP....glad you got it figured out. I bought a glock book that goes step by step in detail w/ pictures, in how to assemble and disassemble the entire gun. I agree with you, it really helps to know how the gun works, by taking it apart and putting it back together.

I did not say it can't be done! I am also a Glock armorer and trust me it is a slide LOCK not a release! Hence why glock made it so unobtrusive!
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:58:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did not say it can't be done! I am also a Glock armorer and trust me it is a slide LOCK not a release! Hence why glock made it so unobtrusive!

Call it what you will, it functions as both. Terminology means shit to me.

If its the extended version what do YOU call it? I see it listed as both a stop and a release online.

Like I said, I prefer the sling shot method, but what advantage is there over using the slide stop to release the slide? I've used both methods and both work every time.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:42:34 AM EDT
[#42]
LOL...I call it a slide lock on a Glock...I call it slide release on all my other pistols...
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:32:07 PM EDT
[#43]
I am an ignorant heathen glock hater, I call it a slide release and I will continue to call it such.  Pressing it downward RELEASES it from the state of being locked to the rear.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top