Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2004 2:19:22 PM EDT
I have a G19 that I bought in late 1996 which came with 10rd magazines.  I don't know what generation is but it has no finger grooves and was not affected by the early recall problems.  About 1000 rounds with the 10 rnd mags and have never had any malfunction with various FMJ ammo.

My question pertains to the different generation of mag followers.  I recently aquired some used and some new LE only mags.  The new ones have gen5 followers and the old ones have gen3, I think.   They look different than the ones in the new LEO mags.   I also have a FML preban mag with yet another type of follower, I don't know which generation.  I also noticed the new LEO mags have a bit of metal reinforcement on the very front between the feelips.  Which one of these designs is the best?  Do I need to upgrade the followers in the preban mag and the used LEO mags?  I have put maybe 50 rounds of FMJ through each of the 3 types of the High cap mags (preban fml, used leo, new leo) with no problems.  I can't afford to shoot too much of my 124gr hydrashocks to test for reliability.  What is the big fuss about with the followers?  Thanks for shedding light

John
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:30:40 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I have a G19 that I bought in late 1996 which came with 10rd magazines.  I don't know what generation is but it has no finger grooves and was not affected by the early recall problems.  About 1000 rounds with the 10 rnd mags and have never had any malfunction with various FMJ ammo.  2nd gen G19.  10 round mags have 2183-1 followers.  In G19s these will sometimes cause feeding problems.  Typically replacing the followers with 9mm1 or 9mm3 followers will solve the problem.

My question pertains to the different generation of mag followers.  I recently aquired some used and some new LE only mags.  The new ones have gen5 followers and the old ones have gen3, I think.   They look different than the ones in the new LEO mags.   I also have a FML preban mag with yet another type of follower, I don't know which generationprobably 9mm, 9mm1 or 9mm3.  I also noticed the new LEO mags have a bit of metal reinforcement on the very front between the feelips.  Which one of these designs is the best? Newest is best, no reason to modify them if your not having problems with the old mags, 9mm4 and up aren't compatiable with the older ones anyway Do I need to upgrade the followers in the preban mag and the used LEO mags?  I have put maybe 50 rounds of FMJ through each of the 3 types of the High cap mags (preban fml, used leo, new leo) with no problems.  I can't afford to shoot too much of my 124gr hydrashocks to test for reliability.  What is the big fuss about with the followers?  Thanks for shedding light

John

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:34:09 PM EDT
[#2]
9mm Glock mags made after Sept 2002 have the 9mm4 followers.  According to Glockmeister the 9mm4 follower WILL NOT WORK with older magazines.  Basically if it's not broke, don't fix it.

As stated above, you should upgrade any 10 rounders you have IF you plan on shooting hollow points.  FMJ rounds function fine.  Glock will swap the followers for nothing if you give them a call.

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:15:19 PM EDT
[#3]
, there are about 6 different 9mm followers for the 9mm Glock mags.  Goto Glocktalk .com and get the skinny on whats going on.  Search and find info from guys who have had problem G19s and fixed them and take their advise.
 The short version is FMJ ammo runs in all the followers but the HP bullets are jamming into the bottom edge of the feed ramp on some G19s.  There are some things to look for like where the bullet is marking the feed ramp on your pistol, tweeking the mag spring, an just swapping the followers.
 Only a few G19 mags/followers/bbls have had problems.  I had one jamming a couple yrs ago and I finally got rid of it.  I have 2  second generation G19s and they have been perfect for about 30,000 rnds.  So I know some about the G19s.
 If you don't have the money or time to really test your carry ammo( like several boxes of ammo ) then tweek the mags and load the last 2 rnds in the mag with  FMJ bullets and then load any spare mags you have with the first AND last couple rnds with FMJ bullets and your HP ammo in between.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:24:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Hay JMN i seen my post didn't help ya much.  Try and pick up a couple of the newest mags.  they have a different top design and seem to be the best fix for the 3nd generation  G19s.  use the older mags for practice and range shooting.  I would mark the mags so I could keep up with what I have used in the past  and keep a long on them and come up with a couple of mags that have been reliable for you.  
 In the mean use the spring tweek and FMJ bullets in mag order, it's not the best possible fix but it seems to be the one that works best at the present..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top