Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/19/2004 4:10:06 PM EDT

I've been thinking of trying a Saf-T-Block- what do you Glock guys think of using one for
in the pocket holster carry, as an added safety?

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:18:53 PM EDT
[#1]
pointless, and will probably hang up at the worst possible moment.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:55:00 PM EDT
[#2]
+1

Just one more thing to go wrong in a stressful situation, you would probably forget you had it in there as well when you needed your handgun the most.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:57:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Just use a holster that covers the trigger guard.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:08:58 PM EDT
[#4]
why not just never chamber a  round. put the mag in your other pocket. use the block, a holster with a thrumb break and put it in a ziplock bag. oh yeah don't forget the boxing gloves for your hands.

J
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:15:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
why not just never chamber a  round. put the mag in your other pocket. use the block, a holster with a thrumb break and put it in a ziplock bag. oh yeah don't forget the boxing gloves for your hands.

J

Thanks for the useless answer.

I did a search over at Glocktalk, and found alot more interesting pro and con answers, including
people who'd actually evaluated it, which is what I was looking for.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:32:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I used one for a while, just decided it was one more thing I had to do to make the gun work.  Had a couple of times where I would draw and then have to reposition my hand to get bloc out and reposition to shoot gun.  Just didn't work well for me.
Good luck
Chris
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:33:30 AM EDT
[#7]
One of the first things I learned when I began shooting handguns is that when you draw the gun, you index your finger somewhere on the frame of the gun, away from the trigger.  You only touch the trigger once you have a sight picture and you are comitted to firing.

The problem I see with the block is that you are actually touching the trigger area of the gun during the draw, which ruins the proper indexing technique.

A Glock is designed to only go boom when the trigger is pulled.  Get a pocket holster that covers the trigger guard, practice with it, and you are good to go.

Just my two cents.

Dave
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:43:29 AM EDT
[#8]
I really don't see any pros about it.  It's too dangerous to put your finger inside the trigger guard when you are not ready to fire and understress it could lead to an AD.  Those little things are an accident waithing to happen and are a solution to looking for a problem.   Get a holster that covers the trigger guard and practice, practice, practice drawing from your holster.  When done right your trigger finger should fall on the frame as you draw from your holster.  

Edited to add: I should have read the whole thread before I responded because CollegeCop said it best.

BTW, I believe Aim4MyHead was only joking...that's what the little means at the end.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:58:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:04:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
One of the first things I learned when I began shooting handguns is that when you draw the gun, you index your finger somewhere on the frame of the gun, away from the trigger.  You only touch the trigger once you have a sight picture and you are comitted to firing.

The problem I see with the block is that you are actually touching the trigger area of the gun during the draw, which ruins the proper indexing technique.

what he said
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:15:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

J

Thanks for the useless answer.

I did a search over at Glocktalk, and found alot more interesting pro and con answers, including
people who'd actually evaluated it, which is what I was looking for.

Wasn't useless if you could see through the humor and realize i was making a point.  One more step you have to worry about while trying to focus on saving your ass. You've obviously never had to draw a weapon on a person . The last thing you need is another step to make it work.

J
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:17:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Ok, you carry a loaded Glock in your pocket and tell me how good you feel.

Glocks are a very special case, unlike other guns with a lever safety, or even a DA trigger pull for
the first shot, if you want to carry in a pocket holster, a Glock is much more of a risk.

A conformal holster is obviously safe, but I'm looking for an in the pocket solution, and
the Saf-T-Block gadget seems faster than a lever safety, but not as good as a long DA trigger pull.

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:51:47 PM EDT
[#13]
if you are really wanting to carry in your pocket and dont want a pocket holster than i would suggest getting a gun with a button safety.  Like stated above the glock is made to go bang once the trigger is pulled, not after you disengage a button safety and then pull the trigger.  This is why i carry a g23 as my carry weapon.  The less things i have to remember or think about doing before i pull the trigger in a life or death situation the better.  I think the block is a bad idea.  Like mentioned before i too have learned that when i unholster my weapon or pick up any gun for any instance my trigger finger rides the slide or the frame outside of the trigger until my aim is on target and ready to fire.  I personally like the C Tac IWB holsters.  I would get a sidearmor 4th gen if they made it for left handers but they won't make it.  I have been on them for months about it so i took my business elsewhere.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:41:30 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Ok, you carry a loaded Glock in your pocket and tell me how good you feel.

Glocks are a very special case, unlike other guns with a lever safety, or even a DA trigger pull for
the first shot, if you want to carry in a pocket holster, a Glock is much more of a risk.

A conformal holster is obviously safe, but I'm looking for an in the pocket solution, and
the Saf-T-Block gadget seems faster than a lever safety, but not as good as a long DA trigger pull.

You have a 5 lbs trigger on your glock correct?  First off what sort of pants do you wear that allow you stick a non-holstered glock in your pocket WITHOUT printing? Secondly if you're afraid of something coming in contact with the trigger of your glock. DO NOT PUT ANYTHING IN THAT DAMN POCKET. Logic would lean towards not wanting anything in your pocket seeing how is you have to reach in there for a gun. And for my 3rd and final point... People have been stuffing 2" revolvers in their pockets for years, show me the safety on your standard revolver.

