Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2012 12:00:18 AM EDT
My local dealer has a batch of police trade in 17's and they all have only one pin through the frame above the trigger. I thought all 3rd gens had 2 pins??? Anyone know the history on this? Is the single pin weaker then a 2 pin gun or vice versa? Are there any pros or cons to it? He is asking $359 for them and they are in good shape still. Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 12:37:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Glock used the 9mm frame until 2002 when they started using the .40 frame for all small frame calibers.

There's nothing wrong with it.

Link Posted: 2/9/2012 5:54:28 AM EDT
[#2]
For 9mm, there is no problem with the two pin frames (single pin above the trigger, one in the rear). There are LOTS o documented reports of these early frame styles going 100,000, 200,000 and more rounds without significant breakage or problems.

The problem came with the introduction of the .40 Glocks. Glock tried the two pin frames for the .40 and had problems, so they went with the three pin frames, which work well. It just took them a while to make the transition to the three pin frames for the 9mm. I'm kinda surprised it took them as long as it did; they had to make two different frames for the same sized guns in 9mm and .40/.357 versus just one frame for all three, which simplifies manufacturing.

Bottom line- in 9mm, the two pin frames are just fine and will last a LONG time. Buy with confidence. At that price, assuming they aren't beat to hell, I'd buy at least a couple.

Bub75
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 1:26:09 PM EDT
[#3]
i have a 2 pin gen3, and its a tack driver.  i would not hesitate if the deal is right for you.

and this:

Quoted: Buy with confidence.
Bub75

Link Posted: 2/9/2012 2:27:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I put over 10k rounds of my reloads through a two-pin gen 2, before the slide cracked.  Glock gave me a new slide with all internals, except the barrel, and sold me a gen 3 frame for $43.  I'm a happy camper.
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 10:44:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I went to buy one today and noticed the inside of the slides had peening on both sides below the ejection port. Thinking it was a problem and not normal I passed on buying one. After looking this problem up it seems peening is normal and not a problem. I'll probably go back tomorrow and buy one now. Is there anything I should look for for signs of excessive wear or problems on these used police guns?
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 3:48:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I went to buy one today and noticed the inside of the slides had peening on both sides below the ejection port. Thinking it was a problem and not normal I passed on buying one. After looking this problem up it seems peening is normal and not a problem. I'll probably go back tomorrow and buy one now. Is there anything I should look for for signs of excessive wear or problems on these used police guns?

Unless the frame is broken and/or the finish on the slide and barrel are messed up, then there's nothing to worry about.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 4:24:14 AM EDT
[#7]
SkagSig40, while it's true that the slides do peen, the peening should be very minor in 9mm. As long as the peening is minor, go for it! Other than the regular checks when buying a used gun (slide and frame cracks, excessive wear or peening anywhere, the usual checks), you should be good to go. The only thing I'd caution you about is that, since you have no idea how many rounds have been run through them, is to replace the recoil spring before shooting much. Other than that, it should be good to go. Make sure and post pics if you get one.

Bub75
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 9:48:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
SkagSig40, while it's true that the slides do peen, the peening should be very minor in 9mm. As long as the peening is minor, go for it! Other than the regular checks when buying a used gun (slide and frame cracks, excessive wear or peening anywhere, the usual checks), you should be good to go. The only thing I'd caution you about is that, since you have no idea how many rounds have been run through them, is to replace the recoil spring before shooting much. Other than that, it should be good to go. Make sure and post pics if you get one.

Bub75

From the many threads about the peening it said that all Glocks will peen in that area and only peen so far till it stops. They had about 6 17's left and all of them looked exactly the same. I'm going to check my 17 but it only has about 1,500 rounds through it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 11:08:03 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd pick out a nice one, take it home, clean it, lube it, then shoot it.  If it's ejecting brass farther than about 8', then get a new recoil spring assembly.  Otherwise, I install Agrip and aftermarket 3.5# connectors in my Glocks, including my daily-carry G26.  

The number of rounds fired by that Glock is pretty much irrelevant.  (I don't believe that cops make enough $$ to buy enough ammo to make a difference!)
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 9:40:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I picked up this one today. The shop owner tried to talk me out of buying it because of the peening. He is convinced it means the gun is worn out and has problems. I did not try to inform him the truth and just told him it is a trunk gun and a beater. In reality I will carry it daily as soon as I test her out and make sure she is good to go. Here is a ton of pictures. How does it look. You can see just about every part of the gun and the peening. The pictures are just how the gun was when I bought it. I did clean it really well after these pictures were taken. The rifling has something that looks like pits or scratches or something along the top of the grooves. I have a new 19 that has these same spots and I sent in in to Glock and thy said the finish was coming off on the rifling and they see this from time to time and it is nothing to wory about and they consider with in spec. They sent my g19 barrel back after they explained this to me. They said the teffiner was still there and not worry and just shoot it. The rear sight has some rust that I got off and the rear bottom on the grip has a few dings and the edge of the rail has a dent you can see in one of the pictures. Other then that and some minor scratches it look to be in good shape to me. What do you guys think based on these pictures?

Link Posted: 2/11/2012 2:46:51 AM EDT
[#11]
It really looks pretty good to me. I've got a G17 with 1,400 rounds on it and the barrel wear looks the same. Yours has a little more peening, but that's no biggie.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 11:54:25 AM EDT
[#12]
There is nothing wrong with that gun. You don't normally see peening to that degree on a 9mm, but it is not excessive by any means.
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 10:04:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Absolutely normal.  Looks like you got a good one, it even has a functional set of steel sights already added (older Trijicons).  That's a forever Glock.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 10:32:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 12:38:32 AM EDT
[#15]
I tested her out at the range the other day. It shot really well and was 100% reliable. I used some Federal 115gr ball and mixed hollow points all in 124 and 147gr(Speer Gold Dots, Ranger T's, WWB Hollow Points and Remington Hollow points). Shot at 7 yards. The groups that were a tad low I was aiming with a 6 O'clock hold and the shot hit at 6 O'clock and the groups that hit on the 1 inch red circles were aimed dead center. I'm happy with the accuracy! I was worried a bit because the bore has a few rough spots but shoots awesome still:
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 10:58:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Dump for the day crew.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top