Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/14/2002 9:54:28 AM EDT

From my brothers Email....

"Went to the range today. Went from shooting target to doing rapid fire center mass shooting. 3rd shoot went bang a litle loud and I could see a fair amout of smoke and debris fly from the gun. The case ruptured and blew the mag out of the bottom of the gun, as well as breaking the slide release and mag release. The mag release slammed into my right hand hard enough to make it go a little numb. Barrel, slide, frame all seem to have no damage. Mag only some minor damage but will be usable. Round that was below it got a dented case as well as a nice chunk in the bullet. "
---------------------------------------------

Ouch!!

Link Posted: 4/14/2002 12:04:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Any info on the ammo used?
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 11:41:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd like any info that you come across as well.

I wonder just what the ratio of Kb's is?????

I've considered replacing the barrel in my 27 but am becoming even more hesitant to reload .40s&w's for it....

Also, i've heard of the possibility of some firing out of battery. I wonder what conditions would cause that. I read "not well maintained" I assumed not well cleaned. I am very thorough with ALL of my guns.....

Hmmmmm........
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 11:54:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Even though the gun is still in one piece I would suggest having it checked by Glock,Inc.

The pictures i've seen of ones that did explode had damage to the trigger mechanism as well as the parts you have mentioned.

There could be some damage like a fracture or bent parts.

I would also suggest telling them what ammo was used so that they can contact the manufacturer. In some cases they will split the cost with the ammo manufacturer or issue an alert if this ammo proves to be a problem and/or defective.
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 3:23:05 PM EDT
[#4]
This isn't a KB. It is a case failure. The gun didn't blow up, the case ruptured and that broke some of the small (weaker) parts of the gun.

Real KBs give you ruptured barrels or chambers, slides seperated from the frame, and fames broken beyond repair.

What you had was an ammo problem, not a gun problem. There are other designs on the market that have unsupported chambers at the 6 0'cloock position and this round would have probably done the same thing in those guns.
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 6:54:18 PM EDT
[#5]
My Glock 22 was made in '90 with no "upgrades". I had one round that didn't chamber during a string of shots. Smacked the rear of slide...no go. Extracted and saved the factory round and went on shooting. Doing some measuring, it was slightly longer brass, any shorter it may have fired, but it was just out of battery enough not to. I dont think my G22 could even fire out of battery or it would have done it that time, you would think. I'm glad your brother wasn't seriously injured, bottom line.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 8:37:09 AM EDT
[#6]
"This isn't a KB. It is a case failure. The gun didn't blow up, the case ruptured and that broke some of the small (weaker) parts of the gun.

Real KBs give you ruptured barrels or chambers, slides seperated from the frame, and fames broken beyond repair.

What you had was an ammo problem, not a gun problem. There are other designs on the market that have unsupported chambers at the 6 0'cloock position and this round would have probably done the same thing in those guns."

That may be the case, but there is a reason many of choose to only purchase weapons with fully supported chambers.  Bad ammo or not, this would not have happened in a HK USP or Sig 229.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 6:16:10 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

From my brothers Email....

"Went to the range today. Went from shooting target to doing rapid fire center mass shooting. 3rd shoot went bang a litle loud and I could see a fair amout of smoke and debris fly from the gun. The case ruptured and blew the mag out of the bottom of the gun, as well as breaking the slide release and mag release. The mag release slammed into my right hand hard enough to make it go a little numb. Barrel, slide, frame all seem to have no damage. Mag only some minor damage but will be usable. Round that was below it got a dented case as well as a nice chunk in the bullet. "
---------------------------------------------

Ouch!!

I'd suggest your brother get in touch with Dean Speir over at www.thegunzone.com.  He's keeping a database of Glock KB's, and would probably appreciate the opportunity to document another incident.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 7:18:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Just a follow up. Both brother and pistol are doing fine. A trip to the gun shop and a 10 dollar repair and its back shooting again.

"Think I figured out what happened. The sig round is a little picky. The batch that I had the kb in I didn't go back and check every round to see that it chambered good. Think that the round hung up a little from being fully seated but in enough to lock.When I fired it it blew out the exposed case over the feedramp. Glock claims this barrel fully supported. The bottleneck case let them put more metal back on the feedramp compared to a .40 . I still don't think its a fully supported chamber you can still see part of the case where the ramp is. I was running farily mild loads. Speer manual shows 7.2 to 8.0 grains of unique powder. I was running 7.7. Should have the glock back in action eitehr today or tomarrow. Parts should be around 9 to 20 dollars depending on if I get a standard or extended slide stop."

BTW Ken, I could not get the link to work.

Link Posted: 5/25/2002 10:15:55 PM EDT
[#9]
RELOADS

I have not seen a KB in a Glock that was not ammo related. It seems to always be reloads or some really stupid moron shooting lead in his factory barrel.