Buy an in-the-pocket holster and stop being afraid of your gun.

J
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:47:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:19:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Unlike most of the comments above, I have several Glocks, one in particular in my pants and it does have a Saf-T-block in it.

No it doesn't get in the way or hinder using the pistol in any way. In fact ya can't draw and position your trigger finger without it popping out (once your used to it) and having it land on the ground or floor, as it's designed to do.

As I carry daily, it is quite comforting to know it's there, IMO. Here's a few reasons why I use it.

1. I'm an NRA licensed Instructor and SAFETY is a primary concern. I don't want folks seeing me toting a pistol like the Glock without some form of safety item, considering the way in which I carry it at times.

2. Should someone unfamilar or even familar with the G17, 19, 21, 30 somehow get a hold of one my pistols, unaware that it's there, it might actually hinder them in using the pistol, never a bad thing IMO.

3. Ya don't have to worry about "anything" snagging the trigger when carrying in an unorthodox manner as I do on occassion.

4. It dis-ables the ability to work the slide, futher confusing unauthorized use, even by those familar with Glocks.

5. It's MY pistol and as such works as I prefer it to, (see #2 & 4 above) even if it's strange or odd to some, getting shot with my own weapon IS NOT happening to me, if I can help it.

6. SAFETY is number one....., and although there are plenty of comments by those with strong opinions against them, MOST have never even tried one or they'd know this device sacifices nuthing at any point in it's use.

YMMV,
Mike
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:29:03 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Unlike most of the comments above, I have several Glocks, one in particular in my pants and it does have a Saf-T-block in it.

1. I'm an NRA licensed Instructor and SAFETY is a primary concern. I don't want folks seeing me toting a pistol like the Glock without some form of safety item, considering the way in which I carry it at times.

6. SAFETY is number one....., and although there are plenty of comments by those with strong opinions against them, MOST have never even tried one or they'd know this device sacifices nuthing at any point in it's use.

YMMV,
Mike

What does it matter if you're a licensed massage therapist or NRA instructor. Most have never  had to use a gun in self defense. Or had draw from a concealed holster to save your life. When you can unerstand the stress level that is involved with  this topic, i'll listen to what you think is a good idea. Adding more safety features on an already completely safe pistol is pointless. It's like having training wheels on a tricycle. This boils down to your comfort level with your abilities.

J
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:14:21 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
What does it matter if you're a licensed massage therapist or NRA instructor.

While it doesn't matter to you, to others it might have some bearing on this conversation.

Most have never had to use a gun in self defense. Or had draw from a concealed holster to save your life.

Your obsolutely correct, been there done that, yes both of 'em.

When you can unerstand the stress level that is involved with this topic, i'll listen to what you think is a good idea.

As an Instructor, I do understand the stress levels (see comments above). BTW, I care not what you think is a good idea, there are plenty here poo-pooing the use of them as you are allowed to do too. The difference between us is I didn't insinuate others were stupid or inexperienced with actual IRL gun combat use only that I doubted most had actually tried them. You assume I have no experience, and we both know what folks have to say about assumptions.....

Adding more safety features on an already completely safe pistol is pointless. It's like having training wheels on a tricycle. This boils down to your comfort level with your abilities.

Here again, your opinion while valid, reflects no sense of understanding for anyone else's point of view.

I never stated Glocks were "un-safe", (in fact several of my Glock holsters require no Saf-T-block, as noted above, the trigger's well protected) unfortunately the original poster has posed a non-standard holstered type pants carry question which doesn't fit the normal carry mode.  I happen to carry in all manner of ways, depending on the circumstances and thought he might be interested in hearing a different view-point. One which takes into account the fact that when used daily the item queried about has some valid uses IRL.

As to my abilities, I made/make no claims whatsoever (other than still being here) and center mass has always been good enough for me. If I want to drive tacks, I grab my rifle.......

Sorry to rain on your obvious parade, suggest ya get over it........, or perhaps a dump might help clear your thinkin processes some.  

Mike
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:16:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Use of that is an accident waiting to happen.

All your Glock need is a good holster. I prefer Kydex.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:26:06 AM EDT
[#20]
CTac's are great.  Adjustable cant and they make them for lefthanders (unlike sidearmor and there 4th gen holster)
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 12:20:09 PM EDT
[#21]
It is partially about your comfort level with the loaded pistol.  My opinion is if you want a pistol with a safety, buy a pistol with a safety.  Don't buy a pistol and then add this gizmo to it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 1:43:54 PM EDT
[#22]
I find it particularly disturbing an NRA instructor would advocate placing one's finger inside the trigger guard before one is 'ready to shoot'. You do have to do that to remove said 'safety', no?

"Safety" is not a product, it is a process.

I also wasn't aware the NRA handed out licenses.

Randy
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:36:13 PM EDT
[#23]
they will for the right amount of money. I've seen NRA instructors tell people GLOCKs were originally made of plastic and they changed the designed after people were sneaking them onto airplanes.

J
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:40:35 PM EDT
[#24]
What a joke. If you feel you need a trigger block, dont use a Glock. Get a gun with an external safety, or have one put on your Glock for $125.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top