Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2004 7:26:56 PM EDT
I bought a Glock 23 over the summer with 2 Glock post-ban mags (10 rounders).  After dumping them in the dust for a time, I decided to disassemble them to get all the accumulated crud out.  Surprise.  The base plate button will not depress far enough to allow the base plate to slide off, so I can’t take the damn things apart.

Is there a trick I’m missing.  I have taken other (non 23) Glock mags apart, pre and post ban, but these buttons simply will depress only about 1 mm and then stop cold.

Help?
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:41:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Are the magazines factory?  Are they factory baseplates?

Will the mags load all the way to full capacity?

Have you tried tapping the punch you're using with a nylon hammer (lightly) to try and dislodge any dirt or grime that may have accumulated inside?
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 4:49:28 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Are the magazines factory?  Are they factory baseplates?

Will the mags load all the way to full capacity?

Have you tried tapping the punch you're using with a nylon hammer (lightly) to try and dislodge any dirt or grime that may have accumulated inside?

Yes, they are Glock factory post-bans.

Yes, they will load to full capacity, 10 rounds.

I've tried tapping, pushing with a variety of punches, tapping and pushing at angles with various drift punches.  In short, everything short of breaking something, unless somebody has a better idea.

Also, the depth to which I can depress the release is remarkably consistent, indicating that this was a planned bit of manufacturing (a planned defect?).

[Sigh] Shall I call Smyrna?
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:54:36 AM EDT
[#3]
look at brownells.com...they have a tool that will remove the baseplate w/o depressing the plunger I think it cost 'bout $25 though
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:49:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I have never been able to get my 10 round G19 mags apart either. After much trying and cursing I gave up.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:57:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 5:35:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Piece of cake.

Push the armorer's tool (or similar sized punch) into the hole in the floor plate. Unlike the full capacity mags, where you push the punch straight into the bottom, you need to angle the punch towards the front of the mag. There will be some resistance from the insert (as you had noticed) - push the punch on in. Once the punch goes into the hole in the floor plate (moving the front of the insert out of the way) you can use the punch to pull the floor plate off.

I have a video detailing this operation for the full capacity mags, but not for the 10 rounders. I will put one together tomorrow if you are still not able to get it.

Randy

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:53:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Piece of cake.

Push the armorer's tool (or similar sized punch) into the hole in the floor plate. Unlike the full capacity mags, where you push the punch straight into the bottom, you need to angle the punch towards the front of the mag. There will be some resistance from the insert (as you had noticed) - push the punch on in. Once the punch goes into the hole in the floor plate (moving the front of the insert out of the way) you can use the punch to pull the floor plate off.

I have a video detailing this operation for the full capacity mags, but not for the 10 rounders. I will put one together tomorrow if you are still not able to get it.

Randy

Thanks for the info.  With this advice I figured out the technique and can now pull the base plates off, but it does appear to put some strain on the hole in the base plate.

Oh, well.

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:01:04 PM EDT
[#8]
After reading your thread, I went to the junk box and dug a couple out. I stripped a full capacity as well.

The limited capacity mag has a catch type latch thingy on the baseplate and mag, both sides. Makes it harder to pull the sliding plate off. The regular capicity mag has no such latch and slides right off.

Dont be scared to force the limited mag plate off, as it doesnt seem to be prone to break, I think its just the latches that are catching and giving you so much resistance.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:17:08 PM EDT
[#9]
they are indeed a pain to get off but i got them off in order to put on pearce grip extensions.  I used the glock punch tool and a hard surface.  Remember just insert the tool at an angle
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:36:27 PM EDT
[#10]
quickest way to remove a base pad is  get a small C clamp put a paper towel or rag between the clamp and magaize. Tighten the clamp and you will be able to pop the pad off easily.

J
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:46:39 PM EDT
[#11]
agreed, you need to squeeze the sides of the magazine.  You can do it by hand though.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:09:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
agreed, you need to squeeze the sides of the magazine.  You can do it by hand though.

the clamp allows the use of the other hand.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:21:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Go buy a few standard capacity mags and keep the 10 rounders as a reminder to get out and vote Nov. 2
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:29:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Go buy a few standard capacity mags and keep the 10 rounders as a reminder to get out and vote Nov. 2

AMEN
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:41:29 PM EDT
[#15]
No need for a C clamp or anything else beyond a pin punch.

This video is for the standard capacity mags - however, for the 10-rounders, just angle the armorer's tool towards the front of the mag and everything else is the same.

Randy
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:34:35 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

AMENhr

What exactly are you saying here.  I bought my glock 23 December of 2004 NIB.  Now the standard mags are the 10 rounders.  Unless you are referring to what was standard before the pan in 1994 which would have been the 13 rounders.

But just like that video shows it can be done.  At first i couldnt get it either but the trick is putting the punch in at an angle.  Do that and squeeze the mag and pull forward on the punch and you should get if off of there.  Try using the corner of a hard surface if need be.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 4:16:39 PM EDT
[#17]
well, I am puzzled at how you managed to buy a glock two months into the future, and still managed to get post ban mags.  Hopefully that is not a bad revelation!  As far as I know Glock is shipping their pistols with standard capacity or "intended capacity" magazines of 13 rounds.  10 round magazines were made purely because of the AWB, especially in anything but a sub compact glock.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top