Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2011 4:40:19 PM EDT
So i had a few questions about cleaning my glock

1. I purchased Hoppes, Rem Oil and some patches and i thought that the Hoppes was to innitially clean the gun (am i right??). Then i figured the rem oil was used to lubricate. But when i sprayed the rem oil it seemed too thin to actually do any lubricating. so i dont really understand what products are used for what and i just want to clean my guns the right way.

2. ive watched a couple vids on cleaning and i know that you have to clean the slide assembly but all the videos are different when it comes to how to clean the mechanism in the polymer part.

Thanks Guys
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 4:48:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Hoppe's is a powder fouling solvent.  Use it to clean your barrel, the slide where needed and around the area just behind the feed ramp in the frame.  Don't forget to pay special attention to the extractor.  Rem Oil is a little to thin for my tastes.  I like Breakfree CLP or Slip 2000.  Slip 2000 is very slick and stays in place.  A little goes a long way.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 4:50:51 PM EDT
[#2]
The only thing I use Hoppes for is to clean the barrel.  Run a wet patch, then dip the brush and run it, then run dry patches until there is minimal black seen.  Everything else I just use Q-tips to clean the carbon/debris off.  There is a chart for where to lube your Glock.
Lube Points
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 7:19:28 AM EDT
[#3]
you don't need to use solvents or much effort to clean the frame- use a few patches or rags to wipe the carbon and debris out of the areas you can get to, maybe some q-tips or pipe cleaners for the nooks and crannies. shouldn't take more than 90 seconds. very little oil is needed on a glock- the glock manual shows where to put a  SMALL amount of oil on the moving parts. the glock is known for having issues if too much oil gets in the firing pin channel in the slide and spraying a bunch of lube on the gun is a sure way to buy trouble. a few drops- I saturate a single tip of a q-tip- and that is plenty to lube all areas requriing it.. don't even really have to use much cleaning agent either. Don't think you have to clean it every range trip either- every 500 rounds or so is more than enough.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 9:57:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Hoppes for the bore, using it anywhere else is overkill, but won't hurt.  I prefer to use Slip 2000 for general cleaning and lubrication.  I am not a fan of remoil, it's way too thin and drys up.  The frame doesn't get that dirty, just keep it dry.  Lube per the diagram provided previously, 6 small drops is all you really need, try to keep lube out of the frame (with the exception of the very small drop where the trigger bar contacts the connector) and out of the slide openings.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 9:49:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I have been using breakfast to clean the barrel, slide and frame. Use qtips and a rag to get into all the nooks and crannies. I have started to use Mobil 1 to lube with No issues over several hundred rounds with my 3 glocks. Glocks need VERY LITTLE LUBE. underside of barrel, underside of slide where barrel makes contact , the barrel lug and a drop on each slide rail. A quart of Mobil one will last years
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:13:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have been using breakfast to clean the barrel, slide and frame. Use qtips and a rag to get into all the nooks and crannies.
Would that be bacon grease, egg yolks or egg whites? How about orange juice?
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:48:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have been using breakfast to clean the barrel, slide and frame. Use qtips and a rag to get into all the nooks and crannies.
Would that be bacon grease, egg yolks or egg whites? How about orange juice?

I refrained earlier.  Nice first post btw.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 12:34:58 PM EDT
[#8]
m-pro-7 & militec oil.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top