Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2012 8:23:17 AM EDT
I have a 3rd Gen G19 which I got into simply because everyone said I needed one.

I don't like the "hump" towards the bottom end of the grip...if that makes sense, therefore I never shoot / carry it.

G17's fit me like a glove (owned several over the years) and I got to shoot a Gen 4 G17 yesterday and pretty much fell in love.

I'd of loved to tryout a Gen 4 G19, but the store was out of them.

Does the new grip on the Gen 4 reduce the "hump" on it?

I like the G17 grip due to the placement of the "hump" it causes my hand to fit just right and points naturally. I am strongly considering picking up the G17 (gen4) and making it my everyday pistol (ccw/hd/range/etc..) but if the G19 (gen 4)  has better ergos I'd just roll that way.

Guess i need to hold one to find out and not ask here, but I figure some of you glock gurus would have an answer for me.

I went in to look at M&P's but handled the gen 4 for the first time....I'm going to stay glock.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:08:44 PM EDT
[#1]
let me rephrase this:

Does the Gen 4 Glock 19 have a better grip (with no additional back strap) than my current Gen 3?

I know I need to go hold one, but just wanted to know from those who own them.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:10:41 PM EDT
[#2]
yes

the mag release is nicer too.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:36:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
yes

the mag release is nicer too.

Thanks!

I decided last night in my sleep I would just get the 17 and dress around it for carry as "really" prefer it.

Plus half an inch isn't bad.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:21:10 PM EDT
[#4]
That's what I did with my g22.  I love the smaller grip of the gen 4, & it fits my hands great, but the 23 was just too short for all my fat fingers to stay put on it. So I carry the G22. I dress around the gun & honestly with some forward cant it's very concealable on my bigger frame. I wear t-shirts with no problem.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:16:24 PM EDT
[#5]
NO NO NO NO.

The gen4 grip does not reduce the hump.  I think the others didn't read it through.

What you CAN do, however, is cut the bottom of the M backstrap to do a quick grip reduction.  I did that and like it.

the other thing to note is that the Gen4 is skinnier side to side.  I notice the difference.  Others don't.

And since everyone will ask why there's tape on my grip, this is the end result:

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:43:08 PM EDT
[#6]
The funny thing to me is the 17 seems like a hump to me and the 19 doesn't. Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:02:44 PM EDT
[#7]
In my limited handling of the Gen 4 19 the hump seems less noticeable.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:33:00 AM EDT
[#8]
The hump is there, but the reduced size front to back of the grip with no backstrap reduces the feel of it to many.  In my hands it's a big difference.  We are all different, someone else may not notice it as much.    If I could trust a gen 4 G17, I'd replace my gen 3 G17. But I don't trust the gen 4 9mm.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top