I reload cartridges my self.  I have had case ruptures before...  almost always in older M-1911A1's

I have never had a failure in my Glock 20.
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 2:55:46 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
RELOADS

I have not seen a KB in a Glock that was not ammo related. It seems to always be reloads or some really stupid moron shooting lead in his factory barrel.

I reload cartridges my self.  I have had case ruptures before...  almost always in older M-1911A1's

I have never had a failure in my Glock 20.

Ammen Brother.

Oh Yeah Welcome Spyder

Sounds like you Know a little about
the Mighty GLOCK .
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 6:49:10 AM EDT
[#11]
YOUR RELOAD CAUSE THE PROBLEM NOT GLOCK.40 AUTO AND 375 SIG ARE VERY HARD TO RELOAD RIGHT. THESE TWO ROUNDS ARE VERY TIGHT ON SPEC LIKE SEAT DEPTH ON BULLET MUST BE CHECKED. IT WILL RAISE THE SAMI HIGH. THAT IS WAY I DO NOT RELOAD 3CENTS OR 5 CENTS IS NOT WORTH YOUR HAND. BY THE WAY. GLOCK TEST THERE 375 SIG BARRELS WITH DOUBLE LOADS THAT WHAT THE MARK ARE AND THE BARREL.SHOW ME ONE GLOCK THAT HAS KB ON EVEN +P+ LOADS. THAT ONE WEB PAGE THAT SHOW THE KB WAS A USED GUN. HOW DO THEY PROVE THAT THE GUY THAT HAD OWN IT BEFORE DIDN'T CRACK SOME THING WITH HIS WAY OVER LOAD RELOADS I HAVE A 19, 27 22,31,21 THEY ALL WORK GREAT
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 12:32:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Knowing my experiences with the .357 Sig, this could be a setback issue.
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 10:43:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Actually this is from my pistol. This round came from a factory barrel which didn't give that much support on the 6 oclock. I was doing hammer drills, so round may have also fired at the the very earliest before the barrel fully locked up. Glocks will shoot when barrel is rising into the slide for lock up. Third factor involved was the powder charge. 7.7 grains of unique if I remember correctly. Previous brass had been showing pressure signs of primer flattening. What I missed because the previous few cases flew forward on the range was that the bottom of the cases where developing smiley faces over the feed ramp. Since going to a KKM barrel all problems went away. Better chamber support over the feed ramp, plus standard rifling which lowers some chamber pressure. Still like unique for mid range loads, for hot loads I like AA#9 in the 12.7 to 13 grain range.
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 10:13:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Unique is too fast for 357 sig.

Look at the loads posted on the net and most are using AA7, AA9, Longshot, and slow pistol powders.

And of all of glock's barrels, the 357 sig barrels are close to being fully supported.

And the vast majority of kabooms and case failures occur in factory ammo.  We reloaders take a lot of care not to have a kaboom.  but then again, we shoot in a month what many shoot in a year, so we may see problems other don't.

But I reload for half the price of factory so I shoot twice as much and get the corresponding skill advancement due to more time on the trigger.

and reloading bottlenecked cases like 357 sig is a little slower but not harder.  I can only do about 400 an hour on my dillon 550 compared to 650 rounds and hour of 9mm, 40SW, or 45 ACP or straight walled cases.

But i'd rather KNOW what's in my chamber than place a bullet made by a guy in a third world country who can't read into my chamber.  Lots of that third world ammo has failed on people BTW.

TEHO!

Link Posted: 8/30/2002 10:21:19 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd check with Glock on that 90 G22.  i should be due for several upgrades - FREE - but you'll have to send to Glock or find a CGA.

In 1995, they upgarded the feed ramp on the G20 barrels.  i got to swap a 1994 barrel for a 2001 barrel compliments of glock.

Check.
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 9:19:15 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm in the process of putting KKM barrels in all my Glocks.  The Glock factory barrels are just to hard on brass if you reload, especially in the 40SW.  I have KKM's in my G20 and my G23.  No reliability issues with either.  They function 100%.

A side note.  If it has a feed ramp it is not 100% or fully supported.  Some have more support than others but a feed ramp always cuts into the chamber some.  The KKM barrels have plenty of support.  I don't see any bulged cases like it did with the Glock barrels.
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 1:13:13 PM EDT
[#17]
I have seen quite a few "kb's" in the glock .357 chamberings this has mostly been due to the rechambering of the first round in the magazine.The bullet is pushed a little futher into the case and this increases the pressure on this already high pressure cartridge.The most severe case blew out the right side are above the trigger,the shooter was using Federal factory ammo.heavy.gif
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 3:09:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Been there done that. I bought some .357 Sig from Maine Cartridge Co. a couple of years back and had the same thing happen. When that baby went it blew the mag right out of the gun and cracked the frame. Left a nice powder burn on my thumb too. The cost I saved in ammo (so I thought) turned into a new lower half from Glockmeister at $155 exchanged and taking a total bath on the ammo. Stick to the real factory stuff like Speer Lawman or Gold Dot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top